Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

McLeish didn't do a good job of cutting the wagebill though as a lot of the high-earning players we're currently trying to get rid of are players he signed.

On the flip-side, you can argue those players probably wouldn't be deadwood now had he stayed. Ultimately he cut the wage-bill as he was asked to. So he acheived his remit. That was merely the point.

going OT with old ginger bollocks

the only player you can say he sold in a conscious effort to reduce wages in luke young and maybe habib beye but we dont know how much of his wages doncaster covered, you cant claim he sold young and downing because of the wage bill 1) because its not true, they left for brighter lights 2) he's an idiot but he's not that much of an idiot

and he replaced luke young with alan hutton who is on more

by hook or by crook or even pure luck he may have ended up with a lower wage bill but i don't believe for a minute he did it on purpose

McLeish didn't do a good job of cutting the wagebill though as a lot of the high-earning players we're currently trying to get rid of are players he signed.

On the flip-side, you can argue those players probably wouldn't be deadwood now had he stayed. Ultimately he cut the wage-bill as he was asked to. So he acheived his remit. That was merely the point.

They were never value for money though. If it had been applied across the whole squad we'd have had a bottom 5 team on top 7 wages.

• Like 2

Cutting a squad's wage bill and signing players on high wages are not mutually exclusive. Just saying.

We forget though that he was probably allowed to offer such wages because he spent his £20m on a few players. Whereas Lambert spent his original £20m on seven players. The less players you buy, the higher wages you can offer.

They were never value for money though. If it had been applied across the whole squad we'd have had a bottom 5 team on top 7 wages.

It wasn't applied across the whole squad though.

Never said it was. I was pointing out that while he did cut the wage bill, he didn't do a very good job of it.

Cutting a squad's wage bill and signing players on high wages are not mutually exclusive. Just saying.

We forget though that he was probably allowed to offer such wages because he spent his £20m on a few players. Whereas Lambert spent his original £20m on seven players. The less players you buy, the higher wages you can offer.

Yes and also if you take over a bloated squad, you can ship out several players, bring in a few (some of whom may be on high wages) and achieve the same net result.

According to soccerbase, in McLeish's season he signed 4 players. Given, N'Zogbia, Hutton & Stevens. Three of them would have been on high wages, but 2 of those were clear replacements for outgoing players. Friedel's departure panicked us into giving Given a contract we probably regretted. But circumstances kind of had us over a barrel. Top class available goalkeepers are thin on the ground and Brad was not going to be easy to replace. Given looked like a good fit but we overpaid undoubtedly. N'Zogbia was the overwhelming fan favourite to replace Downing and even then he made us a net £10m profit in the process. Hutton replaced Luke Young and was probably on a similar wage to the outgoing player. So apart from maybe Given over Friedel, those 4 wages kept us on a par and THEN you take into account that we got rid of John Carew (cha-ching!), Isaiah Osbourne, Jonathan Hogg, Shane Lowry & Harry Forrester. It's safe to say that McLeish started to lower the wage bill while at the same time hiring some high waged players.

But all of that pales into insignificance alongside what Lambert has been told to do and has done. All while being 11th. In fact the more we talk about what Lambert has worked under, the more ridiculous it is to suggest getting rid.

• Like 2

Never said it was. I was pointing out that while he did cut the wage bill, he didn't do a very good job of it.

He did what was asked of him by Lerner and Co though. I'd agree it was stupid spending time shipping out MON signings while also bringing in similar. Ultimately though, the board sanctioned and approved all of his business. Just another example of the idiocy that rules this club.

I'm not expecting higher than 10th so 11th is in line with this. However, at this moment in time I could quite easily see us dropping down the league, similar to McLeish's season. Yes the circumstances are very different, but the team are so short of form and confidence that I really struggle to see who we are going to get many points off. The football is dire to watch, we can't create chances and without vlaar we struggle to keep clean sheets. Now I'm not saying sack the manager but something needs to change. Be it a new signing or having a youth player being given a chance, anything to give the team a lift

Well it is January and we've been told to expect 2 possibly 3 players. So I think we should wait until February to see if anything has changed.
I concur

going OT with old ginger bollocks

the only player you can say he sold in a conscious effort to reduce wages in luke young and maybe habib beye but we dont know how much of his wages doncaster covered, you cant claim he sold young and downing because of the wage bill 1) because its not true, they left for brighter lights 2) he's an idiot but he's not that much of an idiot

Surely he was told he HAD to sell them, because he certainly didn't get the 38m we banked from their sales to replace them

Give the bloke some credit, he got shafted by Randy there pure and simple

Just had a run in with an Arsenal fan... walked my partner to work, Arsenal fan starts asking if I am there to buy "Blades" and then says "I hope you go down now, no manager should say the FA Cup is shit."

