Smoking ban.

fergie69

Smoking ban  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Smoking ban

• Looking forward to a smoke free atmosphere
    • I want to keep smoking stuff the none smokers

The great thing about the smoking ban: Its happening. There is **** all you can do to stop it, so whining about it is academic.

Perhaps it will give a few people the push they needed to quit the filthy habit. If it saves a few lives its a good thing. Truth is it will save thousands.

Ahh the smelly, yellow fingered, cancer lovers are sad cause they can't inflict their filthy habit on everyone..

Smoking used to be a social thing, even a 'cool' thing to do.

But what I can't understand is why people carry on smoking when they are fully aware of the health risks?

I suppose its their choice..not mine though if they are on the table next to me on a saturday night..

Get outside and stop whinging you filthy, smelly person. You smell like a tramp!

All the nonsense about pubs having to close because of loss of custom has been shown to be untrue

On 1st July I am planning to spend an evening on the lash in my nearest local. And I intend to explain to the landlord that I will be doing so on a regular basis - indeed, that I would have been doing so for years had it not been such a stinking smokebox.

Might give him food for thought.

My God, the avatar makes sense now !! ;)

The great thing about the smoking ban: Its happening. There is **** all you can do to stop it, so whining about it is academic.

That's a scary philosophy. So theoretically, protesting over anything at all is whining and shouldn't be done as it's all academic and gonna happen anyway ?

Plus, the health benefits would save the NHS quite a bit anyway.

A study was done on this in the Czech Republic on whether banning smoking would benefit the country/economy and they found that smoking killed people off at an age well before they ended up in hospital with 'old people' diseases. So smoking, apart from bringing in obscene amounts of taxes, actually 'culls' the population too. A double whammy. Otherwise it'd be pensions this, adult nappies that..

A study was done on this in the Czech Republic on whether banning smoking would benefit the country/economy and they found that smoking killed people off at an age well before they ended up in hospital with 'old people' diseases. So smoking, apart from bringing in obscene amounts of taxes, actually 'culls' the population too. A double whammy. Otherwise it'd be pensions this, adult nappies that..

Then again smoking can cause diseases that'll make incapable of working and in need of extensive medical care constantly. These people won't be able to contribute to society, and cost a fortune to keep alive. This study may serve some useful points for the pro-smoking brigade, and maybe it is correct on some points, but I don't think it's worth paying too much attention to it. I think it is safe to say that banning smoking will not have a negative impact on tha national economy.

I'll stop this now, as it's getting a bit too cynical discussing the economic benefits of people killing themselves off with tobacco and tar :)

and i thought we lived in a democracy, freedom of chioce

So why do smokers deserve more freedom than me? Not to mention those who suffer from asthma and allergies?

Then again smoking can cause diseases that'll make incapable of working and in need of extensive medical care constantly. These people won't be able to contribute to society, and cost a fortune to keep alive. This study may serve some useful points for the pro-smoking brigade, and maybe it is correct on some points, but I don't think it's worth paying too much attention to it. I think it is safe to say that banning smoking will not have a negative impact on tha national economy.

I'll stop this now, as it's getting a bit too cynical discussing the economic benefits of people killing themselves off with tobacco and tar :)

Everything was taken into account and the NET benefit was that smoking ultimately saves the economy from paying out. Anyway, it's their choice to smoke, so we can talk about them killing themselves. It's making them walk outside to do it that I don't agree with - even if I enjoy smokefree pubs. I'd enjoy car free roads too if I wanted to walk on roads, doesn't mean I should be allowed to get it.

That's a scary philosophy. So theoretically, protesting over anything at all is whining and shouldn't be done as it's all academic and gonna happen anyway ?

Well, when it suits me and my interests, yes. :mrgreen:

Two other arguments i like:

1] Smokers should have the freedom to smoke.

Would you want the freedom to piss in the swimming pool too? Polluting the space around you doesnt seem to be a problem for you.

2] Should we ban cars and lorries then, as they pump out more shit than a cigarette?

Well, other than the blindingly obvious fact that it could never happen as the country would collapse economically, it also must be pointed out that cars are generally running outside on the open road, where smokers are free to smoke.

Well, when it suits me and my interests, yes

Bingo ! I must also point out that I am not, and never have been a smoker.

Why don't we all go and live in our own hermetically sealed little bubble where we can't offend the sensibilities of another with our obnoxious habits, foul odours and irritable opinions; eating a scientifically calibrated diet engineered to promote a healthy and happy existence until our pre-determined time to depart this mortal coil comes around and carted of to fertilise the cycle of life once more.

... and some people say i'm a cynic.

BOF is the oricle, his post hits the nail on the head, we'd all like something different, but forcing it onto others is the wrong way to go about it

Like a smoker forces smoke onto a non smoker you mean!?

Â