Reflection - past three years

Dodgyknees

I was just talking about the last game I remember - and the last time I had fun at a game - so much so, I remembered the date, scorers and the match information.

I looked up the report and it said this at the bottom about the potential departure of Milner:

"There was plenty here to suggest that if the midfielder does leave, Villa have the talent to thrive without him."

I'm not sure what the point is I am making... I'm just wondering where it all went wrong for this talented bunch to become such a pathetic group of players in such a little time?

Quite sad, isn't it?

The match in question - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8906162.stm

Edited by dodgyknees

I still can't believe that we went from beating West Ham 3-0 to losing to Newcastle 6-0 the following week. I remember thinking after that West Ham game that we would be able to push on after O Neill and get a decent manager to win us a cup and have another crack at the top 4. We appointed Houllier and went from being top 6 to relegation fodder for most of the season. The rest is history.

• Like 1

I think a lot of the players just weren't as good as we all thought they were. Milner was the glue that held everything together as well and losing him probably didn't help either. Also, West Ham were absolutely dreadful that season.

• Like 2

I think a lot of the players were as good as we thought. they just haven't kicked on since leaving us like they all thought they would. Young, Downing and Milner, along with Mellberg, Laursen, Petrov, Friedel and Barry were all top premier league players. even players like Bouma and Carew. we had some great players not long ago. I got out FIFA 10 a few weeks back and I was shocked at our squad.

I think a lot of the players were as good as we thought. they just haven't kicked on since leaving us like they all thought they would. Young, Downing and Milner, along with Mellberg, Laursen, Petrov, Friedel and Barry were all top premier league players. even players like Bouma and Carew. we had some great players not long ago. I got out FIFA 10 a few weeks back and I was shocked at our squad.

Mellberg, Bouma, Milner and Laursen weren't with us for the 2010/11 season though (except for one game in Milner's case). Petrov was also injured for a fair chunk of that season (our performances and results improved when he came back into the side).

I was mainly referring to the quality of the squad overall, especially the defence.

Mellberg, Bouma, Milner and Laursen weren't with us for the 2010/11 season though (except for one game in Milner's case). Petrov was also injured for a fair chunk of that season (our performances and results improved when he came back into the side).

I was mainly referring to the quality of the squad overall, especially the defence.

I wasn't referring to the 2010/11 season, fifa 10 covers the 09/10 season. and the players I named were just a few of the players I liked that I was naming and saying we had them not so long ago, I wasn't being specific about when we had them.

basically the last sentence of my post doesn't refer to the rest of the post, it is separate

The last time I felt like Villa were on the ascendancy with a head of steam, playing well and winning in style was when Ashley Young scored that late winner at Goodison Park. Him and Laursen running to the Villa bench, MON praising Young as "brilliant"...

It was looking good there for a minute  :mellow:

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

I think a lot of the players just weren't as good as we all thought they were. Milner was the glue that held everything together as well and losing him probably didn't help either. Also, West Ham were absolutely dreadful that season.

I love the milner excuse.

The last time I felt like Villa were on the ascendancy with a head of steam, playing well and winning in style was when Ashley Young scored that late winner at Goodison Park. Him and Laursen running to the Villa bench, MON praising Young as "brilliant"...

It was looking good there for a minute  :mellow:

We were pretty tasty the following season too.  Didn't we go 3rd with that win at Old Trafford?

I love the milner excuse.

FFS it isn't an excuse. Losing him certainly didn't help though, unless you think he wasn't that important to the team?

Â