Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Ben Davies, Christian Benteke.

Ki doesn't play all the games, and apparently they are after Westwood, Oxlade -Chamberlain will move down the pecking order if Sterling goes there, and yes, i do rate Baker higher than Clark.

He actually kinda does. Missed some when he was away for the Asian Cup.

If we signed Ki he wouldn't be playing in front of the back four, he's an attacking midfielder.

He isn't.

Edited by Isa

Well he was last season for Sunderland when he had easily his best season in the Premier league, he's certainly more of an attack minded player than he is defensive. If you ask him to protect the back four then your asking for trouble.

Well he was last season for Sunderland when he had easily his best season in the Premier league, he's certainly more of an attack minded player than he is defensive. If you ask him to protect the back four then your asking for trouble.

He was deep lying playmaker for Sunderland last season from what I can remember.

Well on this occasion you remember wrong, he was one of their biggest attacking threats and it wasn't from a deep position. I'm sure he can play as a deep player similar to how Westwood plays I guess, but certainly for Sunderland he was used in an advanced midfield position.

He played defensive-midfielder (or 'deep lying midfielder if you like) for Sunderland in a 4-1-4-1. He never plays as an attacking-midfielder for Swansea either so your assertion is wrong. Maybe he's had the rare game pushed up (at a guess) but it's not his predominant position.

SikhInTrinity mentioned this lad on the Benteke thread:  Obbi Oulare

Looks a bit like Benteke, I'd like to get him in regardless of whether we keep benteke.  Lets create a system that relies on pace, a tall strong striker, good in the air, quick on the deck and can hold it up and play others in.  That can be the Villa system.

• Like 1

I promise you he was never played as deep lying or defensive midfielder for Sunderland. I watched plenty of their matches that season. He was utilized in an attacking role.

What does everyone here think of Wojciech Szczęsny of Arsenal? Rumours they will sell in summer and he is only 25 and can improve (See Fabianski since he went to Swansea)

Would he be a good option for potential new goalkeeper..

Edited by Villan4Life

I promise you he was never played as deep lying or defensive midfielder for Sunderland. I watched plenty of their matches that season. He was utilized in an attacking role.

Well he was and you only have to look at the games against us last season to know that is not true.

What does everyone here think of Wojciech Szczęsny of Arsenal? Rumours they will sell in summer and he is only 25 and can improve (See Fabianski since he went to Swansea)

Would he be a good option for potential new goalkeeper..

I'd certainly have him. Always been a believer in his ability, just prone to headrush moments.

So your basing it on his game against us. I watched plenty of Sunderland and he was played in an attacking role with players like Colback, Cattermole and Bridcutt playing behind him in the more defensive roles.

No, I'm basing it on the many games where he played a deeper role. Either controller, or even box-to-box but he was not played as an outright attacking-midfielder as per your claim. Towards the end of the season he was then dropped for Cattermole as Poyet decided to be less idealistic in his approach.

He was dropped towards the end of the season because he started disappearing from games and began to seem less and less bothered and it was noted he could be quite lazy off the ball. Basically his form had dropped.

He was superb against us at VP this season, and for Sland last season.

He started 31 games by the way, so yes probably does play most, but he was on loan to Sland last season, and almost signed for us in pre-season, for me he is an upgrade on Westwood, they apparently want him, so for me i would do a swap/deal.

Whenever i have seen him, granted not as much as you useless, he has always been a deep lying midfielder.

When I say attacking midfielder I don't mean attacking in the sense that you might call Grealish, Nasri or say Hazard as attacking midfielders, I mean in the same that you might call players like Lampard or Ramsey attacking midfielders. Besides where ever any of us perceive him to play I don't think he's someone we'll going for in the summer anyway especially if we sign Cleverly.

Edited by useless

Ah, that's why we differ on this then. In the general sense, 'attacking-midfielder' is applied to the midfielder that plays furthest forward and has most attacking emphasis (and vice-verca for a defensive-midfielder). I wouldn't classify someone like Ramsey as such either, Carzola is Arsenal's attacking-midfielder.

He played as the 1 in a 4-1-4-1 numerous times for Sunderland last season. Definitely he played in that role against us at VP - in fact, he was the best player on the pitch as I recall - but he did so repeatedly. He also played further forward as well, so both sides are right to an extent. 

He's an excellent player, but a regular at a better team and last summer his wages proved to be a stumbling block. Of course he would improve us, but whether proportionately enough for the extra outlay is up for debate. Anyway, it's not going to happen. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

I'm intrigued to see who leaves in the summer. I reckon:

Weimann - £2 million. Just not good enough for the Premiership unfortunately.

Vllar - £0. Bye Bye Ron

Cissokho - £3 million. Can't see him being here next season. A new LB looks a cert with Richardson and Bennett as cover.

Tonev / Sylla / Helenius / Luna - Would we get more then £1 million for these 4 wasters combined?

Some I don't think will leave but hope they do:

Nzogbia - £1 million. Honestly would drive him to France if means getting rid. Just don't rate him at all. 5 good games max in 3 years. Waste of money and big wages.

Sanchez - £2.5 million. Would like to give him a chance but is he better then Westwood? NO. Gardener will be back up and think we need and will see an improvement on Westwood also, so sadly I'd get rid as he is a mistake waiting to happen.

Baker - £3 million. We have way to many injury prone defenders as it is. Don't think he will ever be good enough for a regular first team spot. So due to his injury record I'd rather sell him rather then keep as an injury prone squad player and promote a youth player (Donaciaon?) who is more reliable on the injury front.

Would love to see this and I think it's realistic takeover or not ....

Guzan

bacuna. okore Clark robertson

fer

delph. Cleverly

grealish

Austin. Benteke

Would get another cb but honestly can't think who Dawson maybe , but very decent team and well balanced