What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

As @StefanAVFC said on the US Politics thread, this is quite big in right wing circles, and also in country music circles. I think its been co-opted into the rights sights, but on the whole aside from a few lines its pretty much down the middle and more about politics. Saving country music, a right wing website that pretends it isn't did a fairly good piece on this song and quite rightly implores him to stay away from his current champion, Jon Rich.

As for the song, it's not really my flavour of country music, its more @leemond2008's musically. Aside from Sturgill I don't go too much for that raspy voice and a guitar. Years ago I tried with Zach Bryan and tried again when he released his debut and couldn't do it. This though, it's OK, nothing more, and personally its not the big right wing gotcha those commentators think it is.

Edit. Don't watch it on Youtube, immediately after my algorithm was ****. GB News, cops dealing with antifa and Ben Shapiro. Immediately so that screwed me for a while.

Edited by Seat68

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

As @StefanAVFC said on the US Politics thread, this is quite big in right wing circles, and also in country music circles. I think its been co-opted into the rights sights, but on the whole aside from a few lines its pretty much down the middle and more about politics. Saving country music, a right wing website that pretends it isn't did a fairly good piece on this song and quite rightly implores him to stay away from his current champion, Jon Rich.

As for the song, it's not really my flavour of country music, its more @leemond2008's musically. Aside from Sturgill I don't go too much for that raspy voice and a guitar. Years ago I tried with Zach Bryan and tried again when he released his debut and couldn't do it. This though, it's OK, nothing more, and personally its not the big right wing gotcha those commentators think it is.

Edit. Don't watch it on Youtube, immediately after my algorithm was ****. GB News, cops dealing with antifa and Ben Shapiro. Immediately so that screwed me for a while.

It’s a really weird one. It went big on Twitter out of nowhere, the guy joined this month, already has 400k followers. It feels very inorganic. In a direct comparison for recent viral songs - ‘planet of the bass’

https://x.com/kylegordon101/status/1684963728427462656?s=46&t=eM_ttHDujCh9jtbkjgfUTA

(Twitter API with x.com not working of course)

110m views and still only on 38k followers. 

Screams astroturfing to me but maybe I’m a weirdo conspiracy theory leftie

also I don’t agree it’s middle of the road. He talks about Epstein and the welfare state 🤨

Edited by StefanAVFC

18 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It’s a really weird one. It went big on Twitter out of nowhere, the guy joined this month, already has 400k followers. It feels very inorganic. In a direct comparison for recent viral songs - ‘planet of the bass’

https://x.com/kylegordon101/status/1684963728427462656?s=46&t=eM_ttHDujCh9jtbkjgfUTA

(Twitter API with x.com not working of course)

110m views and still only on 38k followers. 

Screams astroturfing to me but maybe I’m a weirdo conspiracy theory leftie

also I don’t agree it’s middle of the road. He talks about Epstein and the welfare state 🤨

There seems to be that thing where if the right jump on something, they ride it till it dies, and this I think will be one of them and its up to him if he aligns with that whole right wing element or he produces music more like his other material. Its difficult, if you are afforded success that the right like, do you persist or go back to what you had before.

With regards the lyrical content, there are without question right wing talking points, without question. There are some talking points that if you have had enough of politicians the words hit right for you. I stress though, its not my thing. Its not the sort of country music I listen to, I like more polish. Lyrically Rich Men North of Richmond has a few lines that punch down, and the target in this is wrong.

On 14/08/2023 at 10:27, AVFC_Hitz said:

Truly remarkable.

17 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

not bad and sort of a fun vibe? And as you say -- remarkable. 

These are obviously euphemisms for cut your ears off before you listen

I am now a broken man

Non-reggae artists releasing reggae albums is always suspect, when the genre is Dancehall, a form of reggae I really am not fond of.... When its an action movie actor thinking he's a musician and he can afford to buy in one of the biggest female dancehall stars of her generation. Jesus wept, he's (and she) are singing about punani and kitty FFS

How does Dancehall fit in with his "spirituality" and Buddhism?

Ah f*** that is possibly the worst thing I've heard this week and I've heard Beatles songs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

I am now a broken man

Non-reggae artists releasing reggae albums is always suspect, when the genre is Dancehall, a form of reggae I really am not fond of.... When its an action movie actor thinking he's a musician and he can afford to buy in one of the biggest female dancehall stars of her generation. Jesus wept, he's (and she) are singing about punani and kitty FFS

Ah f*** that is possibly the worst thing I've heard this week and I've heard Beatles songs

I @Marka Ragnos took my 'Truly remarkable' and put a positive spin on it. 

In truth I meant. It's truly remarkable. Remarkable in the sense that someone had to sit and record that while that complete gimp of a man sang in a faux reggae style about wanting someone's vagina. It's so bad I just had to share it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bickster said:

I am now a broken man

Hahahaha. This really made me laugh this morning. All noted carefully. But your post makes playing Steven all worth it ...

Right up my alley. I love crazy lovers. Isn't it weird how the imagery and tone of everything almost just seems NORMAL by today's standards. Here, in their era, they're "insane." Someone uses bits from "David and Lisa" (1962) with a classic Margo Guryan song for a setting. Perfect ... almost better than the film itself.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Â