Paul Lambert

limpid

Paul lambert can not be defended anymore the man is useless, a mumbling fool. This dross is no better than what mcleish was serving up. He hasnt a clue how to set up a team.how to change tactics,motivate players etc. I can not believe he has managed to stay in the job for this long. The man needs to do the decent thing and walk and take his garbage with him. This great club is is sinking quicker than the titanic

• Like 1

Paul lambert can not be defended anymore the man is useless, a mumbling fool. This dross is no better than what mcleish was serving up. He hasnt a clue how to set up a team.how to change tactics,motivate players etc. I can not believe he has managed to stay in the job for this long. The man needs to do the decent thing and walk and take his garbage with him. This great club is is sinking quicker than the titanic

The only way he might go, is if we go down. He is keeping us in the league on a tiny budget - smaller than teams who are traditionally lower than us, with smaller crowds. He is doing this as the new TV money kicks in. Not a chance in hell we will replace him and face a manager who might say "Hey Randy, this budget is not enough".

@ crackpot foreigner

For me the only successes are Benteke, Vlaar, Guzan & Westwood. The rest are average at best.

Quality not quantity is what we needed. He should have used some of our Academy players like Gardner, Grealish & Curruthers instead of loaning them out. They surely won't have been worse than the likes of Sylla, Bacuna & Tonev

Edited by benireduk

Unless spending policy changes changing the manager won't really do much.

And how much did the managers in lower divisions have to spend when they consistently knock us out of cups?

Please don't go on about them being one off, because every game is one off. He can't raise the players he has purchased to put in  a performance.  The players are constantly flat with one or two exceptions. When was the last time the whole team played at a level we could be proud on? I'm not talking about wins.

They are one offs though. Do you honestly think the clubs that knocked us out of the cups could hold their own in the Premier League?

The only positive out of today is that the vast majority of fans attending today want him out. Today was the final straw for many, that's the vibe I got inside the ground and walking back to the car.

We will lose at palace and then Southampton will crucify us at Easter at home and lambert will get both barrels from the fans

Yes because even more negativity and moaning is exactly what VP needs right now.

My point is he isn't capable of raising our weaker players (he purchased) against stronger opposition like other managers can. Those managers inspire weaker players to very good performances, but Lambert is incapable of doing it.

You have to agree with Uncle Albert. After a few positive moments these season it's now looking like it could go down to the wire to stay up. That's 3 seasons of a relegation battle. We will probably scrape it this year but we will probably be fav's for the drop next year.(not inc. promoted teams).

My point is he isn't capable of raising our weaker players (he purchased) against stronger opposition like other managers can. Those managers inspire weaker players to very good performances, but Lambert is incapable of doing it.

How isn't he? Many of our poorer players have raised their game against teams like City, Chelsea and Arsenal. The problem has always been our performances against the lesser sides.

Edited by Mantis

How isn't it? Many of our poorer players have raised their game against teams like City, Chelsea and Arsenal. The problem has always been our performances against the lesser sides.

Those performances against the top 4 are the same as lower teams producing shocks in the cup. It's performances against teams around us that count more and are we starting to show that a couple of injuries to key players makes us the worst team in this league.

How isn't it? Many of our poorer players have raised their game against teams like City, Chelsea and Arsenal. The problem has always been our performances against the lesser sides.

Those performances against the top 4 are the same as lower teams producing shocks in the cup. It's performances against teams around us that count more and are we starting to show that a couple of injuries to key players makes us the worst team in this league.

That was exactly my point, although we're not the worst team in the league and let's be fair it's more than "a couple" of injuries.

How isn't he? Many of our poorer players have raised their game against teams like City, Chelsea and Arsenal. The problem has always been our performances against the lesser sides.

Yes we have won those games, but would you say we have deserved to win those games, and we didn't get a big slice of luck? I don't think many of our loses have been to back luck, but bad performances from manager and team.

The only positive out of today is that the vast majority of fans attending today want him out. Today was the final straw for many, that's the vibe I got inside the ground and walking back to the car.

We will lose at palace and then Southampton will crucify us at Easter at home and lambert will get both barrels from the fans

I can't agree with you there. I don't think the vast majority want him out.

Yes we have won those games, but would you say we have deserved to win those games, and we didn't get a big slice of luck? I don't think many of our loses have been to back luck, but bad performances from manager and team.

Certainly not all of them. We definitely deserved to beat Chelsea for example.

You could also ask the same question about our defeats to lower league opposition. Perhaps there was luck involved there as well? You can't have it both ways and claim that it's luck when we win unexpectedly but that there's no bad luck when we lose unexpectedly - that's just ridiculous.

