The Quiz Thread

mjmooney

edit!

No, not Amsterdam........Yes, Little Venice.

Had breakfast on a very nice little boat, I think they thought I wanted to buy the boat when the bill came.

Edited by chrisp65

About 3 minutes walk from Paddington. There's actually what I think might be the only canal roundabout behind me where I took that shot.

I noticed the barge rides up to the Zoo included zoo entry and appeared to be cheaper than just turning up at the zoo! We might do that next time, but from memory London Zoo is a bit poor when compared with the likes of Paignton.

About 3 minutes walk from Paddington. There's actually what I think might be the only canal roundabout behind me where I took that shot.

I noticed the barge rides up to the Zoo included zoo entry and appeared to be cheaper than just turning up at the zoo! We might do that next time, but from memory London Zoo is a bit poor when compared with the likes of Paignton.

It's had a bit of a makeover ... Tigers have a new large enclosure with lookout points and the penguins have a new home and you can walk through the monkey enclosure now .... I've not been to Paignton though so can't compare the 2

Paignton is big enough for many of the shy larger animals to wander off where they can't be seen if they are having a bad hair day. That salves my concscience a little.

They also have a superb restaurant, sell bags of lion shit and kids can crawl down a pipe and pop up in the middle of the meerkat enclosure.

aye, well played

veh nice bit of the world, but I have to confess the sea there is usually brown, must have been a trick o' the light 

(the two islands visible through the pier are Flat Holm and Steep Holm)

Edited by chrisp65

Eggheads wiped out tonight in their worst ever defeat - the challengers (a team of cartoonists) won every round and then the final (which went to several rounds of sudden death before Kevin faltered). 

Impressive. 

1.       In the human body, what is a diastoma?

2.       Carditis is inflammation of what?

3.       The Campbell-Stokes Recorder (invented in 1853) measures what? Hours of sunshine, air temperature, wind speed or customer complaints?

4.       Where is the twelfth and last of the “Eleanor Crosses” (erected by Edward I between 1291 and 1294 in memory of his wife Eleanor of Castile)?

5.       Jibbons and scallions are alternative names for which vegetable?

6.       Who became Baron of Kingston-upon-Hull on his elevation to the House of Lords in 2010?

7.       In which countries was Che Guevara (a) born and ( b ) killed?

8.       Name Charles Dickens’ first novel

9.       In 1901 Sir Edmund Barton became the first prime minister of which country?

10.   Milou is the original name of which cartoon dog?

11.   Which UK racecourse is at Prestbury Park?

12.   Ibiza is part of which island group?

13.   In the US and UK military, what does DSC stand for?

14.   The name of which Italian dish means “hollow bone”? Tagliatelle, ossobuco, gnocchi or tiramisu?

15.   Sark is part of which island group?

16.   What is the capital of Haiti?

17.   In which country are lakes Van, Tuz, Uluabat and Beysehir?

18.   In the film “The Truman Show”, what is Truman’s surname?

19.   With what phobia is rabies popularly associated?

20.   In the Bible, who was the sister of Mary and Lazarus?

21.   Inferno, Purgatorio and Paradiso are the three parts of which work by Dante Aligheri?

22.   Which race was originally known as the Royal Yacht Squadron Cup?

23.   What is defined as “a whitish liquid containing proteins, fats, lactose, and various vitamins and minerals”

24.   In which city was the original Copacabana nightclub?

25.   Which comedian had a hit record in the 1960s with “Tears”?

26.   Who had a hit with “My Boy Lollipop” in 1964?

27.   What was Sonny’s surname (as in Sonny and Cher)?

28.   Which US comedian had a hit in the 1950s with a parody version of “The Banana Boat Song”?

29.   Which 1960s crooner  was famed for his pullovers and rocking chair?

30.   What number gives its name to the so-called “club” of dead rock musicians?

31.   In what city was poet John Milton born?

32.   In 1783, which London prison became the main venue for executions ?

33.   In what year was Coronation Street first broadcast?

34.   What was the name of the 1973 agreement on power sharing in Northern Ireland?

35.   Who was Prime Minister of the Irish Republic at the time of the above?

36.   In 1987 a England cricket tour of Pakistan was delayed due to a heated argument between the England captain and an umpire. Name them both.

