Poland holiday

welnik

• 7 months later...

Back from krakow

beautiful city, the weather was shit, 30 degrees here it was 15 degrees and pissing it down out there! It's a bit of a mixture but by and large cheap, went to hard rock (because I do when I'm abroad) and that normal, other places £20 for a 3 course meal and beers, on the last day I found somewhere that did 1L beer for £1.80, there were a fair few English stag dos there, expecting it to be a bit of a sausage party I asked a guy at my hotel bar what it was like and he said after midnight he was struggling to cope with the looky looky women trying to get them in to strip clubs and brothels! 

the main square is incredible, probably the best urban open area I've been to, enjoyed it more than la ramblas, just sit and watch the world go by, live music, performers, about 40 choices for food and drink, obviously a bit more expensive but still cheap (£3 a beer) cloth hall is a great building but bit shit inside, the main church is good, history museum was nothing special, did a ghost walk which was more of a private tour so that worked ok, I'd say it was a bit like Istanbul where i soon got fed up of seeing massive impressive mosques, I got fed up with massive impressive churches but the square meant I was never bored, happy just to kill time

salt mines I got the impression are absolutely **** huge and I got to see a tiny percentage of them, the church is stunning, it's a good tour but didn't blow me away

Auschwitz, its sobering but not as upsetting as I thought it would be, I got my head round camp 2 being massive before I got there, i had a really good guide, I'd say the thing that shocked me more than anything else was how much time and effort they put in to making it better at what it did, you could see the development and the increase in efficiency which was scary because they didn't hit that until 44, as a couple who met studying a level history and still read and watch things about the holocaust there was a fair few things I wasn't aware of, especially the jail (which smelt of death to me) I really really don't see how anyone can deny it happened (I didn't before)

if you do go then we had a car so the hardest part I imagine would be the travel but I looked in to it online through viatour etc before I went it starts at about £30 for a tour, when you get there it's £8 for a 4 hour tour, the guide did say the visitor numbers have increased rapidly to 2m a year

schindlers factory I didn't know before I got there but it's a ball ache to get in, they only let something like 200 people a day in there and you have to pre book apart from Mondays which are free so I was there queuing half hour before it opened, it's a really good museum, not what I was expecting because it doesn't actually tell you a great deal about the Schindler Jews themselves (bar interviews you can watch on little interactive screens) but it is a museum of the nazi occupation of Kraków which is exactly what I wanted and it's a well thought out museum definitely worth a visit 

overall it's a great city I highly recommend it

41 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

schindlers factory I didn't know before I got there but it's a ball ache to get in, they only let something like 200 people a day in there and you have to pre book apart from

do you not just walk up to the doors and say my name is on the list  .....

I like Krakow  , it's pretty much as you say a great place to chill with enough places of interest to also keep you interested 

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Going to Gdansk for a long weekend with some buddies. Any tips on good restaurants? Good food but not dress up fancy. Rock bars, tourism stuff, museums...

On 25/07/2023 at 15:35, sne said:

Going to Gdansk for a long weekend with some buddies. Any tips on good restaurants? Good food but not dress up fancy. Rock bars, tourism stuff, museums...

For (craft) bars you can check here for live information: https://ontap.pl/gdansk/multitapy

If it's not on there, it won't be won't have any decent beer. If it on there, it might still not :D.

Pulapka looks like the best selection right now. Seems like a chilled place.

Labeerynt looks fine, a review suggest it's dark and music is of the "metal variety"!

• Thanks 1

there's a hard rock there but their menu has gone to shit

get the train to the seaside in Sopot, if the weather is good just sit in the square / town centre and soak it all in, poland has amazing city centres and gdansk is no different apart from its not really a square its more of a long stretch, walk the river 

there's a big new posh looking WW2 museum

drink cherry vodka

On 25/07/2023 at 14:35, sne said:

There was a place I went to which only did jacket potatoes but was really nice. Cheap and cheerful. It was good as I went with a veggie which can be a bit of a challenge for eastern europe.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, villa4europe said:

there's a big new posh looking WW2 museum

This + Solidarity museum

Malbork castle about 45 mins away

Sopot for sure.

If you have a bit more scope and time, down to Torun for Copernicus and gingerbread

19 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

There was a place I went to which only did jacket potatoes but was really nice.

From my limited experience, Milk Bars are always the best place to get good, hearty, cheap food. Then again even the posher restaurants are cheaper than here. 

• Like 1

On 01/08/2023 at 13:02, choffer said:

From my limited experience, Milk Bars are always the best place to get good, hearty, cheap food. Then again even the posher restaurants are cheaper than here. 

Not so much any more 

4 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Not so much any more 

Found a few in Krakow earlier in the year and they were great. 90 yr old babushkas refusing to acknowledge you speaking English while trying to mime what you wanted and then  serving you whatever they wanted to serve you and it was awesome and cheap. Couldn’t beat it. 

1 minute ago, choffer said:

Found a few in Krakow earlier in the year and they were great. 90 yr old babushkas refusing to acknowledge you speaking English while trying to mime what you wanted and then  serving you whatever they wanted to serve you and it was awesome and cheap. Couldn’t beat it. 

Ah the milk bars still cheap yes, I meant your last comment - posher restaurants and everything else is closer in price now to the uk than it used to be. Unless the uk has got that much more expensive without me realising (possible).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Ah the milk bars still cheap yes, I meant your last comment - posher restaurants and everything else is closer in price now to the uk than it used to be. Unless the uk has got that much more expensive without me realising (possible).

Ah gotcha. They weren’t quite as cheap as I’d been led to believe but they were appreciably cheaper than what I’m used to but then I do live in that there London. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

My daughter and her friend are going to Krakow over New Year. 

Any good do's and don'ts tips? 

I did Auschwitz when I went, plus the salt mines. 

The former didn't make for a enjoyable day. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I did Auschwitz when I went, plus the salt mines. 

The former didn't make for a enjoyable day. 

But you have to do it... It's an amazing / mental / horrible place 

The schindler tour is worth it too imo 

I went on a ghost tour there which I appreciate is daft and full of guff but it's also an enjoyable slant on a walking tour if you get a good guide 

The main square is beautiful, I'm sure over new years they'll be out on it celebrating with a ton of fireworks 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

My daughter and her friend are going to Krakow over New Year. 

Any good do's and don'ts tips? 

I can give you the details about every craft beer bar in town. I can give you the details about almost every other bar too :D

• Haha 1

Â