Memorable Night at Villa Park (1978)

smetrov

I didn't think there was any footage of this game. The footage below doesn't do it justice - remember 3 years earlier we were in Div 2 . The story of the night was that against the might of Barcelona were 0-2 down with barley 8 minutes remaining. The Great Yohan Cryuf left the pitch thinking the job was done. In the remaining 8 minutes we scored 2 goals to bring it back to 2-2 - I was a young teenager standing on the Holte with my Dad - I didn't see either goal - not because I left early - with all the pushing and surges - you missed quite a lot in those days. Any case the deafening roar from the holte confirmed the ball was in the net.....a truly memorable night....ranks very highly in my all time great villa matches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xtOxjKVH10

• Like 4

Good find mate. Hopefully we will get great nights like that back at some stage.

Even if we do - it won't be the same - the atmosphere, the terraces, a time when great players were distributed evenly around the clubs, and whilst money was important - it doesn't dominate like it does today. Still a stunning night at villa park - chuffed to bits I found this - just wish it had full english comms...

• Like 2

I remember this game vividly. Especially the goal by Cruyff & our fantastic late fight back from 2 goals down culminating in John Deehan's equaliser.

Sadly we then lost the return leg at the Nou Camp a fortnight later after a brave performance with 10 men. John Gidman was sent off in the 23rd minute, then Brian Little the most skilful Villa player ever put us 1-0 ahead  just after half time but we eventually caved in under the mounting pressure & ended up losing 2-1 on the night & going out 3-4 on aggregate.

Great nights especially standing on the Holte End.

Hopefully it won't be too long before we have further dramatic European nights back at Villa Park soon.

Good find too Smetrov - Take a bow son, take a bow! :)

A lad from the same school as me marked Cryuff that night David Evans. We were outclassed that night. Alun Evans made the difference. Cruyff was just fantastic. Although the best side we have faced in Europe at Villa Park was the Juventus side in 1982. After Italy had won the world cup they had 9 of the world cup winning side including Rossi plus Platini who was one of the best players in the world at that time and Bonhoff. Even though we won the European cup the previous year we were out of our depth that night.

A lad from the same school as me marked Cryuff that night David Evans. We were outclassed that night. Alun Evans made the difference. Cruyff was just fantastic. Although the best side we have faced in Europe at Villa Park was the Juventus side in 1982. After Italy had won the world cup they had 9 of the world cup winning side including Rossi plus Platini who was one of the best players in the world at that time and Bonhoff. Even though we won the European cup the previous year we were out of our depth that night.

The main reason we lost at home to Juventus was because Allan Evans had been sent off against Barcelona in the European Super Cup & thus & unfairly he was suspended for this home leg at Villa Park. Had this not happened I'm sure McNaught & Evans could have taken care of everything Rossi & Platini threw at us that night & the result may well have been different. We all know how good Des Bremner was in midfield but sadly he was unable to competently adapt to temporarily playing alongside Big Ken in Central Defence that night because at that time most squads were pretty small & we had no other option to consider unfortunately.

Are you sure David & Alun Evans played that night ? - I thought Alun Evans had long gone - & the CB'S were *Alan* Evans + Ken Mcnaught.

Agree about Juventus 1982 - was at that game too.....without my Dad - It seemed every Juventus player - could dribble, drop a shoulder. beat two players - The best team I have seen in 40 odd years of attending Villa Park.  

I was there that night too....I also remember Cruyff running the show despite having one ankle heavily bandaged - or so I thought - perhaps not, but he deffo limped off when subbed.

Edited by mottaloo

Are you sure David & Alun Evans played that night ? - I thought Alun Evans had long gone - & the CB'S were *Alan* Evans + Ken Mcnaught.

Agree about Juventus 1982 - was at that game too.....without my Dad - It seemed every Juventus player - could dribble, drop a shoulder. beat two players - The best team I have seen in 40 odd years of attending Villa Park.  

Spot on.

David Evans started at full back, I think, in one of only three first team appearances for the club, but was replaced on 63 minutes by Allan Evans, who was at the start of his illustrious career with Villa.

Two people named Evans did play but the second was Allan Evans

$T2eC16h,!ykE9s7tye9FBQ+n4cIO7g~~60_35.J

not Alun Evans

mHJC9pe8joiMDltb6BXEUvQ.jpg

who had indeed left us for Walsall in 1975.

:) 

Edited by briny_ear

Many thanks for digging this one out smetrov.

I like Cruyff thought it was all over at 0-2 but Ken (what a header!)& Dixie had other ideas and we did got our own back in the 1983 Super Cup.

Juventus in 83 were very near a "dream team" (although so were we Villa wise when you look back at it now) they had the likes of Zoff, Gentile (anything but gentle), Cabrini, Tardelli, Platini, Bettega, Rossi and Boniek (rather than Bonhof I think smetrov)and this was the first time since 1976 that an English team had not won the EC (as Liverpool went out in the QFs as well). But unlike us the year before Juventus did not go on to win it and we did get revenge of sorts when we beat them in the Peace Cup Final....

Edited by John

Â