37.   Who became President of Poland in 1990?

38.   In 1997, in which country did Richard Branson’s balloon crash, ending his round-the-world attempt?

39.   In 2010 Prince Charles and Camilla’s car was attacked during a protest over what?

40.   In what year was the TV programme The Sky at Night first broadcast?

We got 32/40 - failed on questions 4, 9, 18, 24, 31, 36, 38 and 39. 

Edited by mjmooney

1.       In the human body, what is a diastoma? Heart valve?

2.       Carditis is inflammation of what? Heart?

3.       The Campbell-Stokes Recorder (invented in 1853) measures what? Hours of sunshine, air temperature, wind speed or customer complaints? Hours of sunshine?

4.       Where is the twelfth and last of the “Eleanor Crosses” (erected by Edward I between 1291 and 1294 in memory of his wife Eleanor of Castile)? Gascony?

5.       Jibbons and scallions are alternative names for which vegetable? Potatoes?

6.       Who became Baron of Kingston-upon-Hull on his elevation to the House of Lords in 2010? Prescott?

7.       In which countries was Che Guevara (a) born and ( b ) killed? Argentina; Bolivia

8.       Name Charles Dickens’ first novel Great Expectations?

9.       In 1901 Sir Edmund Barton became the first prime minister of which country? New Zealand?

10.   Milou is the original name of which cartoon dog? Tintin's Snowy

11.   Which UK racecourse is at Prestbury Park? Cheltenham??

12.   Ibiza is part of which island group? Balearics

13.   In the US and UK military, what does DSC stand for? Distinguished Service Cross

14.   The name of which Italian dish means “hollow bone”? Tagliatelle, ossobuco, gnocchi or tiramisu? ossobuco

15.   Sark is part of which island group? Channel Islands

16.   What is the capital of Haiti? Port au Prince

17.   In which country are lakes Van, Tuz, Uluabat and Beysehir? Turkey

18.   In the film “The Truman Show”, what is Truman’s surname? Capote

19.   With what phobia is rabies popularly associated? Aqua

20.   In the Bible, who was the sister of Mary and Lazarus? Tulisa?

21.   Inferno, Purgatorio and Paradiso are the three parts of which work by Dante Aligheri? Damn. Can't remember.

22.   Which race was originally known as the Royal Yacht Squadron Cup? Fastnet?

23.   What is defined as “a whitish liquid containing proteins, fats, lactose, and various vitamins and minerals” Milk

24.   In which city was the original Copacabana nightclub? New York

25.   Which comedian had a hit record in the 1960s with “Tears”? Dudley Moore?

26.   Who had a hit with “My Boy Lollipop” in 1964? Lulu

27.   What was Sonny’s surname (as in Sonny and Cher)? Bono

28.   Which US comedian had a hit in the 1950s with a parody version of “The Banana Boat Song”? Woody Allen?

29.   Which 1960s crooner  was famed for his pullovers and rocking chair? Gene Kelly?

30.   What number gives its name to the so-called “club” of dead rock musicians? 26

31.   In what city was poet John Milton born? Sheffield?

32.   In 1783, which London prison became the main venue for executions ? Wandsworth?

33.   In what year was Coronation Street first broadcast? 1955?

34.   What was the name of the 1973 agreement on pwer sharing in Northern Ireland? Gleneagles?

35.   Who was Prime Minister of the Irish Republic at the time of the above? De Valera?

36.   In 1987 a England cricket tour of Pakistan was delayed due to a heated argument between the England captain and an umpire. Name them both. Boycott? Dickie Bird?

37.   Who became President of Poland in 1990? Lech Walensa

38.   In 1997, in which country did Richard Branson’s balloon crash, ending his round-the-world attempt? US?

39.   In 2010 Prince Charles and Camilla’s car was attacked during a protest over what? Fox hunting?

40.   In what year was the TV programme The Sky at Night first broadcast? 1965?

• Like 1

Â