FA considering allowing clubs to have "B" teams.

The_Rev

From The BBC: 

A new competition for Premier League and Championship clubs to field B teams will be considered by the Football Association on Wednesday.

It is being proposed that the teams could play in a league sandwiched between League Two and the Conference.
Another option is to merge League Two and the Conference with the B teams to form two regional leagues.
The proposals are part of FA chairman Greg Dyke's commission on the future of the national team.
It is understood that the Premier League and Football League clubs are broadly in favour of the B team concept, which would be predominantly made up of homegrown players, but have reservations about how it might fit into the pyramid and the knock-on effects to other leagues and competitions.
One question is whether current League Two clubs would be relegated into the Conference or the new B team league if they went down. The other difficult issue is how far could B teams be promoted?

full article

I think that is a universally terrible idea. Man City B is basically a premier league side and by letting them into the League structure in any way, shape or form you will kill lower league clubs but knocking them further down the pyramid.

This is not the solution to the richest clubs in the country hoarding players with massive squads and stifeling youth development through the lack of competitive football. A better solution would be to extend the total squad to say 30/35 but stipulating that this is the only resource teams can call on all season regardless of injuries.... the only concession being emergency loans in the event the club has 3 injuried GKs.

Agreed, this is only going to allow further dominance by the top teams. So I guess it will be passed through without hesitation.

• Like 2

But these sides will start in the conference!  will be the argument for it. 

Give it five years and they will all be in the Championship. 

Terrible idea.

Blatantly just trying to copy Spain even though our lower divisions are stronger than theirs.

If you want young players to get competitive first-team action then send them on loan.

Edited by TRS-T

I hate the idea and it would basically be a slap in the face to all the lower league clubs that couldn't afford it.

Why would this be better than just having a Premier League reserves comp with matches played as a curtain raiser to actual games or something?

• Like 3

I would be much more in favour of the reserve league coming back.

Terrible idea.

Blatantly just trying to copy Spain even though our lower divisions are stronger than theirs.

If you want young players to get competitive first-team action then send them on loan.

Think of the extra midlands derbies though!

• Like 2

Who in their right mind will support one of these B teams? When (and it is when) the teams all get to the 2nd tier everybody will be watching the team in the top tier or the team they already support (i.e. Walsall) all this means is that eventually the Championship will be full of B teams who no-one supports.

If this gets voted through it's the final straw. Here's hoping that like the 39th game bullshit a few years back it gets poo pooed. Although the big boys with their money and interest in this means it may happen. The death of the lower leagues and the FA Cup may well follow, here's hoping the top 5 or 6 piss off and form their super league before they rot the game right to the core

• Like 1

there are a fair few ways in my mind that it could be done right, subsidised ticket prices, age and nationality of players that are available, limiting how high they can get promoted no entry in the FA cup etc

but in reality i can see it being a man city B team with players that have been bought in specifically for it so that they piss league 2 but these players will never have a sniff at the main team, sponsored for £15m a year to boost the margins and ticket prices that are still £20+

• Like 2

They should just go the whole hog and let Vitesse Arnhem into the Championship.

English football needs another club bankrolled by a Russian Billionaire who will pay any price for a trophy.

Â