Gaming 2015

hogso

Anyone played Sunless Sea yet? The whole concept of it seems right up my street but would like to here a few opinions before getting it. 

That looks interesting actually.

The word Lovecraftian always gets my attention.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

just seen the list of the BAFTA games awards on the BBC website - 

Best game - Destiny (Bungie)
British game - Monument Valley (UsTwo)
Debut game - Never Alone (Upper One Games)
Story - The Last of Us: Left Behind (Naughty Dog)
Performer - Ashley Johnson for The Last of Us: Left Behind
Artistic achievement - Lumino City (State of Play)
Audio achievement - Alien Isolation (The Creative Assembly)
Family game - Minecraft: Console Editions (Mojang/4J Studios)
Game design - Middle-earth Shadow of Mordor (Monolith Productions)
Game innovation - The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (The Astronauts)
Mobile and handheld game - Monument Valley (UsTwo)
Multiplayer game - Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (Blizzard Entertainment)
Music - Far Cry 4 (Cliff Martinez, Tony Gronick and Jerome Angelot)
Original property - Valiant Hearts (Ubisoft Studios)
Persistent game - League of Legends (Riot Games)
Sport game - OlliOlli (Roll7)
Ones to watch - Chambara (Overly Kinetic)

bit strange that the last of us was up for contention again being a remaster but destiny winning best game? seriously? wow

seems like konami are cutting ties with kojima after MGS5, will be interesting to see who owns what, i thought a lot of konami games use the fox engine, sounds like MGS will continue through konami with a different development team

• 2 weeks later...

Pillars of Eternity is absolutely incredible for anyone interested in that sort of thing. Other than a few unresponsive combat actions, which I'm sure'll be sorted out it's almost perfect in what it sets out to achieve. There's a lot of years experience in the guys who created it and it really shows. The game just leaves you to explore, experiment, think genuinely hard about combat tactics and just feels like the most complete game in a very long time and by all accounts there's hundreds of hours of gameplay here. Can't wait to get back to it. 

• Like 1

Ha. I'd usually say to not take any notice of anything I tweet. Definitely recommend this though. We've been treated with Divinity last year and this now. It improves on a lot areas that Divinity didn't quite get right though, the story being one. It's pretty brutal though, even on normal if you walk off the wrong paths. It's a good idea to research character creations before you start, I was about 5 hours in before realising i had gimped my character a bit with the starting attributes. 

I picked it up on launch but have put Pillars to one side until Bloodborne is done. I wasn't a massive fan of Divinity - found the combat dull as dishwater and the story unengaging but that all might be down to me playing it in co-op. Pillars looks great though and hopefully it'll be more along the lines of Planescape Torment.

And just today, I bought Axiom Verge. Been looking forward to it for ages and it seems its living up to expectations going from reviews. Between that and Ori, I think I'm covered for fantastic Metroidvania titles.

Yup, my copy of DS2 for PS4 came yesterday. I didn't buy the DLC on the PS3 so I didn't feel quite so daft buying it again on the PS4. Even so though, I got hours and hours of enjoyment from DS2 and I only ever did one playthrough, so I plan on doing another with a caster and doing all of the bosses alone since I pitifully required help on a few of them.

Think I'll hold off on playing it for a while though. I still have Bloodborne and GTA Online to keep me occupied in the little gaming time I have set aside nowadays.

• Like 1