Redundancy

AshVilla

Hey in need of some help

Was advised to make a new post about this kind of thing i'm hoping for someone with some experience on the subject  :)

Does anyone have any experience with redundancy

I've basically been told that the business is heading for insolvency i've worked here for 6 years

The question i want to ask is i'm eligible for 5.5 weeks redundancy pay

When i started i was on full time but my hours were cut about a year back do i get paid based on the full time hours i started on when i signed the contract of employment or do they pay you based on the wage your currently earning?

I look forward to being enlightened by your in depth knowledge

mind-blown1.gif?w=479

Edited by limpid

I'm probably wrong, (I'm guessing), but it might be dependent on the employer. My employer pays 3 weeks pay, and then an additional 3 weeks of pay for every year you've worked there (wages in accordance with your current contract/hours). I imagine, the company has a set redundancy policy/package? (I realise this doesn't answer you at all, I'm just guesstimating).

I was made redundant last year, and my redundancy package was based on the salary i was earning at that point in time. 

I was working there for 8 years, and my salary had risen from when i started to when i finished.

I would assume that the same would apply in terms of hours, rather than rate of pay.

yeah apparently the business is being liquidated so i won't be getting money from them but through the government form i have to fill in when the redundancy bloke comes at the end of my notice period

It's pretty sketchy whether i will be paid what i was earning or what i'm currently earning though thanks for your help

I was made redundant last year, and my redundancy package was based on the salary i was earning at that point in time. 

Damn that sucks 5 of the 6 years i was on full time and they will treat my payment as if i was working the full 6 years part time?

Argh :(

Onwards and upwards though i'm not going to get downbeat by the situation going to dust myself off and go again i'll rise to the occasion like i always have

Edited by AshVilla

Redundancy can be tough, but in my case it worked out well.

I had worked at the company for only 2.5 years when I was laid off. They had an attractive redundancy package though. Including my wages I got a settlement of just over £12k and went straight into another (better paying) job.

It was because I was on a 3 month notice period and because I found another job straight after being told I was offski they paid up my notice as well as the redundancy money.

That sucks, Ash. Hope it all comes good for you. I've been made redundant 3 times in 20 years and I've always looked back and realised it ended up being to my benefit.

As for the question at hand, I think it will probably be based on your current contract of employment. If you had to sign a new one when you were put on reduced hours, that's the one that will take precedent.

• Like 1

Haven't read the other posts in this thread but at our place you get paid for your contracted hours at the time they announce it.

I would love to be made redundant, I've been at my place for ten years now and they currently offer 3.5 weeks pay for each year you've been there but in 2015 it's dropping right down to 1.5, it's only a matter of time before they get rid of us so everyone is hoping they do it sooner rather than later

3. Redundancy pay

You’ll normally be entitled to statutory redundancy pay if you’re an employee and you’ve been working for your current employer for 2 years or more.

You’ll get:

• half a week’s pay for each full year you were under 22
  • 1 week’s pay for each full year you were 22 or older, but under 41
  • 1 and half week’s pay for each full year you were 41 or older

Calculate your redundancy pay.

Haven't read the other posts in this thread but at our place you get paid for your contracted hours at the time they announce it.

I would love to be made redundant, I've been at my place for ten years now and they currently offer 3.5 weeks pay for each year you've been there but in 2015 it's dropping right down to 1.5, it's only a matter of time before they get rid of us so everyone is hoping they do it sooner rather than later

3.5 weeks pay per year and you've been there 10 years - you'd be rolling it!

its very generous, no wonder they are cutting it down. and yes, they'll probably announce redundancies the week after the new rules kick in.

its very generous, no wonder they are cutting it down. and yes, they'll probably announce redundancies the week after the new rules kick in.

Would it change to 1.5 from when you started or from the change in 2015?

Say lemons got made redundant in 2016, would he get 11 years at 3.5 and 1 year at 1.5?

Assuming it's the former which would be a kick in the balls.

Thanks for everyone's advice much appreciated

At least i'll get to see more of the boring thread in the upcoming weeks

Never nice to hear, hopefully something comes up straight away. What industry?

I had a very niche job i suppose its finance

Skip Tracing for a private investigation agency finding anything like it again will be difficult 

I must admit it was tempting to have a look at where Villa Players were living but i'd break Data Protection which is a big no no

I did think about going freelance and doing it myself setting up a website but you need to jump through so many hoops

You have to be a member of the CSA and have the correct certificates which cost a a bomb to get access to the correct databases such as Equifax and Experian

Edited by AshVilla

Unless your hours were cut temporarily (i.e. you have been on Short Time and your contractual hours haven't changed) then your Statutory Redundancy Payment will be based on your reduced hours, I'm afraid.

The rules about "a week's pay" are very complicated, I'm an employment lawyer but I have to check and recheck them myself quite often, but as a general rule if you have normal working hours and your pay does not vary with the amount of work done in those hours then you are entitled to be paid what you would be paid for the working week under the contract in force at the relevant time (i.e. now.)

If your pay does vary e.g. because you get commission, overtime etc then the calculation is based on the average of the previous 12 weeks although then again there are quite complicated rules about which weeks count, 

If you get stuck you can always DM me and I can see whether I can help.  

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1

I work for an Insolvency Company, you should receive an RP1 form from the Insolvency Practitioner that you will need to complete and return to them.  They will then upload your details to the Redundancy Payments Office (RPO) via an electronic link and forward the original form onto them.  You should be paid as follows:

1) Compensatory Notice pay.  - This will be dependent upon when your employer gives you notice.  You are entitled to 4 weeks notice, if they fail to give you this, the RPO should pay you any notice you were entitled to, but didn't receive.

2) Arrears of Pay / Holiday Pay - As the name says, this is for any pay, or holiday entitlement, you have not received.  The preferential limit for this (ie an amount that gets paid first in an Insolvency Situation) is £464 per week.

3) Statuotory Redundancy Pay - This is dependent upon your age and your length of service.  You must have worked with the company for a minimum of 2 years. 

A helpful leaflet can be found here.(The rates and weekly limits are out of date, but the main principles haven't changed)

• Like 1

Wouldn't your first 10 years service be ringfenced at 3.5? Or maybe new starters from 2015 have the reduced package?. That's what happens at our place. Pre 1996 starters get 4 weeks per year, then 96-2010 get a different scale and anyone employed after gets a lot less. 

Would it change to 1.5 from when you started or from the change in 2015?

Say lemons got made redundant in 2016, would he get 11 years at 3.5 and 1 year at 1.5?

Assuming it's the former which would be a kick in the balls.

Why would anyone make a lemon redundant?

After 2015 it is 1.5 weeks for each year regardless if how long you have been there so I'd stand to lose a considerable wedge

Edited by leemond2008

Â