Logo design help

JB

Morning all.

I'm starting up a small business and need to get some promotional materials sorted. With this in mind, a logo would be a good place to start. A graphic designer friend offered to do one for me for free but her designs were, shall we say, not the best.

I have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for and have even done a couple of very crude designs of my own that could do with a professional's touch (to say the least).

I was wondering if anyone on here fancied having a go or could recommend someone good who might? Any idea how much I should expect to pay?

Any suggestions/ideas gratefully received!

Cheers.

Haha a Lego logo would be ace! Not sure how appropriate for my line of business though :).

I'm at work on my phone at the moment but will try and upload my designs when I get home this evening (if I can stand the embarrassment!). If it helps in the mean time, it's a personal training/strength and conditioning business.

Cheers for the replies.

Ha as I typed that I thought about the double meaning! Didn't think anyone would actually go there though... ;)

This is VT: it's rather disappointing that it took over two hours. :)

Edited by snowychap

Ok then JB, let's see you design sketches and see if the collective creative expertise of VT can help out.

Pretty basic but here are a few different colour variations. I just chose a font that I quite liked and went with it. I'm open to any ideas from others who know much better than me. I just want to avoid the usual cheesy PT logos.

wKNNQfj.jpg

The name comes from a few of my mates who call me Johnny Bravo because I apparently look a bit like him (minus the skinny legs and slick hair, obviously ;) ) and have the same first name. 

I was hoping to get some sort of crest (with a slogan) done as well that could be used both with and independently of the name as required. As I said, if anyone fancies having a go, I can give you more details or if anyone has a designer they've used and would recommend, let me know, along with details of how much I should expect to pay. 

Cheers again. 

Edited by JB

It looks a bit to 80's for me - bold italics are not that fashionable these days. Italics in 'future' typefaces (or serif "typewriter" style typefaces) because very popular in the 70s. I'd go for a cleaner look, with no outline. Just my two pennies worth! :)

I'm not a designer, but would comment that the "fitness" word seems very poorly displayed, disconnected letters, wholly out of proportion with the main part, hard to read.  I have to look closely at it even to recognise it as a word.

It looks a bit to 80's for me - bold italics are not that fashionable these days. Italics in 'future' typefaces (or serif "typewriter" style typefaces) because very popular in the 70s. I'd go for a cleaner look, with no outline. Just my two pennies worth! :)

I'm not a designer, but would comment that the "fitness" word seems very poorly displayed, disconnected letters, wholly out of proportion with the main part, hard to read.  I have to look closely at it even to recognise it as a word.

Are you talking about JB's or.......

Are you talking about JB's or.......

Yes, JB's. Your word underneath was quite recognisable. Obviously, that's to do with typefaces, and not what readers of the words are predisposed to recognise. Personally, I would be much more likely to recognise a wholesome word like "fitness" than the vile filth you've put there. It's the typeface that confused me.

• Like 1

Ok then JB, let's see you design sketches and see if the collective creative expertise of VT can help out.

Pretty basic but here are a few different colour variations. I just chose a font that I quite liked and went with it. I'm open to any ideas from others who know much better than me. I just want to avoid the usual cheesy PT logos.

wKNNQfj.jpg

The name comes from a few of my mates who call me Johnny Bravo because I apparently look a bit like him (minus the skinny legs and slick hair, obviously ;) ) and have the same first name. 

I was hoping to get some sort of crest (with a slogan) done as well that could be used both with and independently of the name as required. As I said, if anyone fancies having a go, I can give you more details or if anyone has a designer they've used and would recommend, let me know, along with details of how much I should expect to pay. 

Cheers again. 

I quite like this but lose the outline. It's not necessary. 

I'd also choose a slightly bolder font for fitness. 

You need to find a better typeface for "Bravo", the kerning on that one is horrible in bold italics. You need to lose the huge whitespace before the A and after the V; unless you are deliberately emphasising the "AV".

Personally, I'd do the "bravo" without the italics and the "fitness" in lower case, but if it was for me, I'd add "speed lines" to the left rather than having the stylised "B".

Limpid is right. The typeface is ugly, bold italics are ugly, kerning is erratic, hair thin tiny fitness letters are impractical for use and there isn't any element linking to what you do. I'd also advise against messing different with colours before you've got a final design.

My advice would be to design in black on a white background, keep it as clean & simple as possible (no outlines, italics, fades) and look for (and... borrow) appealing design elements from logos in the same sector.

have you tried  " Logomaker" 

it was a a website and I seem to recall it was free and had loads of templates that you could play about with and download

Edit: just had a look , it appears the HTML logo is free but you'd have to pay to download a high res version  ..might still be worth a look though for some ideas 

Edited by tonyh29

Thanks again for all the input and advice - much appreciated.

I must admit, I don't entirely understand some of it as my knowledge of design theory is non-existent! All I did was download some fonts I liked off a graphic design website and then used wordart to put it together!

I agree with pretty much all of what you've said, though. Although I didn't italicise the font - that's just how it is.

I was reluctant to post them in some ways as they're so crap. I was hoping that my graphic designer friend would sort them out and give me some creative input, maybe even design me a new one but she just kept them the same but made them worse if anything!

I guess I find it hard to explain what I'm looking for... Any input from those with more expertise would be greatly appreciated. I really like a lot of the NFL team logos if that helps... Particularly the 49ers and Giants. Something like that would be very cool.

Cheers again.

Â