Reflection - past three years

Dodgyknees

It was a brilliant performance and it did look grat. I remember thinking Clark looked fantastic barking out orders to more experienced ayers, whilst looking calm on the ball. Kmac looked like he knew why he was doing and that h woul bring his youth team players into the fold. Was really excited about how we would progress.. Then Newcastle struck and its been pretty much doom and gloom since

It was my final game before leaving the UK for a couple of years.  The following week I arrived at Dubai airport for a changeover to see we'd lost 6-0 to Newcastle :(  I saw Carew's penalty miss on the internet at Brum airport.

The last three years have been dire.  The O'Neill disaster, the mess up over Houllier's appointment, the same miserable old git running us down all season, The Manager Who Shall Not Be Named, selling all our best players, getting humiliated last Christmas period, and now the turgid dull football of Lambert.  A right load of old tat.

• Like 2

The last three years have been dire.  The O'Neill disaster, the mess up over Houllier's appointment, the same miserable old git running us down all season, The Manager Who Shall Not Be Named, selling all our best players, getting humiliated last Christmas period, and now the turgid dull football of Lambert.  A right load of old tat.

But we did get to see Barry Bannan grace our pitch.

• Like 1

Just goes to show that the opening day means shit. When we lost to Wigan the year before everyone went into meltdown, yet we had our best season for about 14 years after that. Looking at that  team sheet, it is a totally different side now and its only 3 years ago! I read that last sentence and nearly lol'd. Milner leving ripped the heart out of that side, it destroyed us.

To put the game in perspective, West Ham had a terrible start to the season. They looked disorganised and slow in their first few matches. They lost 3-1 at home to Bolton in their next game and didn't pick up a league point until the middle of September. I think we probably deceived ourselves about how good we were in the match.

Having said that, I still scratch my head about what went wrong with Albrighton, who looked so good in the first half of that season.

I seem to remember Andi getting his debut in that game as well (think he got injured soon after though).

Yeah, it was the Vienna game shortly after when he got crocked, wasn't it?  Where the home support decided to hurl drinks at him whilst he was being stretchered off.

I don't think I DO get your point. Of course Milner, Young and Downing leaving tore things apart and especially Milner leaving; he was our engine. If you mean how they themselves became 'pathetic', you don't have to look much further than jumping ship too quickly for there own good and ending up outcast and out of their depth.

And I'm not sure the youngsters listed here HAVE turned into a "pathetic group of players"? Guzan is now a world class number 1, Clark has been outstanding this season, Weimann was ACE last season albeit he is out of FORM at the moment, Lichaj was always a load of crap as was Bannan (although people are obviously split on whether Bannan could have been a talent. I never saw it personally).

Albrighton is the only one I can really say I'm disappointed in and I'm not sure that is totally his fault now he has been somewhat outcast (and it's worth mentioning he was very impressive last time he played for us).

As for the remainders, Friedel got a move to Spuds and kept Lloris out of the team, Dunne got injured and is on his way out but he WAS quality, Petrov unfortunately fell ill, Carew just did what Carew does and stopped giving his all, and the less said about the rest the better.

I think everyone in that list is basically where we could have expected them to be except Albrighton and also Young (who has "gone down quicker than Tulisa")

Or have I missed your point and you mean Villa's general fall from grace? If that's the case, you don't have to look much further than the pull out of all investment, the wasting of our final balance by McLeish and the snail like recovery under Lambert who is trying to manage on a pittance.

So your answer is basically, as ever, Lerner and O'Neill.

It was my final game before leaving the UK for a couple of years.  The following week I arrived at Dubai airport for a changeover to see we'd lost 6-0 to Newcastle :(  I saw Carew's penalty miss on the internet at Brum airport.

Dubai is probably where the penalty landed 

• Like 3

At least things are finally improving now. I'd say we were in near permanent decline from early 2010 to early 2013 (bar a good couple of months at the back end of 10/11 season). To be honest I think it's a minor miracle that we managed to survive that amount of turbulence and upheaval for such a long period of time without going down.

• Like 2

Â