Group D: URU CRC ENG ITA

limpid

Well there are some positives to take out of that. Sterling and Sturridge together are fantastic and can break through defenses. Welbeck's pace caused a lot of problems and he covered defensively. The outside backs need to be more disciplined. Midfield was not bad. Gerrard and Henderson did enough but weren't fantastic. 

Annoying - didn't really look like we were going to get anything from 2-1 down.  Couple of decent opportunities resulted in either terrible balls in, or nobody attacking them.

Can't see Rooney's international career lasting much longer - 1 cross aside you can't afford to be so tactially indisciplined and not score the goals to make up for it.

Hmm. Don't think we played too badly overall - I just think Italy saw what we had to offer and realised they could soak it up. A couple of good individual performances but some disappointing play from the established players and a general inability to break down Italy's defence. Sturridge and Stirling were good, the rest were okay except for Rooney and Baines who were poor.

Even game. They just took that one extra chance.

It looked even, but Italy wiped the floor with us tactically and that was key. They took their chances and we messed up ours. Very frustrating game.

• Like 1

Even game. They just took that one extra chance.

Nope, beaten by a superior side. They had more quality.

Slightly more possession, but we had more chances really. As I said, even game, they just took the one extra chance.

If you are going to play Rooney you need to play him in the right position. Where we played him first half cost us big time. Personally I wouldn't have him anywhere near the starting eleven.

• Like 1