What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

I got so excited when I just found this in the record rack

Its a mix of tracks by a band I liked back in the day done by one of my favourite producers, that if you'd asked me yesterday I wouldn't have remembered even existed but there it was in a plain sleeve sandwiched between a couple of albums I had no desire to play.

I was mildly excited, I shouldn't have been. It's dreadful (these things generally are). Adrian Sherwood must have been short of cash as its effectively a bootleg and it bears zero of his usual trademarks but it is clearly an On-U Sound release.

aw man, skinhead girls

2qnbbys.jpg

This is one of my friend's gigs.

He's got Peter and the Test Tube Babies this year.

On-U Sound

There's an On-U release for Record Store Day - Various Artists – An On-U Journey Through Time & Space (On-U Sound) 10″ Vinyl EP (10″ vinyl in printed outer sleeve with spine and inner sleeve).

You'll know better than I, if it's been out there before?

Edited by Xann
  • Like 1

I'm thinking Xann will be able to point me in the right direction, or anyone for that matter. Can you recommend where to start with Gal Costa (and similar)? I've been playing this to death, and am eager to discover more... 

I'm thinking Xann will be able to point me in the right direction, or anyone for that matter. Can you recommend where to start with Gal Costa (and similar)? I've been playing this to death, and am eager to discover more... 

The great Caetano Veloso, a one time collaborator with Gal Costa-

• Like 1

eager to discover more...

bhljqr.jpg

The Soul Jazz 'Tropicalia' is one of their best comps, and they've done some crackers.

Tropicalia was a politically motivated movement. Then there's Bossa Nova, Samba, Música Popular Brasileira (MPB), Jazz, Batucada... more more more

Nicola Conte's 'Viagem' series are

Mr Bongo does some good stuff, the 'Brazilian Beats' box does new stuff too, is worth the ticket for either side. If you like both it would be rude not to :)

David Byrne's Luaka Bop does a couple of bits.

Luciano Perrone's

albums are mindblowing!
  • Like 1

Â