Breathalyser test for football fans

dAVe80

It's just the same as clubs and bars etc isn't it?

You're going in there to drink most of the time. But if you turn up off your tits you're not getting let in, rightfully so.

Don't really see the issue. As CED says, the article says not everyone gets tested, it's just a weapon to use so that they can refuse entry to potential troublemakers

But I guess the difference is that you don't pay for a ticket to get into a bar or club before you try. You pay once they let you in (or not at all)

However, I've paid for a ticket for a football match, there's no law or ruling in how much I'm allowed to drink, so by that alone I should be able to drink what I like. I have no idea what any steward deems is being "too drunk". 

if the football club would refund my ticket if they refuse my entry I'd have less of a problem with it. 

Edited by PieFacE

You're going in there to drink most of the time. But if you turn up off your tits you're not getting let in, rightfully so.

Don't really see the issue. As CED says, the article says not everyone gets tested, it's just a weapon to use so that they can refuse entry to potential troublemakers

But I guess the difference is that you don't pay for a ticket to get into a bar or club before you try. You pay once they let you in (or not at all)

However, I've paid for a ticket for a football match, there's no law or ruling in how much I'm allowed to drink, so by that alone I should be able to drink what I like. I have no idea what any steward deems is being "too drunk". 

if the football club would refund my ticket if they refuse my entry I'd have less of a problem with it. 

There are many many times when you absolutely do pay for a ticket before you go in.

In fact I've been with a group of people where 2 of them were turned away having bought £50 tickets for the night for being too drunk.

There are many many times when you absolutely do pay for a ticket before you go in.

In fact I've been with a group of people where 2 of them were turned away having bought £50 tickets for the night for being too drunk.

We go to much different bars. :P

Edited by PieFacE

If someone's being a nob and deserves kicking out, kick them out. What does it matter if they're drunk or not?

This is different.

This is not letting drunk people in in the first place. I guess it stops them being a knob before they get the chance to do it.

I don't like football fans at the best of times.  They should do it for everyone at the gate.  Put your season ticket in the machine, blow into a pipe, 2 greens, you go in, 2 reds, you stay out, and have your season ticket melted in front of your salty, teary eyeballs.

Scumbags.

I don't like football fans at the best of times.  They should do it for everyone at the gate.  Put your season ticket in the machine, blow into a pipe, 2 greens, you go in, 2 reds, you stay out, and have your season ticket melted in front of your salty, teary eyeballs.

Scumbags.

Who are the scumbags? 

Say I fancy a pint before the game and it turns in to 4. Am I then a scumbag? 

It's not a bar or a club, it's a football match. The same rules do not and should not apply. I'm an upstanding citizen, I pay my taxes and my season ticket, which The Villa could then have back should they ever introduce something like this. 

Scumbags.

Who are the scumbags? 

Say I fancy a pint before the game and it turns in to 4. Am I then a scumbag? 

But, again, the article clearly says that it's not going to ban everybody from the ground for having a certain amount to drink. It doesn't say "you are not allowed to come to this football ground having drunk 4 pints"

It's a, probably arbitrary, limit designed to empower stewards to be able to eject fans for drunken behaviour.

If you turn up to the ground having had 4 pints then the chances are you'll be absolutely fine.

If you turn up looking like a drunken liability then they'll breathalise you and if you're over the limit you get refused entry.

Edited by Stevo985

What if (as DDID said) you've had 3 pints and you trip up on the curb, leaving you breathalised and unable to get in even though you're sober?

Slippery slope for me.

It's not a bar or a club, it's a football match. The same rules do not and should not apply.

Indeed, so what is a football match? It seems to me that football has a very odd boozing culture attached to it, which has clung on since way back when. Generally football is a form of entertainment that people go to watch on a weekend afternoon. The crowd has become far more diverse and with people of all ages. Why should a few (mostly young and male) pissheads feel they have the right to make it uncomfortable for those around them? I don't think it is a case of 'sanitising' or 'ruining the atmosphere', it's being respectful of those who also pay to watch the match.

By all means have a few pints, but I don't think it is too much to ask that people keep within some reasonable limit - which is basically what this policy is asking.

I've been to a fair share of games with a few dickheads, clearly smashed from the get-go, who do nothing but shout abuse* and generally make things unpleasant with their bullshit. If 'ruining the atmosphere' means limiting amount of people like that in the crowd, then I'm all for it.

*inb4banter

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

What if (as DDID said) you've had 3 pints and you trip up on the curb, leaving you breathalised and unable to get in even though you're sober?

Slippery slope for me.

If you have had 3 pints, then tripped over and still think you're sober - that's a good indicator that you're pissed.

• Like 2

Slippery slope for me.

As the article says, they already turn people away for being too drunk for this sort of thing.

If they believed that by tripping over the curb you were too drunk to come in, then chances are they'd make that decision now based on nothing.

This way you'd have a breathaliser to prove you're drunk or in your example, prove that you're sober enough to come in.

I do agree that the limit seems a bit low though.

Slippery slope for me.

If you have had 3 pints, then tripped over and still think you're sober - that's a good indicator that you're pissed.

Too pissed to behave whilst watching a game of football? 

I trip on curbs all the time, no matter how much pop I've had!

• Like 1

I've tripped on a curb sober more times than pissed.

Anyway, the people who act like words removed at football matches would likely still act like words removed, sober or pissed.

I can just see this pissing off normal football fans.

Â