I said: "He didn't say that..."

He said: "Yes he did, I hope you go down now.."

Me: "Did you read the comments, or see what he actually said"

Him: "Yes, he said the FA Cup is not worth trying for."

Me: "No he didn't"

Him: "Well I hope you go down because of what he said..."

I then pointed out the amount of times his team has played reserves in cup games and he said: "That is ok, that is not saying what your manager said."

Dear god... can we please beat them so I can throw something in that numb skulls face?

• Like 1

He did what was asked of him by Lerner and Co though. I'd agree it was stupid spending time shipping out MON signings while also bringing in similar. Ultimately though, the board sanctioned and approved all of his business. Just another example of the idiocy that rules this club.

Who did he actually ship out? The only one I can think of is Luke Young. The rest he kept and utilised in his squad. Most of the cutting of the squad has been done by Lambert and Houllier. Young and Downing were never going to actually stay unless we are counting that as his squad cutting.

McLeish did wage bill slashing? I've really heard it all now.

The wage-bill was lower upon his departure as opposed to when he arrived. What else would you describe it as?

Lower due to Heskey, Cuellar, Guzan contracts expiring. We still had massive high earners on the book i.e. Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Bent, Ireland. As well as adding Hutton, N'Zogbia and Given.

Just had a run in with an Arsenal fan... walked my partner to work, Arsenal fan starts asking if I am there to buy "Blades" and then says "I hope you go down now, no manager should say the FA Cup is shit."

I then pointed out the amount of times his team has played reserves in cup games and he said: "That is ok, that is not saying what your manager said."

Dear god... can we please beat them so I can throw something in that numb skulls face?

Some people just cannot be reasoned with... Who gives a flying fook what that Gooner thinks... He was probably on Wenger's back after we stuffed them on opening day. You may find Youtube smattered with Gooners besmirching Wenger after that result - now look where they are...

You told him that what he said, was not what Lambert said, and if he still argued with you and still hopes we go down, let him have that belief. He ain't worth the effort dude.

And if all else fails,

"Have you won the European Cup?" :wub:

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the accounts showed a cutting of the wage-bill during his tenure?

I have answered this, the wagebill was cut due to selling Young and Downing who lets face it wanted to go. Then on top of that we had the contracts of Heskey and Cuellar had expired, but we still had a shit load of players who were average who were earning 50k plus.

Who did he actually ship out? The only one I can think of is Luke Young. The rest he kept and utilised in his squad. Most of the cutting of the squad has been done by Lambert and Houllier. Young and Downing were never going to actually stay unless we are counting that as his squad cutting.

I guess when it is put like that, you are right. I was just focusing on the numbers really but I suppose they take into account contracts that expired upon his arrival.

Some people just cannot be reasoned with... Who gives a flying fook what that Gooner thinks... He was probably on Wenger's back after we stuffed them on opening day. You may find Youtube smattered with Gooners besmirching Wenger after that result - now look where they are...

You told him that what he said, was not what Lambert said, and if he still argued with you and still hopes we go down, let him have that belief. He ain't worth the effort dude.

And if all else fails,

"Have you won the European Cup?" :wub:

Just go straight for the throat.

"Well I hope you go down because you think the Champions League isn't worth trying for".

"Yes we do"

"Well why haven't you won it yet then taz.gif"

Use their idiot-logic on them. There's no point in pointing out we actually used a strong lineup against Sheff Utd and actually it'd give him another stick to beat you with cuz it'd prove we're shite at home.

• Like 2

you can say or mean whatever you like in this world....its what someone else thinks you've said that matters.

according to him/her.

tongue firmly in cheek