Paul Lambert

limpid

If he had concentrated on our weaknesses particularly in midfield while keeping more of the players that were here then 20m was a decent first window budget. 

Seriously? You are talking about the team Lambert inherited from McLeish? That squad of players needed to be overhauled for various reasons, I think the majority of supporters would agree.

Twenty million is far from enough to completely rebuild a squad, and two years is not enough time to build a consistent team that we all crave.

• Like 2

It means nothing because before the wins against Norwich and Chelski we hadn't won back to back games for 4 and something yrs, a stat that was in place before Lambert turned up. So lambert fixed that stat. Does he get praise? course not.

We last won back to back home league games at the start of the 2010/11 season when Kev Mac was in charge and we beat West Ham and Everton. It was 3 and half years before we did it again against Norwich and Chelsea. It should perhaps be remembered that whilst praising Lambert for fixing that stat he also contributed to us not achieving back to back wins at home for so long as he had actually managed us for almost half those 3 and a half years.

Edited by markavfc40

If he had concentrated on our weaknesses particularly in midfield while keeping more of the players that were here then 20m was a decent first window budget. 

Seriously? You are talking about the team Lambert inherited from McLeish? That squad of players needed to be overhauled for various reasons, I think the majority of supporters would agree.

Twenty million is far from enough to completely rebuild a squad, and two years is not enough time to build a consistent team that we all crave.

1. If the team under McLeish was so poor, how did he manage to keep them up and do just as well as Lambert (WITHOUT THE UNWANTED RECORDS) without spending the 45m Lambert's been allowed to?. If anything doesn't that mark McLeish down as some sort of managerial genius ?

2. It hasn't taken him 20m, it's taken him 45m already and we're no better off than when he came

3. But Lambert has built a consistent team, a consistently shit one granted. But consistent nonetheless

Edited by Ulver

1. If the team under McLeish was so poor, how did he manage to keep them up and do just as well as Lambert (WITHOUT THE UNWANTED RECORDS) without spending the 45m Lambert's been allowed to?. If anything doesn't that mark McLeish down as some sort of managerial genius ?

2. It hasn't taken him 20m, it's taken him 45m already and we're no better off than when he came

1. Well he JUST managed to keep them up. The records were mainly down to the fact we played 10 men behind the ball and never tried to win a game whatsoever. The team was full of premier league players and some of which were internationals so that's embarassing initself they almost got relegated.

2. 45mill? I thought all up it was 37.5mill over two seasons. Happy to be corrected here I just thought it was.

If the team McLeish had was so shit why wasn't he praised for keeping us up? I'm sure that year most of the comments were about McLeish performing badly rather than the team being awful.

The memories on here are shocking. The team was full of premier league players and should have comfortably finished away from relegation. The fact they didn't tells you all you need to know about Mcleish. He also had relegated a team not once but twice from the premier league (something lambert hasn't done) and they happened to be the noses.

• Like 1

If PL had taken over with us being in the top 6/8 and we had regressed from that position, then I would be far more sympathetic to those who want him sacked. The truth is Lambert accepted a tough job and inherited a huge mess that stems from MON's resignation, it would be a great lie to suggest otherwise.

The mis-management and bad decision making has caused us to regress long before Lambert's appointment. Sacking Lambert would be just another bad decision with no logic involved as per usual.

• Like 2

Do we not still play embarrassing shit now ?, do we not still turn up and look like we have no intention of winning a game (Everton, West Ham away two shining examples) on occasion ?

The fact that McLeish had the nous to understand a team needs a solid defence at least showed he had some knowledge to my mind. What area of the team has Lambert improved ?

Defence? Midfield? Attack?

I can't really tick any of those boxes

Oh come on. He's spent more than £20million. 

I was replying to Shaggy's figure.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

If the team McLeish had was so shit why wasn't he praised for keeping us up? I'm sure that year most of the comments were about McLeish performing badly rather than the team being awful.

The memories on here are shocking. The team was full of premier league players and should have comfortably finished away from relegation. The fact they didn't tells you all you need to know about Mcleish. He also had relegated a team not once but twice from the premier league (something lambert hasn't done) and they happened to be the noses.

Right, so the team was full of premier league players that should've COMFORTABLY stayed up. Yet on the other hand it was supposedly full of CRAP players that weren't good enough for us in the premier league

Which was it ?

It can't be both. If they were that good why did we get rid of them ? and if they weren't that good why should McLeish have kept them up with ease ?

Makes no sense whatsoever clearly

If PL had taken over with us being in the top 6/8 and we had regressed from that position, then I would be far more sympathetic to those who want him sacked. The truth is Lambert accepted a tough job and inherited a huge mess that stems from MON's resignation, it would be a great lie to suggest otherwise.

The mis-management and bad decision making has caused us to regress long before Lambert's appointment. Sacking Lambert would be just another bad decision with no logic involved as per usual.

Twaddle.

Nice try.  It was both actually from what I can recall.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Nice try. It was both actually from

what I can recall.

It was indeed both but there was more blame pointed towards Mcleish than the team. In hindsight does this now mean Mcleish did a good job for keeping us up?

Right, so the team was full of premier league players that should've COMFORTABLY stayed up. Yet on the other hand it was supposedly full of CRAP players that weren't good enough for us in the premier league

Which was it ?

It can't be both. If they were that good why did we get rid of them ? and if they weren't that good why should McLeish have kept them up with ease ?

Makes no sense whatsoever clearly

I am stunned you're defending Mcleish here, stunned. You must have been in frigging coma during that season.

Of course it can be both, you know exactly which players they were and you know exactly how bang average they were. Yes they should have comfortably been out of a dogfight, treading water in no mans land of below midtable, but not good enough to get us back in the top 6.

Why did we get rid of them? you seriously need to ask that? why did warnock ireland and the rest need to go??

I'm all for people having a different opinnion of lambert and discussing our current situation, but anyone talking about mcleish and the shite finished players we had as some sort of comparrison are just talking bollocks and have nothing left to ocntribute to the lambert debate.

Although I agree that there was a lot of crap in the squad when Lambert took over I do wonder how a lot of those players managed to finish 6th only 2 seasons before hand.

Becasue they had young, petrov, millner, barry and carew to help them along the way.

Nice try. It was both actually from what I can recall.

I agree which is why Lambert's been so poor.

I am stunned you're defending Mcleish here, stunned. You must have been in frigging coma during that season.

I could say the same about people defending this season.

You could but as per usual you wouldn't be taking the full facts which includes the Mcleish season into consideration.

Â