The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Do you think Labour will be in Government by October?

I don't think it's asking too much of an opposition to have a position on what is the biggest cost of living crisis in most people's lifetimes. Lib Dems leading on this, they're the real opposition as it stands. 

I stand corrected - Labour on Newsnight plan to help everyone this October by insulating homes and investing in renewables, at some point in the short term and the long term, which is apparantly 'radical'. That'll calm a few nerves. 

Edited by Jareth

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm presuming that was a position that Kier inherited?

Personally I'm not looking for windfall taxes, I'd like to see actual regular taxes instead.

We didn't have an energy crisis before Starmer was elected Leader

How about scrapping the tax breaks that the government gives to oil and gas producers?

1 hour ago, bickster said:

How about scrapping the tax breaks that the government gives to oil and gas producers?

Absolutely. 

Then tax their profit, properly.

Then spend that tax nationalising them.

You know, stealing their money then spending it robbing them - like they do with us.

• Haha 1

We are being robbed.

Think about who is using their heating over here? I dont know about eveeyone else but last time i out my heating in was middle of march. Therefore there should be  PLENTY for everyone in the winter.

I think people are at breaking point once these increases happen. I wouldnt be suprised if someone does something stupid and goes after these greedy fat cat bosses thats conning us all.

59 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Think about who is using their heating over here? I dont know about eveeyone else but last time i out my heating in was middle of march. Therefore there should be  PLENTY for everyone in the winter.

Not really how it works. The UK has very limited gas storage, since the Tories decided we didn't that sort of thing and closed the main storage facility in 2017. We currently have the capacity to store around two days of national gas requirements. 

Right now, we're frantically sending everything we produce / procure to Europe in the hope that if we go short in the winter they'll send some back. But it'll depend how desperate things get over there as to whether that happens. 

Edited by ml1dch

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Absolutely. 

Then tax their profit, properly.

Then spend that tax nationalising them.

You know, stealing their money then spending it robbing them - like they do with us.

scrapping the tax breaks that the government gives to oil and gas producers, yes for fossil fuel stuff, no for renewable stuff, agreed.

tax profits properly, again, no brainer.

spend that tax nationalising them. Definitely not. Why not? Well, firstly use it to subsidise the super high gas prices and actually help people and to pay for insulation. Secondly it’s going to do nothing about the problem of high gas prices caused by Gasprom and Putin, thirdly it’s essentially impossible - shell and BP will just move their legal entity to (back to) the continent, or somewhere else outside the uk. Fourthly, spending all that money to buy something that needs to be made obsolete as soon as possible is a really dumb move. Fifthly, the money should be used towards more green energy and even towards R&D into stuff like CCS methods.

Labour adopting the politics of the 70s for a dual emergency of the 2020s is not the answer to anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Martin Lewis on front pages of the newspapers with the message - "Wake up zombies" - why is there not some leader of the opposition, opposing? Just as bad as the tories. 

You must have missed Rachel Reeves Speech only yesterday on this very issue. I suppose it’s probably her fault that she isn’t in the papers today.

But what you are asking for happened yesterday. Labour List

“Labour would start by scrapping tax breaks on oil and gas producers and providing more help to people who are struggling to pay their energy bills. Only a Labour government can tackle this crisis and deliver the stronger, more-secure economy that Britain needs.”

https://labourlist.org/2022/08/reeves-tories-doing-nothing-on-cost-of-living-crisis-as-pm-shrug-his-shoulders/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bickster said:

You must have missed Rachel Reeves Speech only yesterday on this very issue. I suppose it’s probably her fault that she isn’t in the papers today.

But what you are asking for happened yesterday. Labour List

https://labourlist.org/2022/08/reeves-tories-doing-nothing-on-cost-of-living-crisis-as-pm-shrug-his-shoulders/

Non commital - unspecific - unaccountable - meanwhile crisis. 

41 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Non commital - unspecific - unaccountable - meanwhile crisis. 

What are you demanding from 'the opposition'? The powerless opposition.  Demand more from the actual country 'leaders'.  You know, the ones actually accountable

1 hour ago, Harkanon said:

What are you demanding from 'the opposition'? The powerless opposition.  Demand more from the actual country 'leaders'.  You know, the ones actually accountable

I’m demanding a plan. 

Looks like Labour / Starmer have broken cover and are suggesting a couple of policies.

1) Lock the price cap at current levels

2) Extra tax on oil/gas giants.

Theyll probably need a lie down now. The sad news is that now The Tories will be dead against both of these “Labour policies”.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

The sad news is that now The Tories will be dead against both of these “Labour policies”.

That is good news for Labour not bad

Labour can't change what the government do. Labour can only say what they'd do differently and whilst Sunak and Truss rip each other and their party apart, continuing in their own way to stick two fingers up to the working population of the country then eventually actually doing some of Labour's policies (If they don't they'll be utterly stuffed), it can only be good for Labour

25 minutes ago, bickster said:

That is good news for Labour not bad

Labour can't change what the government do. Labour can only say what they'd do differently and whilst Sunak and Truss rip each other and their party apart, continuing in their own way to stick two fingers up to the working population of the country then eventually actually doing some of Labour's policies (If they don't they'll be utterly stuffed), it can only be good for Labour

Yeah, good for the downfall of the Tories.

Bad for the impending escalation of the financial crisis in the UK.

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

There's little the Labour Party can do about that right now

Yes I agree. I was just making the point that because Labour have suggested these sensible ideas to help the country the Tories will flatly refuse to entertain them, making the problem worse.

Thats not me saying they shouldn’t suggest things, they’ve done the right thing but it’s just the **** up brains of those in power.

Â