The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Yeah but it is what it is, isn't it?

There's no point demanding that Randy spends loads of money when he can't due to FFP. There's no point getting worked up, angry and frustrated about it because what's done is done, and we have no control over it. Let's not forget, we're in this position BECAUSE Randy spent loads of money in the first place.

Yes he did it poorly, yes he gave too much to the wrong managers, yes it's made supporting Villa miserable... but it's hardly as if Randy is sat at home with a big smile on his face because we're making him money is it? I'm sure he regrets the whole thing more than any of us do. 

Edited by PieFacE

I remember being in for Coutinho, :( . We were in for Moussa Sissoko at the same time as well iirc. With a little ambition from Lerner, who knows where we might have gone.

With Lambert in charge, no where.

Who knows, maybe with some of his first choice signings he might not have been as overly cautious and pragmatic as he became towards the end of his tenure, and played with a little more freedom. I'm worried that Sherwood will have a similar realization as he did after the infamous 8-0, and will start to get disillusioned as well if Lerner doesn't give him enough money to rebuild the squad especially at this crucial crossroad we face as a club.

There's no point demanding that Randy spends loads of money when he can't due to FFP. There's no point getting worked up, angry and frustrated about it because what's done is done, and we have no control over it. Let's not forget, we're in this position BECAUSE Randy spent loads of money in the first place.

Yes he did it poorly, yes he gave too much to the wrong managers, yes it's made supporting Villa miserable... but it's hardly as if Randy is sat at home with a big smile on his face because we're making him money is it? I'm sure he regrets the whole thing more than any of us do.

We're in this position because he's an awful owner who has made consistent bad decisions. And it is what it is, but I'm still doubtful we've spent the maximum possible even with our restricted limits. And when benteke is gone I'm doubtful we will see that reinvested at a decent level.

And it now seems that FFP has given this awful owner an nice excuse to hide behind for some fans. When the man himself admits he's a failure and should have sold up long ago.

Worst case scenario under Sherwood is relegated. Which was the worst case scenario under the last 2.

Unlike the last 2 Sherwood has shown more in his short time here to suggest we won't be seeing that worst case scenario.

• Like 1

The only thing that makes me think that Lerner will back Sherwood is the fact that he took the job at all.

I can't see Sherwood taking the job knowing the funds to improve would be what they have been previously.

• Like 2

We're in this position because he's an awful owner who has made consistent bad decisions. And it is what it is, but I'm still doubtful we've spent the maximum possible even with our restricted limits. And when benteke is gone I'm doubtful we will see that reinvested at a decent level.

And it now seems that FFP has given this awful owner an nice excuse to hide behind for some fans. When the man himself admits he's a failure and should have sold up long ago.

Well, maybe Lambert was given money but chose not to spend it? I'm pretty sure someone said that, maybe Fox. 

I think we're all agreed that he should have sold years ago, i'm sure he agrees too. I'm not sure FFP is an excuse to hide behind from fans, FFP is real, we have to abide by it. 

Probably the wrong thread for this but what do people make of Sunderland's supposed £50m warchest? How is it that they can afford to spend that amount and we can't?

It seems we're the only team in the league effected by FFP rules.

Worst case scenario under Sherwood is relegated. Which was the worst case scenario under the last 2.

Unlike the last 2 Sherwood has shown more in his short time here to suggest we won't be seeing that worst case scenario.

True, the worst case scenarios were the same for all 3.  Hindsight tells us the other 2 kept us up and I did say my post was 'concerns' rather than a predicted outcome  The difference with Tim is that the other 2 had far less-polarising personalities and they were what I would call a safer (boring perhaps?) pair of hands at the wheel.  Tim is likely to have more highs and lows.  He will definitely be more exciting.  I just hope he can get us the points in the process and NOT have it all come crumbling down because of that mouth.

Well, maybe Lambert was given money but chose not to spend it? I'm pretty sure someone said that, maybe Fox.

