What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

Original Dixieland Jass Band - 'Livery Stable Blues'

A group of record collectors did a series of online DJ sets over the weekend. There were quite a lot of them, enough to go all through the day to the middle of the night.

Most of the folk that played in the day were quite hip, had nice set ups, rooms and records. A fair chunk of them knew each other anyway, so they'd be listening to each other's sets

I dipped in and out of it a couple of times, then much later by chance caught the last guy on. They'd been playing for hours and hours by then, and the numbers watching had dwindled.

At first the counter for the last guy said 3 watchers. Then he appeared on camera looking like a university lecturer, standing in what looked like a standard bomb site spare room. The counter went down to 1.

He started playing 78s, and had some really nice, surprisingly unscratchy tunes. Robert Farnon, Bill Broonzy, John Malcolm, Johnny Scott and the Kirchins playing Big Band music amongst others.

Then he drops the track above. He had an original of the first ever Jazz record, 1917, in beautiful condition.

The most amazing track of the day was played by the most unhip DJ, to a single unhip listener, right at the arse end of the night :D 

• Like 2

Not quite a 1917 original, but on the weekend, a house 5 or 6 houses away had a very loud BBQ / garden party.

First reaction, I was going to complain. Quickly followed by, meh, there’s a dozen houses more impacted than me, I’ll relax.

Then followed by sitting on the patio Shazaming the **** out of most of the funk they were playing.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Xann said:

:) Titles then.

Oh I don’t think there were any real gems in there.

Flippin’ posted up above was one of them. It very much all had a Craig Charles funk n soul feel to it.

Let’s just say: Street Life, The Crusaders. The Brothers Johnson, Stomp! Disco Purrfection Remix and you’ll get the idea!

Even played some JB’s at one point which I recognised for myself! 

Yet another version of Donna Summer / Moroder was in there too, which was weird because I’ve been playing that at a little volume from my garage getaway. That stretch 45 mins version you posted up once - been hammering that a few times lately.

• Like 1

Â