Roy Keane

TrentVilla

You know that's not a team talk, right? That's an interview. They're not the same.

Yeah but he's probably got a similar attitude when he talks to the players. 

And you know this how.

You know that's not a team talk, right? That's an interview. They're not the same.

Yeah but he's probably got a similar attitude when he talks to the players. 

And you know this how.

That's what I was going to ask.

Post-match interviews are pretty much useless for giving us an idea of what he's like during team talks. They're two completely different things and I still don't know why people get so bothered by Lambert's interviews.

Whether Lambert is as quite as a mouse or like a raging bull during team talks it is safe to assume that whatever he is doing isn't having the desired effect 80% of the time. If it is then he is a worse manager than even his harshest critic assumed.

With regard to Roy Keane I'd like to think one of his strengths will be that he will be able to in the short term at least motivate the players to give their all something that was sadly lacking all too often last season. Being outplayed by skill and better players is one thing but we found ourselves being out fought and bullied in games last season and that is inexcusable.

Edited by markavfc40

Whether Lambert is as quite as a mouse or like a raging ball during team talks it is safe to assume that whatever he is doing isn't having the desired effect 80% of the time. If it is then he is a worse manager than even his harshest critic assumed.

I can't argue with that. While I doubt he just said "Hey good game guys, we'll get them next time" after Stoke beat us 4-1, it is clear that regardless of what he was saying, it wasn't having the desired effect.

With regard to Roy Keane I'd like to think one of his strengths will be that he will be able to in the short term at least motivate the players to give their all something that was sadly lacking all too often last season. Being outplayed by skill and better players is one thing but we found ourselves being out fought and bullied in games last season and that is inexcusable.

Agreed. My hope is that Roy Keane can instill some mental toughness that has been severely lacking the last two seasons. Attitude and confidence can make a big difference.

• Like 1

I really don't understand how it will work. Keane is the sort of character who will come out and speak his mind underperforming players, team not performing etc. We all know what he is like. Lambert is the polar opposite. I can see this ending.in nothing but tears

I think maybe lambert is like that for the cameras but behind closed doors, I get the feeling he's not afraid to say it like it is. There's a difference In criticising in public and keeping it for the changing rooms

How do you know how positive and nice Lambert is during team talks?

Every time we lose he always goes on some sort of 'I can't fault the players, we gave it our best and we have to go again' type interview. Seems like he's trying to be too nice instead of criticizing players when they mess up.

He's protecting the players. Doesn't mean his team talks are like that.

We have a part time assistant manager, whoopety doo!

Are you Irish then?

?

Well, he'll be 'part time' at ROI. I'd imagine his position at Villa will be very much full time, let us not forget that when there are ROI games, we won't be playing.

Any reason to take a dig though, eh?

Here is the article stating he'll be announced today:

Aston Villa are ready to announce the appointment of Roy Keane as assistant boss within the next 24 hours.

Villa manager Paul Lambert has turned to the fiery former Sunderland and Ipswich boss to provide fresh inspiration to a squad which has struggled through successive survival battles in the Premier League. Villa have thrashed out a deal which will enable the Corkman to combine his new role with the assistant manager’s position he has taken under Martin O’Neill with the Republic of Ireland.

Keane arrives as a replacement in Lambert’s management structure for the two aides sacked at the end of last season, coach Ian Culverhouse and head of football operations Gary Karsa.

The job-share arrangement will save Villa money at a time when every penny is being counted at the club and owner Randy Lerner is keeping investment to a minimum.

The Premier League club expect Keane to be with them for all of the pre-season sessions – the players report back on July 7 – at a time when the future of other key figures remain the subject of speculation.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2014/06/30/roy-keane-set-to-become-assistant-at-aston-villa/ 

Edited by samjp26

I can't see why you'd go to the hassle of firing Culverhouse and Karsey for "bullying", then appoint a complete and utter nutjob like Roy Keane as a replacement, who's hardly known for his interpersonal skills.

We have a part time assistant manager, whoopety doo!

Are you Irish then?
?

Well, he'll be 'part time' at ROI. I'd imagine his position at Villa will be very much full time, let us not forget that when there are ROI games, we won't be playing.

Any reason to take a dig though, eh?

Here is the article stating he'll be announced today:

Aston Villa are ready to announce the appointment of Roy Keane as assistant boss within the next 24 hours.

Villa manager Paul Lambert has turned to the fiery former Sunderland and Ipswich boss to provide fresh inspiration to a squad which has struggled through successive survival battles in the Premier League. Villa have thrashed out a deal which will enable the Corkman to combine his new role with the assistant manager’s position he has taken under Martin O’Neill with the Republic of Ireland.

Keane arrives as a replacement in Lambert’s management structure for the two aides sacked at the end of last season, coach Ian Culverhouse and head of football operations Gary Karsa.

The job-share arrangement will save Villa money at a time when every penny is being counted at the club and owner Randy Lerner is keeping investment to a minimum.

The Premier League club expect Keane to be with them for all of the pre-season sessions – the players report back on July 7 – at a time when the future of other key figures remain the subject of speculation.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2014/06/30/roy-keane-set-to-become-assistant-at-aston-villa/

Oh so for ROI all he has to do is turn up when they are playing. He doesn't have any involvement with them outside of match day! Silly me, I thought he might have to do some assistant managing for them too.

• Like 1

Â