In An Alternate (Villa) Universe

P3te

True, however, had we got that top 4.... the extra income from CL is pretty huge so would probably cover that.

Don't know how Tottenham haven't got the same issue as us as they seem to have spent ridiculous sums over the past few seasons and also failed in their attempts so far to get CL.

Unfortunately Spurs spent their money wiser than we did. Also had a better manager too (and I hate Redknobb).

Phil Dowd sends off Nemanja Vidic.

Villa seal a comfortable 2-0 victory over 10 man, Manchester United, to win their first trophy in 15 years. 

This thread is making me sad. 

Edited by KjParton

Villa sign Denis Bergkamp and have our pick of the best young players across Europe who want to come and play in a side with him in it, trophies galore follow and Villa are seen as an example to all as to how the beautiful game should be played.

The official in charge of Sheff Wed v Man U decides to play an accurate amount of time and Man Utd lose 1-0

And just 3 years before that, on February 24th, Platt steps up to take a penalty against wimbledon. Can't Remember if the result at that point was 0-0 or 0-1, but he scores the penalty and Villa, with wind under their wings, goes on and win the game and stay clear of liverpool at the top of the table. A couple of months later we seal our first league title in 9 years, and the 8th in total. So close.

• Like 1

UEFA change their Champions League qualification rules at the end of the 1994/95 season meaning that a 4th place finish in the 1995/96 season gives the plucky club finishing in that position a chance of Champions League football.

If we had shown more ambition after our League Cup win in 1996, things could have been rosier ever since, and maybe no need for MON after all...

<this seems to be a running theme with AVFC - the failure, or debatable inability of the club to build on a little slice of success without regressing>

Edited by Raver50032

Yep think it has to be signing a goal scorer (probably bent) instead of Heskey. Think that would have got us top four and who knows what would've happened then

In a different timescale, but I seem to remember us being interested in signing Ruud Van Nistelrooy from PSV but settled on JPA instead.

Didn't we also bid for Falcao under MON in 2008 or something?

Just imagine...

After finishing 2nd in the first year of the Premier League, Doug Ellis realises how money is about to totally change football and heavily invests over the next few seasons, buying some of the top players in Europe and winning Premier League titles in 1994/95 and 95/96. Aston Villa enter the race for 24 year old Bordeaux superstar Zinedine Zidane, and Doug Ellis nabs him with a very significant financial offer.

Aston Villa dominate the next decade of European soccer, adding two further European Cups to their trophy cabinet and becoming one of the biggest sporting brands in the world. Aston Villa shirt sales dwarfing every other club worldwide.

• Like 1

As per Big Rons Book:

The day we signed John Fashanu, in turn cancelling a deal for the young striker sitting in the chairmans office ready to sign his deal.  Said striker goes on to be sold for a Blockbusting fee.  Said player.  German Legend Oliver Bierhoff.  Villa return to win the title in 95.

• Like 2

Yep think it has to be signing a goal scorer (probably bent) instead of Heskey. Think that would have got us top four and who knows what would've happened then

In a different timescale, but I seem to remember us being interested in signing Ruud Van Nistelrooy from PSV but settled on JPA instead.

Just imagine...

Yes, if I remember Luc Nilis had set that up............ but his leg break kyboshed it

No. We were linked with him in the newspapers and O'Neill rejected the claims, telling the press "I think we could find a player a bit nearer than that!". Honestly.

A few months later we signed Ivanhoe Heskey.

Villa sign Denis Bergkamp and have our pick of the best young players across Europe who want to come and play in a side with him in it, trophies galore follow and Villa are seen as an example to all as to how the beautiful game should be played.

Has there ever been a rumor that Bergakamp was coming to the Villa?

No. We were linked with him in the newspapers and O'Neill rejected the claims, telling the press "I think we could find a player a bit nearer than that!". Honestly.

A few months later we signed Ivanhoe Heskey.

its actually funny in a perverse sort of way

Â