Paul Lambert

limpid

In 2012/2013 Martinez lost 20 games, got 36 points, and got relegated with Wigan. He was rewarded with a job at Everton. In my opinion, that Wigan team was better than this year's Villa team. Think about that. Really do.

You can say that Lambert could have bought better, but buying from C-leagues to save money on salaries is not the best strategy to be successful in a short period of time. Of his three main buys, two got long term injuries (Okore and Kozak), and one had to play at right back instead of midfield (Bacuna). The rest are showing promise, in my opinion. It will be the worst disgrace in Villa's history if Lambert really is quitting, because I can assure you, this will come back and bite Villa big time.

That Wigan team finished below a weaker Villa team last season...

I really wanted lambert to be a success, I think he generally understands aston villa and what the club is all about. I don't think there's been a manager in my lifetime who has split the supporters so much. Unfortunately he just hasn't got what it takes at this level, and the sad thing is I think he knows it. As angry as I've been this season, I can't help but feel a bit sad as I really thought he was the man for us when he took charge.

Good post, Have to take is with him not having what it takes at this level though. I honestly don't think he's been given a fair shot. Some of the results and style of football have been terrible at times but that is in keeping with what we currently are which is a bottom half team. If and when we get new owners I'd like to see him given a season with a decent budget and judge him on that.

Love the avatar by the way!

Edited by sexbelowsound

For every remark that a person makes claiming Lambert is a good manager there are at least a dozen facts proving quite the opposite

Keep clutching at those straws all you want but he will be gone at the end of the season anyway and rightly so

And you know he will be gone how?

After having had a bit of time to think about it, here are my thoughts on the situation.

Lambert obviously has to go, no question. I'm not going to go into tactics/records etc because everyone has covered it. We couldnt have done much worse this season with anyone in charge. Throw a caretaker shithouse in there and we probably would be on the same points. The two big trump cards for Lambert are supposedly his ability to get the best out of his players and shrewd signings in the transfer market.

Both of those, IMO, have been massive failures. Gabby has had probably his worst season in a Villa shirt and most of the players have regressed this season. The project is a load of absolute crap. We have no plan to work towards, no obvious playing style and no obvious masterplan. Its just been a steady stream of mediocre rubbish. The signings have largely been dreadful, I wouldn't trust Lambert to spend 50m of anyone money. He doesn't know what he needs and cant spot a player. I have zero faith in his tactics, transfers, subs or plan. There hasn't been a single reason in the last two years to give him another season.Luckily for him, hasn't got us relegated so no damage has been done really. Well other than ruining my, and most of us heres weekends for two years.

The only thing I will say, and this changes nothing but he has been exceptionally unlucky with injuries. Losing two strikers who were scoring goals, your starting center-back, most talented midfielder for essentially the whole season is rotten luck. But it doesn't excuse the seemingly endless embarrassments, awful football and this depressing dark cloud hanging over the club right now. For me, this has been the worst tenure in my time. Worse than Taylor, McLeish and Houllier. Taylor had rag-tag bunch of over the hil shithouses to work with (I know he signed them) but the club was stuck in a rut then. Houllier tried to change our philosophy and I really thought he has a plan so he gets a pass. McLeish I never expected anything less from. We all knew it would be a disaster and it was. But with Lambert, I really had hope that we had obtained a wily, intelligent manager who could the best out of this young, inexperienced team. I really believed that we could go somewhere under him. But as we discovered, Lambert is a chancer who lacks all of those skills. He has been a complete failure and huge letdown.

Good riddance Paul.

R Bear (see bold)  - This has been one of my major reasons for continuously backing Lambert. You claim it changes nothing but surely it changes every thing & I for one really can't for the life of me understand why fans can't grasp this essential fact.

Paul Lambert & the whole Lambert project has been derailed by injuries to key personnel at critical times & lengthy periods this season.

• Like 4

Of course he's going. The only scenario in which Lambert will be here next year is if Lerner decides to be ambition again and let's be honest there's no chance that's happening.

If lerner doesn't sell and things stay the same I could see Lambert walking. Why continue to damage his reputation and struggle? And if we get taken over, which looks very likely, then he will be replaced.

Of course he's going. The only scenario in which Lambert will be here next year is if Lerner decides to be ambition again and let's be honest there's no chance that's happening.

If lerner doesn't sell and things stay the same I could see Lambert walking. Why continue to damage his reputation and struggle? And if we get taken over, which looks very likely, then he will be replaced.

The former Villa Player I spoke to yesterday told me that Paul Lambert will probably be given first shout on Randy's recommendation if new owners come in & he also confirmed that Randy has held talks with a prospective American buyer & a Russian oil Billionaire.

How true this is we will have to wait & see. He also told me that Culverhouse & Karsa regularly had Tonev in tears at BMH & that, that  is one of the reasons why they have been done for bullying.

How true this is will remain to be seen.

• Like 1

Even though I hated that tosspot of a chairman Ellis with a vengance and protested against him - I NEVER stayed away or boycotted the Villa - NEVER - I gave the CLUB - regardless of Chairman, Manager, set of players good or bad my unconditional support. When you decide through blood and family tradition and passion to SUPPORT Villa you do so unequivacally and unconditionally

Not when they are winning and doing well and entertaining you but also when they are breaking records (the wrong kind) playing the shittiest football imaginable. They are in you blood - they are a part of your life - your phsyc - like a limb connected to you and to lose it - is unimaginable.

So respect for BOTH camps - no matter which one you are in - Ultimately we are all supporters in our own way. No one fan is better than the other.

Just my tuppence worth (well it was when I first went to my first game back in the very early 60's)

• Like 2

. It will be the worst disgrace in Villa's history if Lambert really is quitting, because I can assure you, this will come back and bite Villa big time.

Yeah, Lambert hawking his dire brand of football at some other poor club would be the worst thing that could ever happen to Villa, it really would.  Whatever the opposite of biting us on the arse is, Lambert leaving would be that.

It will be the worst disgrace in Villa's history if Lambert really is quitting,

Missed this first time round. Funny stuff.

Lambert has already set some of his own worst disgraces in villa's history so I really doubt him leaving will be one of them.

How do we know that the "dire brand of football" was Lambert's or Culverhouse's influence? 

if manager and coach have come to completely divergent views on how to set the team up and tactics, it's entirely possible that you're not going to have a situation of play one style one week, another the next. one view will win out. Culverhouse and Karsa were bullies. I reckon the dire football was their doing.

How do we know that the "dire brand of football" was Lambert's or Culverhouse's influence? 

if manager and coach have come to completely divergent views on how to set the team up and tactics, it's entirely possible that you're not going to have a situation of play one style one week, another the next. one view will win out. Culverhouse and Karsa were bullies. I reckon the dire football was their doing.

I'm sure Barry Bannan would have made a difference. (LOL)

• Like 1

I'm sure Barry Bannan would have made a difference. (LOL)

maybe he was bullied out the club

Yeah that seems likely.

Â