Fulham appoint Felix Magath as manager

The_Steve

WTF

Fulham Football Club today announced the hiring of Felix Magath as First Team Manager, effective immediately.

The announcement was made jointly by Chairman Shahid Khan and CEO Alistair Mackintosh. Magath receives an 18-month contract. An announcement on the Fulham backroom staff will be made in the near future.

Statement from Shahid Khan

“I am very happy to welcome Felix Magath to Fulham Football Club.  Felix is an accomplished manager with multiple honours in the Bundesliga and a hunger to replicate his success with Fulham in the Barclays Premier League. I’m especially impressed with the reputation Felix has for coming into clubs at difficult times, often late in the season, and lifting them to their potential and beyond. Felix knows that is precisely the task awaiting him at Fulham, and he made it abundantly clear that he wants and is ready for the opportunity.

“Our Club has shown promise in recent matches, but the fact is we have not won a league match since January 1. Given our form, we can no longer merely hope that our fortunes will finally turn. And with 12 matches remaining and at least four points separating us from safety, we certainly can no longer post empty results. Action was required.

“Alistair Mackintosh did a wonderful job during the January transfer window to improve our Club. This week, Alistair recommended Felix, with his history of producing results for Clubs with similar challenges as ours, as the new manager of Fulham. Alistair’s recommendation received my complete approval and Felix has my unequivocal support.”

Statement from Alistair Mackintosh

“The opportunity to bring in a manager with the experience of Felix Magath would typically be unlikely at this point in the season. However, Felix relishes this challenge. He is very impressed with our squad and commitment by Mr. Khan, and his confidence is precisely what we need over these final three months of the season. I thank Mr. Khan for his support and we are all looking forward to welcoming Felix to Fulham.”

link

Edited by The_Steve

From the BBC

Fulham have named former Bayern Munich coach Felix Magath as manager after sacking Rene Meulensteen.

A club statement  made no mention of Meulensteen, who replaced Martin Jol in December and won three league games.

"They have hit the panic button on emotion and fear - but hey ho, that's football," Meulensteen told BBC Sport.

Fulham chairman Shahid Khan said: "With 12 matches remaining, we certainly can no longer post empty results. Action was required."

Magath, 60, has signed an 18-month contract.

Edited by The_Steve

Magath is universally hated by most Bundesliga clubs. From 2012, when Wolfsburg manager, a club he almost relegated.

His current squad probably share that view. Ten days ago, Magath had them running through the Wolfsburg woods (again) and when they had finished, they found that most of their water bottles had been emptied on purpose by the coach. Magath tried to justify this exercise in sadism as an "educational measure" afterwards – "I wanted them to learn to share resources as a team," he claimed – but the episode is symptomatic of a course that has seen him veer dangerously close to caricature of himself. "The last dictator in Europe," as Jan Age Fjortoft once called him, should slowly realise that random acts of unkindness are no substitute for a coherent strategy on and off the pitch.

After spending the best part of €70m on new players in 18 months, Magath has simply lost the plot. Players keep popping up in unlikely, unsuited positions, then get banished from the squad only to re-appear in other, even more unfamiliar roles some weeks later. The manager's take on Diego's lack of impact was revealing in that respect. "We thought we'd sell him so we didn't put the team together according to his needs," claimed Magath. It all begs one question: according to whose needs exactly has this side been put together?

I am baffled, poor sod, lasted a few days longer than he did at Anzhi at least.

Magath will go the way of Di Canio, keep them up and then get sacked for being a tosser in the Summer. 18 month contracts to managers continues to be a trend, seems to be happening more and more now.

Wonder what will happen with Curbishley.

Edited by samjp26

If it works out, then everyone will say it's a good deal for Fulham. However, sacking two managers in a few months is plain strange. I feel bad for Meulensteen, he is a really decent guy and his English is very welcome in this world of annoying accents. Wenger has been here for what, 20 years - and it sounds like he's been here for two months. Pathetic. Buy hey, I guess excellent spoken language doesn't appear on top of the list of attributes :) He should go back to being an assistant manager, he was quite good at that. Hope Fulham go down, hate it when idiots like Khan take over clubs just to have a plaything. 

He is the guy who would fine players 1000 euros if they back passed the ball when he believes a forward pass could be made, I think somebody on here said that Lambert should implement that strategy or something along those lines. 100 euros for every minute a player is late to anything too, he'd have a field day with Matty Lowton!

Wonder what will happen with Curbishley.

They guy that was sacked in 2008 and never got appointed again? My guess is that nothing will happen to him, except for sitting in the studio and commenting on stuff everyone knows already.

They appointed him as technical director when Rene became manager if you remember, Ray Wilkins as a coach too. I guess they'll both lose their jobs.

Â