Paul Lambert

limpid

13 wins should be the absolute minimum target each season

There'll have to be a relegation thread though, just in case we lose the other 25 games!

I don't think even Lambert could manage that

13 wins should be the absolute minimum target each season

There'll have to be a relegation thread though, just in case we lose the other 25 games!

I don't think even Lambert could manage that

Yes, we could probably get a few 0-0 draws to push us beyond the 40 point mark ;)

Our home form has been awful for a long time. It's the one major thing that needs addressing. I think under Houllier we won 9 which has been the most for years. It's amazing our home crowds stayed so high for so long. If we could get up to half our home games won we'd be pushing for Europe and have 40000 crowds again. Hopefully with this new passing style and added creativity we will start winning more often. We need to get Villa Park as a fortress a place where teams don't want to go instead of everyone's favourite away ground!!

He's failed to improve us this year so far so I think its pointless saying what I expect next year.

What I would say is that Gill, Sinclair and Delph have added some much needed positivity and it almost feels like a new start. Its very strange because after the next two games I fully expect us to still be on course to set a new goal scoring premiership low and average less than a point a game. Yet the prospect of the starting 11 we can put out has me excited about what they can do.

• Like 2

He's failed to improve us this year so far so I think its pointless saying what I expect next year.

What I would say is that Gill, Sinclair and Delph have added some much needed positivity and it almost feels like a new start. Its very strange because after the next two games I fully expect us to still be on course to set a new goal scoring premiership low and average less than a point a game. Yet the prospect of the starting 11 we can put out has me excited about what they can do.

Only Gill has been added. Delph was already there and Sinclair hasn't signed yet so at the moment our starting 11 in the league is only potentially 1 player different to the Liverplop game. Nothing to get too excited about.

Only Gill has been added. Delph was already there and Sinclair hasn't signed yet so at the moment our starting 11 in the league is only potentially 1 player different to the Liverplop game. Nothing to get too excited about.

True. I do think Sinclair is a done deal and while Delph was here, signing a new deal does make a difference to me in terms of being excited about having him in the team.

It will probably lead to nothing like the last 5 years but I think there's a lot for fans to get behind. I said it another thread, if we could replace Lambert or he could finally start to improve there's a lot of potential in the squad.

True. I do think Sinclair is a done deal and while Delph was here, signing a new deal does make a difference to me in terms of being excited about having him in the team.

It will probably lead to nothing like the last 5 years but I think there's a lot for fans to get behind. I said it another thread, if we could replace Lambert or he could finally start to improve there's a lot of potential in the squad.

Let's hope Delph doesn't go the same way as the previous two players to sign a new long term contract.

Am I the only person who thinks scrap the wingers and move to a diamond midfield??

--------------Guzan

Hutton--Okore--Clark--Cissokho

---------Sanchez

Westwood---Delph

------------Gil-------

Benteke----Weimann

Just seems to me like a change of formation is necessary but Lambert is to stubborn to do it.

Edited by samclarke2010

We lack the creativity to make a narrow team work, and we lack(ed) the wingers to make a wide team work. I think we'll stick to wide players, but we might have more success now that we actually have a couple of lads comfortable in the position

Surely having Gil in a free role in front of the midfield would increase creativity.

Also using Weimann as a striker rather than a winger should bring out the best in him??

With Gil you can move him about depending on the game. He started off Benteke on Sunday but never worked so we changed to normal 433 and it worked better. Against Liverpool he played in a CM 3 so in 120 odd min he's played in all midfield roles. Away I'd have him as a winger as we'd be more solid with a strong CM 3 but at home we need to having more movement so I'd have a strong 2 of Delph and Sanchez then get Gil where ever he can get on the ball the most. On Sunday I'd start 433 with Gabby and Gil wide of Benteke with a mid 3 of Sanchez Delph and Cleverley only putting Gabby back in as he normally does well against Arsenal away.

Nope. You wrote that putting things that happen on the pitch down to coaching is a false narrative - i.e. bullshit, as I believe you put it. I pointed out that Dr Fox disagrees with you.

How helpful of you. Not strictly true, though.

No, it is strictly true, because that's what he's actually quoted as saying in the interview.

This is what he's actually quoted as saying in the interview: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31015504

"I think football's a funny business and I think to put it all on the manager, again, that's a bit of a false narrative," he added.

"There's a lot of things happening at this football club, and clearly what happens on the pitch is a focal point.

"Clearly the manager is the one person who can really influence that, so everyone focuses on it."Our focus for the last couple of months has been on making sure we support Paul to make us as successful as possible, and I think we're heading in the right direction."

:D

I hereby declare myself the clear winner of this particular bout of intellectual sparring.

Wait, hang on. This all span out of your original claim that what happens on the pitch is a poor indicator of Lambert's coaching skills. All I did was point out that in the interview that you yourself posted, Tom Fox says that the manager is the one person who can really influence what happens the pitch. You then claimed that he didn't, even though all I did was directly copy and paste a statement from that interview.

Clear winner of this bout of intellectual sparring? You didn't even make the weigh-in.

• Like 1

Nope. You wrote that putting things that happen on the pitch down to coaching is a false narrative - i.e. bullshit, as I believe you put it. I pointed out that Dr Fox disagrees with you.

How helpful of you. Not strictly true, though.

No, it is strictly true, because that's what he's actually quoted as saying in the interview.

This is what he's actually quoted as saying in the interview: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31015504

"I think football's a funny business and I think to put it all on the manager, again, that's a bit of a false narrative," he added.

"There's a lot of things happening at this football club, and clearly what happens on the pitch is a focal point.

"Clearly the manager is the one person who can really influence that, so everyone focuses on it."Our focus for the last couple of months has been on making sure we support Paul to make us as successful as possible, and I think we're heading in the right direction."

:D

I hereby declare myself the clear winner of this particular bout of intellectual sparring.

Wait, hang on. This all span out of your original claim that what happens on the pitch is a poor indicator of Lambert's coaching skills. All I did was point out that in the interview that you yourself posted, Tom Fox says that the manager is the one person who can really influence what happens the pitch. You then claimed that he didn't, even though all I did was directly copy and paste a statement from that interview.

Clear winner of this bout of intellectual sparring? You didn't even make the weigh-in.

Dude, this is what you said:

You wrote that putting things that happen on the pitch down to coaching is a false narrative - i.e. bullshit, as I believe you put it. I pointed out that Dr Fox disagrees with you.

Fox said absolutely nothing about coaching, so I have no idea what you're on about. You can't "point something out" if it isn't true.

Villanun you're arguing with a guy who said we're not in a relegation battle and dismisses every factual piece of evidence provided, while standing by a claim such as 'no manager could do better' which of course has nothing close to facts or statistics to back it up.

I'd give it up.

• Like 4

Villanun you're arguing with a guy who said we're not in a relegation battle and dismisses every factual piece of evidence provided, while standing by a claim such as 'no manager could do better' which of course has nothing close to facts or statistics to back it up.

I'd give it up.

Such a bitch dude.  ;)

Edited by sexbelowsound

And now I'm arguing with a guy who stands by a claim that a different manager could do better which of course never could have anything close to facts or statistics to back it up.

We aren't in a relegation battle. The season is about half way through. I don't dismiss factual evidence, I'm just better at interpreting it than you are, he he.

Really, we should all give it up.

If you haven't got strikers who can score from their own play in Guile and footwork i.e Suarez ....then you have to provide sorties from the flanks.

Benteke needs feeding and waking up.

Weimann needs composure

Gabby needs replacing

maybe Gil & Sinclair can gives us a bit of that....fingers crossed.

Â