FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

UEFA will participate in the vote tomorrow. What a bunch of spineless morons.

I guess there is the possibility the UEFA votes help defeat Blatter. Platini says that even if he wins, UEFA will take things further and possibly pull out of FIFA and altogether.

That's my thinking.  They'll vote just in case abstaining would let him back in.

If Qatar is dropped, you'd have to imagine it'll go to England purely because it'll need less to pull together than anywhere else. 

in before levi tells you yank land is the back up plan

I think with Qatar being 2022, there's plenty of time for any of the more feasible countries to host it.  If Qatar was 2018 then there'd be an argument for going immediately with someone like an England or a USA.  But I certainly wouldn't put it past Australia to be able to get themselves ready for a 2022 WC if they were to start preparing now.

The World Cup WILL be in Qatar. They've got too much money and influence across European football for UEFA to start messing them about. Barcelona for a start.

In my humble opinion, Australia were the only real candidate anyway, what with Japan and S Korea joint hosting in 2002.

A world cup final at the MCC anyone, capacity 130,000, in the Summer?

or a WC final IN THE F*KING DESERT IN WINTER

It still makes me angry.

• Like 1

The World Cup WILL be in Qatar. They've got too much money and influence across European football for UEFA to start messing them about. Barcelona for a start.

No doubting the influence.  However, I get the impression that the big FAs in UEFA are mahoosively against re-arranging their domestic seasons in order to accommodate a winter tournament and I don't think it's massively coincidental that this sting has happened when it has happened.  It wouldn't surprise me if this was all a carefully timed means to an end.  That 'end' being a convenient way to stop Qatar getting the world cup and therefore the European FAs from having to uproot their schedules.

the European FAs are all talk though and once FIFA throw enough compensation to them they wont complain anymore. The ECA has already agreed a deal with FIFA signed by Rumenigge

The whole process should've been re-run ages ago when it was decided that it would be held in winter.

dont know id still rather watch a World Cup final at a reasonable drinking hour :)

Serious question, have the Qataris paid you to shill for them on here? :P

It'll probably be too inconvenient to strip Russia of it now but I can certainly see that happening with Qatar - the whole rescheduling thing being a huge factor.

Edit: It's interesting though. FIFA's entanglement in corruption has spanned decades but there is no suspecion over any previous winning bids. So the culture of taking backhanders for votes only began when Russia and Qatar came along?

Edited by Isa

It'll probably be too inconvenient to strip Russia of it now but I can certainly see that happening with Qatar - the whole rescheduling thing being a huge factor.

Edit: It's interesting though. FIFA's entanglement in corruption has spanned decades but there is no suspecion over any previous winning bids. So the culture of taking backhanders for votes only began when Russia and Qatar came along?

I think it's been happening a long time, as we all do really. I just think this time round, they all got so drunk on greed and power that they all thought they were invincible and didn't feel the need to even bother trying to cover what they were doing.

the american authorities have quoted a $10million bribe to get the World Cup in South Africa

I think perhaps these are still the opening shots and people will, unfortunately need a bit of patience to see where it goes.

Interesting that (IMO) the only reason the FBI is going after FIFA so hard is because the case was initially opened in NYC by the district prosecutor Loretta Lynch, who just a few weeks ago was confirmed as United States Attorney General to replace Holder. So this case is essentially now being run via the White House. Pretty extraordinary.

Edited by maqroll

the american authorities have quoted a $10million bribe to get the World Cup in South Africa

I think perhaps these are still the opening shots and people will, unfortunately need a bit of patience to see where it goes.

Yeah, the investigation over the South African bid was just pointed out to me on Twitter. That's fair enough then.

The whole process should've been re-run ages ago when it was decided that it would be held in winter.

dont know id still rather watch a World Cup final at a reasonable drinking hour :)

I wish they did

I just dont get upset about big angry FIFA like others do. Its not going to have any effect on Villa or Ireland so I dont really give a shit so I can see it for black and white and not have any agendas ;)

Disagree. You can't strip Qatar on the basis the process is bent and not do it for Russia. They will go ahead as scheduled. 

• Like 1

No, Zatman thinks that the only reason we (the English) all hate FIFA is because we failed in our bid for the world cup.

Hence his comment about agendas up there ^^^

So he goes against the trend and doesn't really bad mouth FIFA.

So, ironically, I think it's he that is clouded by an agenda ;)

Surprised at how vocal Platini is being about all of this, he always came across as very pro-Blatter.

And me, it's odd, almost like he has his own personal agenda in all this. 

Â