FA considering allowing clubs to have "B" teams.

The_Rev

Here's an idea, because I like the concept of B teams but it might be too top side heavy.

Make the B team comply with the stringent fair play rules of the football league. Those B sides could only spend 60% of what they generate on wages, and this money "generated" can't be subsidized by the A team, and neither can the ages paid to the player.

B sides can help clubs not at the top though, that's being overlooked. The likes or robinson, donacien, etc could've been playing regular professional football with the same coaches that brought them through.

It could also be made to mimic Germany in that there is a highest league the reserves can reach. Maybe league one. But this ideas issue is that the English lower leagues have no comparison to anywhere else in the world. They're far stronger, more supported, and have a better history. So the more I think about this the more against it I am.

• Like 2

B sides can help clubs not at the top though, that's being overlooked. The likes or robinson, donacien, etc could've been playing regular professional football with the same coaches that brought them through.

How does that help clubs not at the top? Unless you mean clubs that are lower in the PL aren't 'at the top'. I don't think this will harm lower Premier League clubs, I'm more concerned about it pushing 20 other professional clubs lower down the league pyramid when many are struggling already. This could genuinely put clubs out of business, all for the sake of giving highly paid Premier League squad players more match practice because their clubs decided they didn't want to partake in the reserve league anymore.

I'd like to see a return of the reserve league, but a B team league in the league pyramid would be a step too far for me, Premier League interests shouldn't be put ahead of the interests of the English game as a whole

This would be another nail in the coffin of football as we used to know it.

It would also be the final straw for me .

Say goodbye to football so because there will be 'B' teams in a league (league three probably) before too long. The "big" clubs want it and they have the money so they'll get what they want. It also gives the FA a chance to pretend they care about getting more English players playing with the biggest clubs. It's a win-win for everyone, except of course for the lower league teams for whom it will decimate, but who cares about them. They don't even have money.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 2

If premier league clubs are so concerned about giving their younger players "crucial" lower league experience, why not just get themselves relegated and save all this restructure?! :P

Edited by CardiffGreens

Doesn't seem to be a popular view on here but I would definitely be in support of this if done right.

I don't want to see a Championship full of B teams but if they were limited to rising to a certain level then I'd be up for it. Also it ought to be only home grown players as that is the point of doing this in first place.

The reserve league was crap and the U21 league we currently have is even worse.

Whether it is B teams or any other solution we need to make it easier for the most talented kids to be playing men's football as soon as possible. Look at what it has done for Jack Grealish over the last year and Samir Curruthers before he got injured. Then look at Jordan Graham (I know he's had a bad injury), Graham Burke, Janoi Donacien, Daniel Johnson all talented lads who are miles away from first team because no club has come in for them on loan.

Doesn't seem to be a popular view on here but I would definitely be in support of this if done right.

I don't want to see a Championship full of B teams but if they were limited to rising to a certain level then I'd be up for it.

So they limit it to league one, and after a few years when enough B teams get promoted we end up with the majotyi of League 1 clubs in League 2, and most of the league 2 clubs being pushed down to non-league. All so the kids can have a kickaround even though they'll eventually just end up playing exactly the same opponents they would in a youth/reserve league bar a handful of fixtures a year from the few teams who get promoted/relegated in to it each season.

If the fa are so worried bout the level of English players they should start a team at the bottom of the footballing ladder, conference? Which the fa pay for and allow only English players under 21 to play in it. All players will sign exclusively for this under 21 team, no loans of any kind, with a wage structure that cannot he amended or subsidised. If the team is in league one then all the players get the same wages which reflect the average of the league. This team will be promoted and relegated just like any other team. Once the players are older than 21 they will find a good club if they are good enough and if they are smart and enjoyed their experience of playing competitively regularly they will sign for a team like Doncaster and play regular football instead of chelsea and being stuck in loan limbo. Their is wealth of English footballing talent who could be world class if they played enough football but they never will if they are all kidnapped by the top teams then farmed out so no other teams can use the players to progress

Get these English kids playing regular competitive football and we will see a dramatic change in the quality

All the top clubs their best or star players are all foreigners, so when it comes to internationals the players don't have the experience of confidence to play and be confident they can compete

Every top English player we have had has got a big move and hasn't progressed like they should have.

All the blame also cannot be put on the fa as we have excellent talents like Barkley comin through who will benefit by staying at Everton but he will end up at top 4 club who will no doubt ruin him, same for sterling who within 2 years will be another lennon/swp

I don't know the ages but if the fa started a English only team it would be like the u21 playing together full time

Butland

Stones smalling jones shaw

Chalobah wilshire

Ince Hughes sterling

Wickham

I would trust that team to finish higher than villa in the prem

I don't want to see a Championship full of B teams but if they were limited to rising to a certain level then I'd be up for it.

So they limit it to league one, and after a few years when enough B teams get promoted we end up with the majotyi of League 1 clubs in League 2, and most of the league 2 clubs being pushed down to non-league. All so the kids can have a kickaround even though they'll eventually just end up playing exactly the same opponents they would in a youth/reserve league bar a handful of fixtures a year from the few teams who get promoted/relegated in to it each season.

In my opinion you are over simplifying. I don't think it would be automatic that a team of U21 would automatically start spanking all of the lower league teams. I'm pretty sure there would be a decent mix between the leagues.

Having seen our U21s play a lot over the last few years I think they would be schooled big time by some seasoned pros and learn some pretty harsh and pretty quick lessons along the way. 

Of course the clubs would then receive bids for some of the better B players which the parent club may expect if they didn't think the player would reach first team level. So it would actually just recycle talented players around the leagues a lot quicker.

I'm in favour because right now we have a situation where the big clubs take the best talented kids who have little to no chance of ever making the first team. Which means their first taste of "mens" football comes several years later than it needed to and often with the kid on a downer because they've been let go by the club of their dreams.

This solution seems to offer a way of reintegrating those talented kids back into the system (at all levels) a lot quicker.

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

Saw something on BBC news this morning where another Greg Dyke proposal alongside this is to limit non-EU players to 2 for each prem team and none in the lower leagues???! Did I misunderstand or is this what he is suggesting??

Â