Do We Ever Score Last Minute Goals?

Butterfingers

Since the MON era, I don't think theres any Premier league team who hasn't scored against us in the last minute.

On the flip side, I can only think of Weimans goal at home to Fulham & Young away at Everton where we've won games at the death.

I thought we'd combatted this but still it continues.

Why can't we see games out? Its not down to the manager because we've had several since 2006

Actually, if you look at the stats, which I can only find in 10 minute chunks, we are 2-4 down in goals scored in the last 10 minutes of matches.

Much better than Fulham who have conceded 14, Cardiff (12), Norwich (9) and West Ham (8).

Our real problem is that we don't score enough and concede too many in the first hour of matches (our record is 13-25 in all matches).

According to the stats site I am looking at, we have NEVER gone in at half time at Villa Park this season with a lead. This sounds so awful I really should check it but the disappointment of finding it was true would be too great.

Edited by briny_ear

I'm pig sick of these last minute kicks in the bollocks. It's the most sickening way to lose a match & over the years we appear to have monopolised it. It wouldn't be so bad either if we could at least have our fair share of last minute winners to balance it up too but it so rarely, rarely happens.

It's just so bloody frustrating & nauseating. :bang: :bang: :bang::puke: :puke:

Have we really monopolised it though? I've always been of the opinion that we're not as cursed or unlucky as people think when it comes to these sorts of things, we just notice it more because we pay far more attention to Villa than any other club.

• Like 1

Our problem is we only play well for 45 minutes of games.

If we don't score in that 45 minutes, like first half against Newcastle or the second half against Cardiff, then we're **** unless we hold on for a 0-0.

Actually, if you look at the stats, which I can only find in 10 minute chunks, we are 2-4 down in goals scored in the last 10 minutes of matches.

Much better than Fulham who have conceded 14, Cardiff (12), Norwich (9) and West Ham (8).

Our real problem is that we don't score enough and concede too many in the first hour of matches (our record is 13-25 in all matches).

According to the stats site I am looking at, we have NEVER gone in at half time at Villa Park this season with a lead. This sounds so awful I really should check it but the disappointment of finding it was true would be too great.

I think West Brom is the only league game where we've scored in front of the North Stand.

How about this for a monopoly/ from MON in 2006 until the end of the Houlier season, all 90th min goals;

Stoke home (2-2) 01.03.09

Liverpool Home (0-1) 29.12.09

WHU away (1-2) 04.11.09

Charlton away (1-2) 30.12.06

Spurs away (4-4)

Arsenal away (1-1) 17.03.08

Stoke away (2-3) 02.08.08

Man U away (2-3) Marcheda goals 05.04.09

Everton away (3-2) Lescott

Chelsea away (4-4)

Stoke away (1-2) 30.09.10

& I'm not saying I've covered them all

A few other happy memories:

Bolton away (2-3) 88th min winner, Houlier season

Fulham away Bullard winner 86mins 03.02.08

WHU away Ashton winner 88mins

Blackburn away Dunne winner 88mins

Liverpool away (2-2 when Harewood scored) Crouch equaliser 88mins

Gerrard winner the same season at VP 87mins

• Like 1

Out of context, e. g without any comparison with other clubs, that information has no meaning.

Also, it's a bit jumbled up isn't it? For example, we scored the final goal in the Chelsea 4-4 game - Gareth Barry from the penalty spot - whereas Stoke on 1/3/09 for example was them getting a last-minute draw.

I suspect that game has had a distorting effect on people's perception of how often we concede late goals.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

Not out of context as I see it.

I don't recall us conceding as regularly pre- MON.

I included the Chelsea game, as well as the Everton game in which we also scored the last goal as further examples of conceding at the death. All other games saw us concede 1 or 2 points.

If you want me to put it into context, how about I compare the list to our own ability to score at the death? Its probably running at 50% of that list & don't forget, I've excluded the McCleish & Lambert seasons which would make the gap even bigger, if included.

I don't know the stats and I'm certainly not going to check it out, but I reckon that the reason why we never score late goals is because we are a poor team! It's also exactly why we get fewer penalties, because we spend less time in the box on the other side of the pitch. It's science! I think Man Utd scored the most goals late on last season (when they won the league) and this year they are poor and they haven't scored many goals in the end.

Poor teams also tire at the end against better teams and invite a bukkake of opportunities to score from 80 minutes onwards...

Â