Paul Lambert

limpid

Yes, we were poor for the majority, we were just terrible for the last third. What worries me most is that a lot of bottom teams find a second wind with five or six games to go and are able to up their game. With our hoof-it and hope approach there' no room for improvement at all.

No we weren't. That's the thing - you can end up with a poor points total without actually being poor for the majority of the season. All it takes is a bit of really awful form.

Yes, we were poor for the majority, we were just terrible for the last third. What worries me most is that a lot of bottom teams find a second wind with five or six games to go and are able to up their game. With our hoof-it and hope approach there' no room for improvement at all.

No we weren't. That's the thing - you can end up with a poor points total without actually being poor for the majority of the season. All it takes is a bit of really awful form.

You should use that excuse when slating Hodgson :)

You should use that excuse when slating Hodgson :)

Villa and England are so two completely different situations that making any kind of comparison is pointless.

And it's not an excuse. I think people need to start reading my posts properly because I'm not trying to "excuse" anything. My view is the same as everybody else - 38 points is poor and must not be repeated again. The only point where I differ is my view on how we got there - many people seem to be mistaking this as trying to "excuse" a poor points total.

Edited by Mantis

You complain about the crap football, how it is always negative, not going anywhere and he doesn't pick the right players or get the best out of them.

Completely different? 

Edited by dodgyknees

You complain about the turgid football, how it is always negative, not going anywhere and he doesn't pick the right players or get the best out of them.

Completely different? 

Considering the restrictions Lambert's working under and the fact that one is international football and the other is club football, yes.

These petty point scoring attempts are getting pretty tedious. See my edited post - I'm not trying to "excuse" anything. Ending up with 38 points due to a couple of collapses is just as bad as getting there by being consistently poor.

Edited by Mantis

You complain about the turgid football, how it is always negative, not going anywhere and he doesn't pick the right players or get the best out of them.

Completely different? 

Considering the restrictions Lambert's working under and the fact that one is international football and the other is club football, yes.

These petty point scoring attempts are getting pretty tedious. See my edited post - I'm not trying to "excuse" anything. Ending up with 38 points due to a couple of collapses is just as bad as getting there by being consistently poor.

No point scoring at all. You complain about one manager and his tactics but not the other. In fact, England have played much better football than Villa and quite often too, but you still defend Lambert and have a hatred for Hodgson.

Completely different? 

No point scoring at all. You complain about one manager and his tactics but not the other. In fact, England have played much better football than Villa and quite often too, but you still defend Lambert and have a hatred for Hodgson.

Yes it is point scoring because Hodgson and England are completely irrelevant to Lambert and Villa.

Actually, I've criticised Lambert quite a lot (people seem to intentionally ignore this) and I'm definitely not happy with how we're prone to dramatic collapses under him, but I also recognise the conditions he's working under hence why I don't want him out.

Completely different? 

We were consistently poor though.  A handful of good wins doesn't change that.

• Like 1

The way I see it is that we made a pretty decent start (especially given the teams we had to play) but were pretty awful onwards from the victory at Southampton.

My recollection of the season after that is as follows: ghastly throughout December, managed to get a victory at Sunderland who were even worse than us at the time, back to poor form, an encouraging couple of games against Liverpool and Albion, back to poor form, the double over Norwich and Chelsea, followed by being raped by Stoke and ending the season in total freefall.

Thus I think it is fair to say we were generally crap for that 24 game period and that numerically constitutes the majority of the season. Not too dissimilar to the McLeish season really. Started well enough and then got progressively worse and struggled to muster any sort of form after a certain point.

Last season was punctuated by great wins followed by horrendous runs of form.

Examples include beating Man. City 3-2...and then failing to score a goal in the next 4 league games.

Beating Southampton 3-2 and then losing our next 4 league games to Fulham, Man. United (at the time losing every other game under Moyes), Stoke and Palace.

