Possible VT Adware?

villaajax

Question

Is anybody else having a problem when browsing VT that the page keeps trying to redirect you to various dodgy websites? The main one being a 'Flash' media player update.

I keep getting this but it only happens when I'm on VT, all other sites I visit seem fine but as soon as I get onto VT, the page tries to redirect me.

I've scanned my system using different pieces of anti-virus, ant-spyware, anti-malware, anti-adware, I've cleared my browser yet this still keeps on happening?

May end up doing a rebuild if it turns out to be my computer.

I've disabled one of the advertisers. It'll be a short while before they stop being served. If this happens to anyone again after midnight (UK time) can they let me know.

Please follow this topic for updates.

Can you PM me some examples of where it's redirecting to? I've not seen this and I suspect I load more pages than most.

Just because you are only seeing this on VT doesn't mean that either they are coming from VT or that it's the only site affected. It might be that one of the advertisers we use is compromised, or you have malware targeting a particular advertiser but other sites you visit don't use that advertiser. Various DNSChanger clones work by redirecting ad requests to their own revenue streams.

Also (and I'm assuming it's obvious) but how do you know these "flash" sites are dodgy?

If possible can you also confirm that it happens from more than one computer and preferably from more than one internet connection? This will discount it being your PC and your router/ISP respectively.

yep, Java and some Monkey King game are the two I've got.

Appears to arrive in a cluster. It's happened from work and home, made it unusable about an hour or so ago but has stopped now.

Presumed they were bogus as the Java one has a random address whereas I'd naively expect it to have Java written in there somewhere.

• Like 1

yep, Java and some Monkey King game are the two I've got.

Appears to arrive in a cluster. It's happened from work and home, made it unusable about an hour or so ago but has stopped now.

Presumed they were bogus as the Java one has a random address whereas I'd naively expect it to have Java written in there somewhere.

Yep it happened to me constantly for about an hour or so and earlier and have had literally none since.

Yeah, I'm getting this a lot too for a supposed Java update. Crucially, I'm not getting it at all on most other websites. Also, I'm often taken to websites from ads that display at the top of the page despite not clicking on them.

Edited by Mantis

Yeah, I'm getting this a lot too for a supposed Java update. Crucially, I'm not getting it at all on most other websites. Also, I'm often taken to websites from ads that display at the top of the page despite not clicking on them.

and (as I asked) has this happened since midnight UK time?

It's stopped for me, as of today. Whatever you did worked.

Haven't had it since yesterday.

It's started happening again a few times for me today :mellow: seems to be the same page it's trying to load but I didn't think to catch what the address was. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Got it again

http://download.adoboon.us/Flashplay/Lem/App/MD/UK/auload.html?installer=Flash_Player_11_for_Other_Browsers&browser_type=KHTML&dualoffer=false

Edited by villaajax