The 2015 General Election

tonyh29

General Election 2015  

178 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote at the general election on May 7th?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Lib Dem
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Regionally based party (SNP, Plaid, DUP, SF etc)
    • Local Independent Candidate
    • Other
    • Spoil Paper
    • Won't bother going to the polls

This poll is closed to new votes

I find it weird how often whenever any criticism of the NHS is made the American system is brought up. It's not like there are only two ways.

The generally right wing parties would love to privatise the NHS - That's the American model.

The privatisation of public services has failed the majority of the people that use them here, with the possible exception of telecoms.

I find it weird how often whenever any criticism of the NHS is made the American system is brought up. It's not like there are only two ways.

The generally right wing parties would love to privatise the NHS - That's the American model.

The privatisation of public services has failed the majority of the people that use them here, with the possible exception of telecoms.

I don't believe that's true, but did blandy say he wanted to see a privatised NHS? Saying something like "the NHS isn't the best in the world" is very far away from saying "I want our healthcare system to be how it is in America".

Saying something like "the NHS isn't the best in the world" is very far away from saying "I want our healthcare system to be how it is in America".

You've seen this third way being offered by any political manifesto?

Saying something like "the NHS isn't the best in the world" is very far away from saying "I want our healthcare system to be how it is in America".

You've seen this third way being offered by any political manifesto?

I haven't seen the American way being offered either.

This isn't what we're talking about so I'll ask again - did Blandy make any sort of reference to wanting the American system? As I said, it happens so often; if you criticise the NHS or say there are better systems out there you automatically get the "well it's better than America's" retort and then get accused of wanting a completely private healthcare system.

Edited by Mantis

This isn't what we're talking about so I'll ask again - did Blandy make any sort of reference to wanting the American system?

No one is offering anything else.

The last Tory attempt to try sort something out...

2r548qf.jpg

Failed.

This isn't what we're talking about so I'll ask again - did Blandy make any sort of reference to wanting the American system?

No one is offering anything else.

The last Tory attempt to try sort something out...

Failed.

You dodged the question again.

I just want to know why it's always assumed that just because somebody thinks the NHS could be reformed or changed that must mean they want the American system.

You dodged the question again.

Not really, we've only been offered two answers.

You got the third?

Who's offering the American way? Because most people who think the NHS needs changing don't approve of the American system either.

Because most people who think the NHS needs changing don't approve of the American system either.

Ok, Now we've got some common ground.

We always did, there just seems to be this unfounded perception that if you want change then you want the American system.

Because most people who think the NHS needs changing don't approve of the American system either.

Ok, Now we've got some common ground.

We always did, there just seems to be this unfounded perception that if you want change then you want the American system.

What's the third option?

Cant really say they are worse when the economy is much better than what it was under labour and unemployments low.

Who is the economy much better for? Its much better than under Labour at which point in the decade or more that they were in power?

I actually think the economy (whatever that actually means) is exactly the same, nothing has changed. The banks are still largely unregulated, the same people work in those banks, what has actually changed? Few more people in work maybe, a lot more people suffering definitely and the rest is just politicians bullshit. The country could have elected the inhabitants of Dudley Zoo into power and we'd probably be in much the same place as we are now if the truth be known.

• Like 4

What's the third option?

There's more than 3 options. Truth be told I don't know a lot about the healthcare systems of other countries (it wasn't me who brought this up originally) but I do know that there are other countries that aren't the US that do it different to us and they seem to be doing ok.

It's the voting system we have. It's designed to favour two established parties.

It makes no sense. For example, last time out the turnout was 65%, Tories got 36.1% of that turnout (around 10.7m people), yet the majority who voted choose 'left of centre' parties (8.6m Lab, 6.8m LibDem) i.e the majority voted against Tory policies, yet we've had 5 years of them.

How that isn't a major talking point is beyond me.

Or... The Tories got the most votes of any one individual party therefore deservedly lead the government. It's not their fault there are 2 left of centre parties taking votes off each other. 

Edited by Xela

Hahaha... Thinking the US has anything remotely like a privatized medical system...

It's the voting system we have. It's designed to favour two established parties.

It makes no sense. For example, last time out the turnout was 65%, Tories got 36.1% of that turnout (around 10.7m people), yet the majority who voted choose 'left of centre' parties (8.6m Lab, 6.8m LibDem) i.e the majority voted against Tory policies, yet we've had 5 years of them.

How that isn't a major talking point is beyond me.

Or... The Tories got the most votes of any one individual party therefore deservedly lead the government. It's not their fault there are 2 left of centre parties taking votes off each other.

Not sure that the Green Party and Respect had much to do with it tbh

Hahaha... Thinking the US has anything remotely like a privatized medical system...

What do you have then Levi?

You will be more up to date than I, but it seems millions are spent on lobbyists to stop an effective public system of healthcare being introduced.

The Green Party and Respect only appear centre-left if you're looking at them from the far-left.

True, bad way of making a point really. The point was that at the last election neither the Labour Party nor the LibDems were centre left parties, they were centre right. The electorate may not have realised it but in essence thats exactly what they were.

EDIT: actually I was right, the phrase used was left of centre, they were the two most prominent left of centre parties