Roy Keane

TrentVilla

be no messing or drinking culture at the club now. Keane will treat players well IF they want to play for the club. Think he has learned from his mistakes at Sunderland and Ipswich and without all the power he might do a good job here

• Like 1

Woeful record as a manager and shown on numerous occassions just how out of touch with players and supporters he is.

That is even before you take into consideration that he is one of the biggest pricks you could possibly meet within football.

Our players are going from a bullied culture in Karsa and Culverhouse to this. I wonder what they think of this appointment. Can't say I'm overly impressed. At all.

• Like 1

Woeful record as a manager and shown on numerous occassions just how out of touch with players and supporters he is.

That is even before you take into consideration that he is one of the biggest pricks you could possibly meet within football.

Our players are going from a bullied culture in Karsa and Culverhouse to this. I wonder what they think of this appointment. Can't say I'm overly impressed. At all.

I really doubt he's going to be all thunderdick bully boy if he's got an ounce of sense, either here or with ROI as assistant. He's clearly trying to pull his career out of the fire and seems to be a bit older and wiser. He's still Roy Keane though so best make sure the bibs and balls are in order or it's feckin up yir ballix ;)

No he hasn’t.

How is taking a bottom of the table championship side to the premier league a woeful record?

Taking a team that had huge investment after losing their first four games of the season (and weren't bottom) to the Premier League isn't an amazing achievement. The likes of Iain Dowie's achievement at Crystal Palace was about 100 times more impressive (and doesn't exactly make him a good manager either...). He then had a below average season in the Premier League followed by an awful start to the next and he walked away when the going got tough. He then took over at Ipswitch Town, signed numerous Premier League players, and started a season going 14 games without a win. Yes, 14 games. Then walked away from that job. I'd say that his success in management is well below average / woeful.

Can't see any redeeming features in this guy at all... the fact that he is controversial and doesn't care who he pisses off strangely seems to endere him to many. To me though he comes across as a spoilt brat who walks away from situations that he can't control (has happened at every crossroads in his career) and upsets numerous people along the way. How this qualifies him as a competent assistant manager at Aston Villa I'll never know.

Edited by AstonMartin82
  • Like 3

No he hasn’t.How is taking a bottom of the table championship side to the premier league a woeful record?

This is starting to grate on me. He took over very early in the season, so saying "a bottom of the table Championship side" is a tad misleading. They had one of the best squads in the league and were always expected to challange for promotion. Yes, Keane still did a good job that season to achieve this after the bad start but let's put it in context eh?

Edited by Isa

“Roy was probably the biggest influence on my career,” Fletcher added. “He would come down hard on me if I ever did anything wrong but he made me realise what it meant to be a Manchester United player. I can remember coming in from training one day and checking my mobile phone for text messages. Well, that was it. He absolutely hammered me, all the way into the gym. He was a great influence, really. If Roy had a go at you, he did it because he cared. He was the best captain you could wish for. He would tear you to shreds on the pitch if you gave away the ball, ‘get your effing touch right, effing this, effing that’ but, as soon as you got into the dressing room, it was over. He was a winner. I’ve met dedicated professionals but he had something else.”

Darren Fletcher on Roy Keane.

Personally I think he is exactly what some of our players need.

• Like 1

He has been appointed as the assistant manager not the manager.

Try telling that to those making strawman defences of his managerial career.

14 games without a win? Whoa! That is Lambertesque!

Only it's not is it?

And the likes of Roy Keane going 14 games without a win with Ipswich in that league is the eqivilent of someone taking over Everton in the PL and going 14 games without a win. It truly is exceptional in a world of exceptions.

“Roy was probably the biggest influence on my career,” Fletcher added. “He would come down hard on me if I ever did anything wrong but he made me realise what it meant to be a Manchester United player. I can remember coming in from training one day and checking my mobile phone for text messages. Well, that was it. He absolutely hammered me, all the way into the gym. He was a great influence, really. If Roy had a go at you, he did it because he cared. He was the best captain you could wish for. He would tear you to shreds on the pitch if you gave away the ball, ‘get your effing touch right, effing this, effing that’ but, as soon as you got into the dressing room, it was over. He was a winner. I’ve met dedicated professionals but he had something else.”

This approach works for some, though I fear it to be the exception rather than the rule. There is no doubt he drilled people hard and wanted the best the whole time but in our dressing room I feel he is going to alienate more people than he drives to success.

This approach works for some, though I fear it to be the exception rather than the rule. There is no doubt he drilled people hard and wanted the best the whole time but in our dressing room I feel he is going to alienate more people than he drives to success.

I personally think the opposite, although I guess we'll see. I reckon our players are far too soft, as a team we are far, far too soft. Not just in terms of "oh we should foul more", but for example there are times where we're 2-0 up yet we end up drawing and even losing. This just cannot happen, we need to be firmer, we need some grit and steel about us. 

I think Keano can provide that, or at least drill it into some of our players. The only people I've ever seen call Roy Keane a bully are Alex Ferguson and Tony Cascarino. The former said that he bullied John O'Shea and Darren Fletcher, yet both players have rubbished such claims and both seem to hold Keane in high regard. 

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 4

Â