World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

On 10/11/2022 at 05:01, Wurzel said:

How the likes of Beckham, Neville and Lineker can live with themselves working for this competition is beyond me. I hope the money is worth it.

They will say, with some justification that they are doing exactly the same thing as the newspaper reporters, news reporters, caterers, players, referees, physiotherapists, cameramen… they will be doing their normal jobs, reporting on football or relaying opinion or analysis. I exclude Beckham from this. They didn’t decide to hold it there, they have been prominent in criticism and exposure of the wrongs. Sure they are wealthy enough to decline the work, but it would make no difference at all. The problem is with FIFA and the corrupt, rotten process.  Once the decision was made and the thing got in motion, nothing in terms of Neville or Lineker’s actions makes a a difference. Nice if they donated fees to families of the dead workers and keep up their highlighting of the injustice throughout, mind.

• Like 3

On the flip side, I was in Qatar today, and boy are they going heavy on the sportswashing.  Everything that’s wrong about football in clear focus, IMO. Figo, Lewadowski, Beckham, Gullit and more all in on promoting some kind of elite, planet football bollex.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

On the flip side, I was in Qatar today, and boy are they going heavy on the sportswashing.  Everything that’s wrong about football in clear focus, IMO. Figo, Lewadowski, Beckham, Gullit and more all in on promoting some kind of elite, planet football bollex.

People will give them a bit of grief from now until Christmas, then in the new year it’ll all be forgotten (and they’ll be looking at which yacht to buy with their dirty money)

I'm hoping that Denmark or one of the Northern European teams will have T-shirts on or something completely contradicting FIFA. Infatino''s comments today just show that he's a man completely lacking moral. 'Please stop shooting at each other for the weeks where WC is being held so we can make more money and have all the focus'. This from a man which has received several medals from his good mate Putin.

¤#"%#"¤ FIFA, "#¤%% money-organised football, I'm about to completely go off the whole sport. I might support a German club where I know half the club is owned by the fans.

57 minutes ago, blandy said:

They will say, with some justification that they are doing exactly the same thing as the newspaper reporters, news reporters, caterers, players, referees, physiotherapists, cameramen… they will be doing their normal jobs, reporting on football or relaying opinion or analysis. I exclude Beckham from this. They didn’t decide to hold it there, they have been prominent in criticism and exposure of the wrongs. Sure they are wealthy enough to decline the work, but it would make no difference at all. The problem is with FIFA and the corrupt, rotten process.  Once the decision was made and the thing got in motion, nothing in terms of Neville or Lineker’s actions makes a a difference. Nice if they donated fees to families of the dead workers and keep up their highlighting of the injustice throughout, mind.

Not much justification, especially as they are always keen to air their views on many subjects. Just think what an impression it would make if they refused to cover the World Cup. In fact why stop there, why is the BBC covering it at all, surely this was a very good opportunity to send a clear message to stand by their principles. I know this is idealistic of me, but in a world where every single pillar of society has in my lifetime been shown to be nothing but a shower of corruption, lies and shite, it would have been nice for one, just one person in a position of power to say no. 

Anyway, it seems the Qatari government are hiring fans to make it look like people are having fun, and it is being reported that enthusiasm for this world cup with the public is at an all time low, so maybe when the cash doesn't roll in and the viewing figures are low maybe things will change. I doubt it though.

Neville is different because he's with Bein and Beckham is obviously very different but I'd have thought Lineker is on a long term contract at the bbc that includes tournaments and doesn't give him a whole lot of sway, I dont think they would but refusing to go to Qatar puts him in breach of contract meaning he loses the MOTD gig and a career

Its a shit excuse but then as you trickle down that ladder but there's plenty of ex pros that would take the seat should any of the pundit line up choose to take a stand, I'm sure gabby and the TS boys would jump at the chance and there's no guarantee someone who said no would get back in afterwards

The sky boys wanting to take another months wage is different though 

2 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Not much justification, especially as they are always keen to air their views on many subjects. Just think what an impression it would make if they refused to cover the World Cup. In fact why stop there, why is the BBC covering it at all, surely this was a very good opportunity to send a clear message to stand by their principles. I know this is idealistic of me, but in a world where every single pillar of society has in my lifetime been shown to be nothing but a shower of corruption, lies and shite, it would have been nice for one, just one person in a position of power to say no. 

Anyway, it seems the Qatari government are hiring fans to make it look like people are having fun, and it is being reported that enthusiasm for this world cup with the public is at an all time low, so maybe when the cash doesn't roll in and the viewing figures are low maybe things will change. I doubt it though.

They would lose the World Cup contract going forward and probably face a law suit

RTE in Ireland show the Womens World Cup and Confederations Cup for similar reasons when everybody knows they dont care

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They would lose the World Cup contract going forward and probably face a law suit

RTE in Ireland show the Womens World Cup and Confederations Cup for similar reasons when everybody knows they dont care

Yep, I'm sure it's a multi tournament deal, same with the sponsors and the TV production rights, the option of just sitting this one out isn't there

FIFA aren't daft

Wonder how happy Budweiser are with this solution.  $112m they are paying to be there apparently

World Cup host Qatar requires Budweiser to move its beer stalls

Ahead of Sunday's tournament, new alcohol restrictions are imposed on Budweiser to make late changes at eight stadiums.

Budweiser was told on Saturday it had to make late changes to the visibility of its products at the eight stadiums - with the tournament opening this Sunday.

As one of FIFA's most lucrative sponsors, Budweiser has the exclusivity to sell beer at World Cup matches.

But it has had to navigate the thorny issue of selling its products in a country not accustomed to an influx of fans expecting booze to flow freely at a tournament.

Beer was already only allowed to be sold outside the stadium bowl itself, but within the perimeter for ticket holders before kick-off or post-match.

Budweiser owner AB InBev told Sky News: "AB InBev was informed on November 12 and are working with FIFA to relocate the concession outlets to locations as directed. We are working with FIFA to bring the best possible experience to the fans.

https://news.sky.com/story/world-cup-host-qatar-requires-budweiser-to-move-its-beer-stalls-12747593

Jim white on Talkshite has not shut up for months about the human right issues in Qatar, backing everything. Where is he off to Friday for a month with other Talksport associates??

To be honest, I wish they would shut up about about it all now and get on with what it's all about.

Shit me? I'd be scared to fly in that over the Gulf. 

Prince William gives final words of encouragement to England players ahead  of Qatar World Cup | Daily Mail Online

46 minutes ago, sne said:

Wonder how happy Budweiser are with this solution.  $112m they are paying to be there apparently

https://news.sky.com/story/world-cup-host-qatar-requires-budweiser-to-move-its-beer-stalls-12747593

They seem OK with it now they have announced the price of 12 pounds for a beer...well a Budweiser so wouldnt even call it a beer

Â