Edited by Mantis

That was exactly my point, although we're not the worst team in the league and let's be fair it's more than "a couple" of injuries.

Ok maybe not the worst but not far off. Lambert has had 2 seasons to improve us and we are the same if not worse than when he started.

You could also ask the same question about our defeats to lower league opposition. Perhaps there was luck involved there as well?

I watched those games and no I  didn't see much luck, but teams who deserved to beat us.

You could also ask the same question about our defeats to lower league opposition. Perhaps there was luck involved there as well?

I watched those games and no I  didn't see much luck, but teams who deserved to beat us.

Ah so when we win we're "lucky" but when we lose we deserve it? That's just double standards.

Edited by Mantis

These "records" are getting a bit boring now - most of them are utterly pointless.

Most home losses in a single season? Pointless for sit at home fans maybe.

That's a bit out of line don't you think? I get to as many home games as I can. Accept that people are going to have opinions that differ from your own.

Once again you completely missed the point but clearly you wanted to get that pathetic dig in.

A dig at who? You've missed the point. You said these records are pointless. The only people that record would be pointless to are people who don't go to games. Its not a pointless record at all.

I make that 8 million wasted and 32 million reasonably well spent. That is a very good record.

And another shit, record breaking season to show for it.

It's had it's moments, you have to admit. (And yes, quite a few shockers)

I put the blame on the following, in decreasing order:

Injuries to vital players; Young players being inconsistent; Small budget leading to purchase of second or third choice players; Lambert not being superhuman.

I think that's being incredibly kind to an under performing manager.

Pretty obvious you're taking what I'm saying out of context. If people genuinely want him out, then they need to round up and do something about it because as things stand he will be starting next season on a new contract.

My point is simple, constantly calling for him to be sacked on a forum like this isn't going to achieve anything, is it?

Again, more missing the purpose of a forum. We have very little say over what happens at the club, fact. This doesn't stop us criticising what we wish to criticise just because it would have no effect.

Those who used to complain week-upon-week about the football served up under McLeish didn't do so because they believe they could change it. More importantly, they weren't met by McLeish-supporting triumphalists basically telling them to pipe down just because their posts would have no effect on the football he produced.

Another point is that the constant calling for him to be sacked never seems to be in a way which is constructive, if there were genuine contenders for a 'better manager' or better yet a manager who would be able to achieve much more with the same restrictions in place, then I'm pretty sure we would all want Lambert out not just some of us.

Not really, given that his apologists believe he is doing a good job and no other manager would do better with the same resources. Once you entrench yourself in such a mindset, any alternative won't be deemed viable.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

Ok let's forget who we have beaten and who has beaten us. Forget about injuries too. Over the last 2 seasons we have become a consistently poor team. If we stay up it is not because we do enough it is because we are fortunate there are worse teams in the league.

If this means that makes Lambert the right manager for Aston Villa football club then I guess expectations really have hit rock bottom.

The squad is doing the opposite of developing, with only Delph and Vlaar having any significant improvement over last season. To various degrees, Lowton, Westwood, Sylla, Agbonlahor, Wiemann, Benteke have all performed worse than last season (Baker, Clark and Bennett have been slightly better but are awful) and this is why I personally feel Lambert has a problem motivating/developing the squad. 

Combine this to the worst football this club has seen for years plus dire tactics then I really can't see many positives about Lambert. You can complain about funds as much as you like (obviously Lerner is an even bigger problem) but Lambert seems perfectly happy being his yes man whom matches Lerner's no ambition, hence talk of a new contract. 

Also, the fact a make shift right back is our second highest goal scorer really worries me without Benteke. 

These "records" are getting a bit boring now - most of them are utterly pointless.

Most home losses in a single season? Pointless for sit at home fans maybe.
That's a bit out of line don't you think? I get to as many home games as I can. Accept that people are going to have opinions that differ from your own.

Once again you completely missed the point but clearly you wanted to get that pathetic dig in.

A dig at who? You've missed the point. You said these records are pointless. The only people that record would be pointless to are people who don't go to games. Its not a pointless record at all

Everyone who thinks the obsession over stats is pointless?

I think most of the records that get trotted about are pointless.

Not at all. I go to games and while I think it's terrible how often we lose at home, the bigger problem is the points we pick up in total. If we won every single away game but had a home record like we do now I probably wouldn't care that much because we'd be doing well over all. I doubt I'm the only one who thinks this.

Edited by Mantis

Â