The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

1. There weren't parties

2. There were but all guidelines were followed

3. Ok guidelines weren't followed but Johnson was never there

4. Ok he was there, but he only ate cake

5. Ok he was there, he didn't only eat cake but he didn't lie about it to parliament

6. Ok he was there, he didn't only eat cake but he did lie about it to parliament but the lockdown restrictions were so stupid no one should have followed them anyway <---- we are here

7. He had parties of his own at Chequers... (and his wife in No10 but that gets conveniently ignored)

That where we are actually at

How on earth does a Prime Minister not see out a term when his party won a majority of 80 seats. How does that party who still hold that kind of majority still look so weak and ineffectual.

It's staggering. They literally had and still have the numbers to get whatever they wanted through parliament, change the country and remake it into whatever they fancied that week - scary as that might be.

1 minute ago, desensitized43 said:

It's staggering. They literally had and still have the numbers to get whatever they wanted through parliament, change the country and remake it into whatever they fancied that week - scary as that might be.

That’s exactly what they have been doing isn’t it? Pushing through their batshit, badly thought out and corrupt policies through government because nobody could stop them. It’s why the country is in such a mess. 

16 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

How on earth does a Prime Minister not see out a term when his party won a majority of 80 seats. How does that party who still hold that kind of majority still look so weak and ineffectual.

Woke blob, remainers, tory traitors, unbelievers, the 'left', the 'right', trans, the gays, the bi's, the lezzas

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

And to think their are multiple millions of people that will vote for them when the next GE comes round.  **** morons.

Here's a not so bold prediction. The Tories will get their lowest ever share of the popular vote in the next General Election

You want a bold prediction? We are witnessing the death of the Tory Party as we know it. They will drop from the second highest share of the vote since WW2 (and longer but that's not particularly relevant) to their way below their lowest ever (30.7% in 1997)

It's actually quite hard to see how they recover given their voting demographics. In two elections time it is possible that a good chunk of those currently voting for them will be dead, Their policies will even be responsible for a number of those deaths prematurely but their actions during this term of office will be remembered by the vast majority of the voting public, especially in the age groups that they would traditionally target.

Just as an indication of how bad it will be, Labour's worst post war share of the vote was 1983 (Michael Foot, 27.6%).That is their lowest share of the vote and the only time one of the two big parties has polled under 30%. It took Labour another 14 years and 3 more election cycles to get elected and they had demographics on their side

I think the Tories will poll lower than Foot's Labour and demographics will be against them.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's actually quite hard to see how they recover given their voting demographics. In two elections time it is possible that a good chunk of those currently voting for them will be dead, Their policies will even be responsible for a number of those deaths prematurely but their actions during this term of office will be remembered by the vast majority of the voting public, especially in the age groups that they would traditionally target.

Is this one of those things that's been said for decades but never actually happens?

Genuine question, I don't follow politics closely enough, or didn't until the last 10 years or so, to know.

I want what you say to be true. but can't help feeling it's one of those things that people say but the demographic changes

• Like 1

Yeah I’m not convinced the current crop of pensioners were tories and are dying off to be replaced by leftie pensioners.

I think in a large number of cases, people become tory voters as they get older. It’s not an absolute rule, it’s a generality?

Pensioners like things the way they were (generalisation) and so voting for a ‘progressive’ party that might re distribute stuff like money or rights doesn’t really suit them. It’s part of a zombification process for some as they encounter less and less new things that they like or understand.

Although it is slightly counter intuitive as you’d imagine a pensioner would want improving healthcare and social care. 

Someone somewhere will have graphs on this…and I’m more than happy to be educated on the subject.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Is this one of those things that's been said for decades but never actually happens?

No it isn't. The Tory Party has been slowly dying, their average voting age has gone up and up (One exception 2019 - but I'd consider that an outlier) but what is happening now and their current levels of support will be huge. The biggest drop in one election cycle (by either Labour or Tory). Voters in the UK do not switch sides easily but once they do they don't switch back much either

Also previously the average Tory voting age has gone up but so has life expectancy, life expectancy in the UK is currently falling not rising but the average Tory voting age will still rise. If the Tory share of the votes falls below 30% at the next GE, it's nose dive karma

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

and are dying off to be replaced by leftie pensioners.

They don't need to be, they get replaced by young people

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think in a large number of cases, people become tory voters as they get older. It’s not an absolute rule, it’s a generality?

Its true but that age is getting higher and higher (exception 2019 - Corbyn etc)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

No it isn't. The Tory Party has been slowly dying, their average voting age has gone up and up (One exception 2019 - but I'd consider that an outlier) but what is happening now and their current levels of support will be huge. The biggest drop in one election cycle (by either Labour or Tory). Voters in the UK do not switch sides easily but once they do they don't switch back much either

Also previously the average Tory voting age has gone up but so has life expectancy, life expectancy in the UK is currently falling not rising but the average Tory voting age will still rise. If the Tory share of the votes falls below 30% at the next GE, it's nose dive karma

Cheers, good to know.

I didn't know if it was one of those things people say, you know like "Kids these days are getting worse", when in reality they're not.
Maybe as people grow up they vote tory so that demographic dying doesn't matter.

But your explanation is promising!

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Although it is slightly counter intuitive as you’d imagine a pensioner would want improving healthcare and social care. 

This is a lot of tory voters in a nutshell isn't it?

• Like 1

People often get more conservative as they get older because they accrue more assets over time and then vote for governments that are seen to protect those assets. 

However we’re not seeing the trend in western societies these days.

The ‘millennials’ are now in their 40s with kids etc but they don’t have the home ownership levels that their parents did at that age and are not switching to vote conservative yet. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

People often get more conservative as they get older because they accrue more assets over time and then vote for governments that are seen to protect those assets. 

However we’re not seeing the trend in western societies these days.

The ‘millennials’ are now in their 40s with kids etc but they don’t have the home ownership levels that their parents did at that age and are not switching to vote conservative yet. 

Exactly

15 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Here is tweet number one of a thread about Johnson. Each tweet stands by itself, but I just kept going and reading the next one. I urge you to do the same.

This is amazing

Â