Beating WBA and then losing to Everton, West Ham and Newcastle and a 0-0 at Cardiff.

And as mentioned the terrible run after beating Chelsea.

There were some good results and performances but generally a lack of creativity, goals and yet again awful home form across the season.

The simple truth is yet again we failed to even reach 40 points in the premier league. You can spin it all you like but even if you avoid relegation you're not going to finish that much higher in the league, certainly not in the top 10.

Edited by VillaChris

Completely different? 

We were consistently poor though.  A handful of good wins doesn't change that.

I don't agree. I think we were ok for a lot of the season but the collapses over Christmas and at the end of the season completely ruined what would've otherwise been a steady season.

Did it not annoy you the really poor sequence of results after a great win. Almost made the great wins pointless and showed a major failing we couldn't build on those great results and string a good run of form together.

Those samples were taken over a full season rather than just from March onwards.

Did it not annoy you the really poor sequence of results after a great win. Almost made the great wins pointless and showed a major failing we couldn't build on those great results and string a good run of form together.

Those samples were taken over a full season rather than just from March onwards.

Nah, I absolutely loved it when that happened. There's nothing more satisfying than watching the team you support lose after appearing to make progress.

I know its pre season but lambert must be feeling the pressure the fans will turn as soon as a major setback occurs i.e a thumping fron the september games i think he just cannot win us over.

But what better manager would want to come to us whilst Randy's got the club up for sale?

I don't agree. I think we were ok for a lot of the season but the collapses over Christmas and at the end of the season completely ruined what would've otherwise been a steady season.

Nonsense.  It wasn't just Christmas and the end of the season at all.  We won 5 games out of the last 19 games, exactly the same as we in the first 19 games.  We played quite well in the first few games and didn't get as many points as we deserved, up until Newcastle at home when we were dreadful.  After that it was mostly dismal fare, apart from a handful of games such as Chelsea at home, Norwich at home and Sunderland away.  We were dire to watch for the most part of the season, without doubt.

• Like 1

Nonsense.  It wasn't just Christmas and the end of the season at all.  We won 5 games out of the last 19 games, exactly the same as we in the first 19 games.  We played quite well in the first few games and didn't get as many points as we deserved, up until Newcastle at home when we were dreadful.  After that it was mostly dismal fare, apart from a handful of games such as Chelsea at home, Norwich at home and Sunderland away.  We were dire to watch for the most part of the season, without doubt.

I don't think it's nonsense at all. Fact is after we'd just beaten Chelsea most were reasonably content with how the season had panned out up until that point. As I said, if you actually look at where our defeats came the majority were clustered in December and at the very end of the season. I don't actually think we were anywhere near as bad to watch for the rest of the season as some people like to make out either.

• Like 1

It would be Roy Keane in the short term if Lambert gets ditched.

Would it? Or would Roy Keane say "**** this" and walk with Lambert. Keane doesn't need the job. He doesn't want to be a manager. He is seemingly here because Lambert wants him here and to improve his coaching. He owes the club nothing and has no affinity with the club. If Lambert went I think Keane would be walking out with him. 

Edited by PieFacE

If we hadn't of had 3 terrible injuries to 3 important players last year we would of been fine and picked up plenty more points. We just had one set back after another last season and no doubt it had a major effect on our season. We need to bring in a midfielder who can keep the ball, someone like KSY. Then we will have 2 decent passers in midfield and should have more possession. I'd also like us to get a winger/second striker. Weimann would be better off coming on as an impact sub, Gabby also except away from home when we are trying to keep it tight at the back and hit teams on the counter. Lerner needs to offer Ron a decent contract and put up the funds for a couple of quality signings.

• Like 1

Lerner needs to meet lambert halfway if and i say if lambert was sacked his carear would be semi broken he would look like a shocking manager,but if he walked he could spill the beans and state all that is wrong with the club things we as fans are not aware of. Im expecting a flop of a season and both lambert and lerner need to go.

Â