Witcher 3

lapal_fan

Somehow blundered into that level 25 quest to get the blacksmith to make you a new sword last night, at level 9. After being one shotted a couple of times, managed to just keep out of the way until the NPCs killed the baddies. 

I've been caught out a couple of times where I've had diagrams and components to build good armour or swords, ended up buying them , and then realising I can't use them until I'm about 10 levels higher. That's annoying :)

Had to wait for that blacksmith to craft My Most Amazing Sword Ever (hello meditate!) but was given a most uninspiring blade that wasn't much better than the L7 one I had been using.  Don't think I'll be getting to Skellige any time soon either, 1,000 crowns?  Can't I just my super-improved Axii on the captain?!

There's plenty to do before Skellige. 

I'm at Level 20 and haven't even tried to get to Skellige yet.

I'm also sat on about 15k Crowns at this stage so that fee shouldn't be a problem if you do a bit more in Velen. I also think there's more than one way to get to Skellige so it probably won't cost you money, but I'm not sure about that. From what I've seen, if you're being charged for something, there's usually  a way of avoiding the cost.

I think in terms of armour and weapons, it's never worth buying anything. Every sword I've used has just been found on various quests or treasure hunts. The only thing I've built have been the witcher school sets (which I'm guessing you haven't encountered yet) which are worth it.

When you select a diagram in your crafting bit it outlines on the right exactly how much better the sword in the diagram is compared to your sword, so you should be able to tell whether it will be worth it.

Edited by Stevo985

9 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

I don't think there's any way around the 1k fee. Part of a main quest.

Fair enough.

But shouldn't be a problem once you've done a load more quests in Velen/Novigrad. Loads of money to be made.

(selling the swords and armours you loot seems to be the most profitable exercise in my experience)

Yes. What's wrong with you?

I didn't miss it but I certainly didn't understand it, I was getting monster scores in round 1 and then losing and I couldn't understand it, the spy cards bamboozled me, then the penny dropped, it's all about how many cards you've got, the spy card for 1 and 0 and probably the best cards

I think if they did an expansion adding a new set of cards I'd pick the game up again

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I didn't miss it but I certainly didn't understand it, I was getting monster scores in round 1 and then losing and I couldn't understand it, the spy cards bamboozled me, then the penny dropped, it's all about how many cards you've got, the spy card for 1 and 0 and probably the best cards

I think if they did an expansion adding a new set of cards I'd pick the game up again

That's where you were going wrong.  9 times out of 10 I chuck round 1 unless the computer does something really stupid.  Play all the spy cards to stack your deck, and use the others when necessary like the medic or dummy.  I've also got four of the same cards which double when next to the same card, so quite often when I get a 3 or 4 run of those, plus a double your points, it adds to up a mammoth score in the last round.  Save the hero card until the last but one in case of weather, and more times than not, that's job done.  At the level I'm at anyway, but I've beaten everybody I can find.

Yeah that's what I do now, try and get the computer to play as many cards as possible in round one, use the skill that lets you call back a burned card too to call back a spy, if I've got a 2/3 card advantage after round 1 then it'll take something special to beat it

Yep. My only intention in round 1 is to get as many cards as I can and then either lose it whilst also making the opponent play as many cards as possible, or win it if they give you the opportunity and you know you'll still be left with good cards to throw at the next round.

Tonight I went back to the White Orchard starting area, and literally did everything I could find.  I now have a huge amount of character points and about 1,500 in cash from flogging all of the axes and swords of the various bandits I offed rather viciously.

I maybe got slightly ahead of myself by entering the High Stakes Gwent tournament.  I won the first match, but then had my arse absolutely handed to me by the next player, who had a never ending stream of decoy, spy and medic cards.  So I went back to an earlier save, got the boat to Skellig, and am trying to get a few more cards from there before trying again.

I think the suggested level for high stakes Gwent is about 26 isn't it?

I'm saving that tournament for when I've got most, if not all, of the rest of the cards.

Going to try and get a couple of hours in on this again tonight. Might finally get to Skellige.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think the suggested level for high stakes Gwent is about 26 isn't it?

I'm saving that tournament for when I've got most, if not all, of the rest of the cards.

Going to try and get a couple of hours in on this again tonight. Might finally get to Skellige.

It is, but it should be deck-dependent rather than level I'd have thought.

True, but the Gwent players have skill levels too as far as I'm aware, so the higher level suggestion indicated they'd probably be pretty good so you'd need a very good deck.

But yeah, I guess your actual level would have little effect.

Â