Paul Lambert

limpid

I think if we were to be taken over and had the financial clout to offer a manager a bumper deal with the promise of funds for quality players, then we would be a bit silly to let Lambert continue.

It would be based on nothing but blind faith because his record at Villa is simply horrendous.

He's not going to turn into Guadiola just coz he's been given money to spend and if he buys players and fails then it could set us back years.

Any new owners would need to forget about Lambert and pinpoint a manager with a specific footballing philosophy that they can develop at Villa with hopefully major transfer funds.

Lambert has no philosophy, no identity and ultimately no clue.

If new owners come in, I want a fresh start right through the club and put all this sorry mess behind us.

So who is everyone thinking for replacements then? Realistically.

I think if we were to be taken over and had the financial clout to offer a manager a bumper deal with the promise of funds for quality players, then we would be a bit silly to let Lambert continue.

It would be based on nothing but blind faith because his record at Villa is simply horrendous.

He's not going to turn into Guadiola just coz he's been given money to spend and if he buys players and fails then it could set us back years.

Any new owners would need to forget about Lambert and pinpoint a manager with a specific footballing philosophy that they can develop at Villa with hopefully major transfer funds.

If new owners come in, I want a fresh start right through the club and put all this sorry mess behind us.

This is what is a worry for me, whether or not a potential new owner will be able to do this with his first venture into the game.

It's very difficult to say at the moment. If Ellison came in and could afford to write a manager a blank cheque and the promise of Man City type funds then we could probably attract a very very high calibre of manager. Don't get me wrong, it's highly unlikely a manager at a top European club would leave to come and manage a team that includes Clark and Baker, but we should be able to pick from the best of the rest.

Sadly I think Everton have already got the next best thing though.

If we are getting a replacement manager with a new regime then we need to first clarify the footballing ethos we're after. I think the footballing appointment mistakes in the recent past have been down to two people (Faulkner and Lerner) with limited footballing knowledge heading the managerial hunt. Why can't we employ a head-hunter with a particular remit for a short-list? It's what happens elsewhere.

Sod this PL experience lark. Get a progressive manager with vision.

If S'hampton can get the likes of Pochettino, why can't we?

• Like 1

Takeover or not, I think Lambert should be given just one more season with the shackles removed just to see what he really could do. I'd like to think he could turn it round with decent backing, however if there has not been significant progress by the end of that season he should go.

He doesn't deserve the backing

40 million pounds worth of shackles?

Everyone keeps going on about that like it's a lot of money in modern football. He's had to build a whole squad with that. Most teams in the top 6 would spend that on two players.

You could argue about how successful he's been at building a squad on that budget, but if you buy an entire wardrobe from Primark most of it's going to fall to bits after a couple of washes.

Spot on.

If we are getting a replacement manager with a new regime then we need to first clarify the footballing ethos we're after. I think the footballing appointment mistakes in the recent past have been down to two people (Faulkner and Lerner) with limited footballing knowledge heading the managerial hunt. Why can't we employ a head-hunter with a particular remit for a short-list? It's what happens elsewhere.

Agreed. Houllier was the closest Lerner came to appointing a manager with a clear philosophy and the wilingness to play decent football. But unfortunately we got him 10 years too late.

Enough of these dour Scotsman and any other premier league journeymen. Throw money at a Laudrup, Pochettino or a Martinez.

I'd be so annoyed if we got taken over and gave Lambert a huge treasure chest. He's done nothing to deserve it.

Agreed. Houllier was the closest Lerner came to appointing a manager with a clear philosophy and the wilingness to play decent football. But unfortunately we got him 10 years too late.

Enough of these dour Scotsman and any other premier league journeymen. Throw money at a Laudrup, Pochettino or a Martinez.

I'd be so annoyed if we got taken over and gave Lambert a huge treasure chest. He's done nothing to deserve it.

Not starting a war of words but Laudrup hardly deserves it. After they won the League Cup Swansea's run of form was pretty similar to Villa's and Laudrup gave me the indication he stopped giving a shite about it.

"But since then, mirroring Spurs' poor league form after they won the League Cup, Swansea won only two of their remaining 11 league games last season and have won only six of 23 league games this season, losing six of their last eight." http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/02/05/uk-soccer-england-swansea-idUKBREA140GZ20140205

Edited by NSmith22

Southampton had a chairman who knew about Pochettino and knew he would be good, so knowledge of what's going on in football is a first requirement of any new ownership set up.

• Like 1

Some people seem more concerned with Paul Lambert's future than the future of Aston Villa.

Even if new owners kept him it would just be to steady things until they have their man.

Lambert has come, has failed and is done.

Bye bye Paul

• Like 1

Though I would say appointing Houllier was a symptom of complete lack of the required knowledge of the managerial field, and complete lack of judgement.

Fair enough. He still won a cup though and Swansea were superb to watch in his first season.Id have to disagree and say I think Laudrup is a very good manager who likes to play good football. He is a big name in the game and with significant funds I would be very excited to see where he could take us.

Assuming that isn't what occurred before. Even head hunters get it wrong and, ultimately, all that they really care about is their fee.

Some people seem more concerned with Paul Lambert's future than the future of Aston Villa.

Even if new owners kept him it would just be to steady things until they have their man.

Bye bye Paul

Just because some people don't want Lambert sacked or aren't as vocal as you in their opposition to him doesn't mean they care more about his future.

• Like 1

Apart from arguably get us to a more saleable position by keeping us up and reducing the wages.? Not something a manger would put on his CV but he at least deserves a crack.

I'm not sure what laudrup has done to deserve it? Also if we'd of got taken over and then got someone like pochettino from where he was then I find it hard to believe fans would have been happy.

Fair enough. He still won a cup though and Swansea were superb to watch in his first season.Id have to disagree and say I think Laudrup is a very good manager who likes to play good football. He is a big name in the game and with significant funds I would be very excited to see where he could take us.

I think it's a fair shout. Not least because even if he failed he would still purchase actual footballers for someone else to inherit. 

Bye bye Paul

He hasn't failed has he though? He's achieved what Lerner asked him to. He wasn't asked to play pretty attacking football.

Would a salesman that has reached his target be considered a failure?

I think it's a fair shout. Not least because even if he failed he would still purchase actual footballers for someone else to inherit.

Oh joy, talk of failure already, that's some confidence you have in him. I'm sure he has a queue of clubs waiting for him, or not.

Â