I think we're all agreed that he should have sold years ago, i'm sure he agrees too. I'm not sure FFP is an excuse to hide behind from fans, FFP is real, we have to abide by it.

And I question how much we're spending while abiding to it and how funds will be spent when benteke goes.

No doubt it will all be down to FFP and nothing to do with our owner.

• Like 1

True, the worst case scenarios were the same for all 3. Hindsight tells us the other 2 kept us up and I did say my post was 'concerns' rather than a predicted outcome The difference with Tim is that the other 2 had far less-polarising personalities and they were what I would call a safer (boring perhaps?) pair of hands at the wheel. Tim is likely to have more highs and lows. He will definitely be more exciting. I just hope he can get us the points in the process and NOT have it all come crumbling down because of that mouth.

They did keep us up but I think its fair to say we were only going one way at the point they were both let go.

I don't get that feeling with Sherwood, I think next season will be an improvement on the last 4.

I'm not too concerned about what he says, I find it quite refreshing at the moment and if he brings in his players it shouldn't cause major issues.

• Like 1

And I question how much we're spending while abiding to it and how funds will be spent when benteke goes.

Fair enough. For what it's worth, I firmly believe that Randy will give the usual £15-20m for players and Sherwood will get all of the Benteke money.

Our wage bill is under control, I don't see Randy taking money out the club.

Let's just hope Sherwood can spend it well, otherwise we're screwed. :thumb:

Probably the wrong thread for this but what do people make of Sunderland's supposed £50m warchest? How is it that they can afford to spend that amount and we can't?

Will believe it when I see it.... 

Out of interest.... Anyone know the penalties for breaking the leagues FFP rules? I'm assuming a fine of some sort or a transfer restriction but would it be feasibly worth breaking it?

Not that I can see us doing it, just wondering if it would be worth a gamble

I will be surprised next season if we have anything like the form that kept us in the league towards the end of this season. Even ignoring for a moment the likely departures from the playing squad, I think Sherwood has a massive job ahead in being the day to day manager of a club. All he knows so far are fire fights. Now who knows, he might end up being very good at it. My worry is not even so much his coaching ability which is supposed to be very good (albeit with developing youngsters rather than improving senior players). I really do worry about his gob. I wonder how long a very outspoken person can go without saying something that upsets some of the players within his squad. We've seen before inside and outside Villa that there's a line between putting players in their place and between said players deciding you're just a knob and not playing for you. My worry is Sherwood doesn't know that line.

I also worry about the form that we finished the season with. Sherwood's Spurs had much better players and Sherwood was able to beat the sides lower than him but he got properly hammered by the sides above him. If you apply that logic to Villa then we might be in trouble. Again, even ignoring the fact that we might be without Benteke.

These are just concerns rather than predictions. But the 'worst case' scenario with Sherwood in charge doesn't bear thinking about.

Let's just hope Lerner and Fox give him every chance to do a good job by providing him with the resources to compete. The rest is up to him. Best of luck Tim.

Great post. I have serious misgivings about Sherwood and whether he is up to the job of turnings things around based on what I've seen so far.

Out of interest.... Anyone know the penalties for breaking the leagues FFP rules? I'm assuming a fine of some sort or a transfer restriction but would it be feasibly worth breaking it?

Points deduction and other sanctions (supposedly)

Points deduction and other sanctions (supposedly)

Yeah I think that would be a selective fine.....

So how much can we spend whilst staying within the rules?

Also, given that we won't recieve all the Benteke money up front, how will that impact our ability to spend this summer?

And finally - the PL FFP rules set out restrictions on wage bill increases. How will that affect our spending? How much can we spend on new player salaries?

I don't know. Do you?

I don't know the exact amoubt that we could spend but I don't have faith that the man who has run the club so badly for so long is all of a sudden going to do things brilliantly. Or that the man who admits he should have sold up years ago and wants nothing to do with us anymore is going to ensure we spend the maximum amount we can.

I'm sure you do though.

Â