Week 2 Git summmm!

BOF

Thursday

20:25 Thu 12th Sep NY Jets @ New England (Sky)

Sunday

13:00 Sun 15th Sep San Diego @ Philadelphia

13:00 Sun 15th Sep Tennessee @ Houston

13:00 Sun 15th Sep Cleveland @ Baltimore

13:00 Sun 15th Sep Washington @ Green Bay

13:00 Sun 15th Sep Minnesota @ Chicago (Sky)

13:00 Sun 15th Sep Miami @ Indianapolis

13:00 Sun 15th Sep Dallas @ Kansas City

13:00 Sun 15th Sep Carolina @ Buffalo

13:00 Sun 15th Sep St Louis @ Atlanta

16:05 Sun 15th Sep New Orleans @ Tampa Bay

16:05 Sun 15th Sep Detroit @ Arizona

16:25 Sun 15th Sep Denver @ NY Giants (Sky)

16:25 Sun 15th Sep Jacksonville @ Oakland

20:30 Sun 15th Sep San Francisco @ Seattle

Monday

20:30 Mon 16th Sep Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati

Careful now. We're still not sure where this new Ravens team lies in the grand scheme of things. You might be setting yourself up for a fall (probably not though...).

Careful now. We're still not sure where this new Ravens team lies in the grand scheme of things. You might be setting yourself up for a fall (probably not though...).

We scored 27 points against you. I'm quietly confident that would be enough to win a fair few games during the course of the season.

Plus, it's Old Weed.

Winners

New England

Philadelphia

Houston

Baltimore

Green Bay

Chicago

Indianapolis

Dallas

Carolina

Atlanta

New Orleans

Detroit

NY Giants
Oakland

San Francisco
Cincinnati

**** it. Going to guy for Giants to win and trash talk the entire week. 

Composite power ratings and "expected" scorelines added

Thursday

20:25 Thu 12th Sep #29 NY Jets 12 @ 27 New England #9 (Sky)

Sunday

13:00 Sun 15th Sep #27 San Diego 27 @ 26 Philadelphia #28

13:00 Sun 15th Sep #19 Tennessee 27 @ 27 Houston #22

13:00 Sun 15th Sep #25 Cleveland 21 @ 27 Baltimore #13

13:00 Sun 15th Sep #7 Washington 25 @ 23 Green Bay #15

13:00 Sun 15th Sep #26 Minnesota 14 @ 34 Chicago #1t (Sky)

13:00 Sun 15th Sep #23 Miami 16 @ 20 Indianapolis #21

13:00 Sun 15th Sep #12 Dallas 15 @ 22 Kansas City #10

13:00 Sun 15th Sep #5 Carolina 26 @ 20 Buffalo #11

13:00 Sun 15th Sep #20 St Louis 20 @ 22 Atlanta #17

16:05 Sun 15th Sep #16 New Orleans 34 @ 25 Tampa Bay #32

16:05 Sun 15th Sep #3 Detroit 25 @ 19 Arizona #14

16:25 Sun 15th Sep #6 Denver 34 @ 23 NY Giants #18 (Sky)

16:25 Sun 15th Sep #30 Jacksonville 22 @ 22 Oakland #31

20:30 Sun 15th Sep #8 San Francisco 15 @ 27 Seattle #1t (Channel 4)

Monday

20:30 Mon 16th Sep #24 Pittsburgh 10 @ 23 Cincinnati #4 (British Eurosport 2)

Road team clean sweep in the evening games I see. I can't see Jacksonville beating Oakland. The Raiders looked good last week and I'd expect them to blow out the Jagwaaaars. (sorry Brum&ME).

20:25 Thu 12th Sep NY Jets @ New England (Sky)
13:00 Sun 15th Sep San Diego @ Philadelphia
13:00 Sun 15th Sep Tennessee @ Houston
13:00 Sun 15th Sep Cleveland @ Baltimore
13:00 Sun 15th Sep Washington @ Green Bay
13:00 Sun 15th Sep Minnesota @ Chicago (Sky)
13:00 Sun 15th Sep Miami @ Indianapolis
13:00 Sun 15th Sep Dallas @ Kansas City
13:00 Sun 15th Sep Carolina @ Buffalo
13:00 Sun 15th Sep St Louis @ Atlanta
16:05 Sun 15th Sep New Orleans @ Tampa Bay
16:05 Sun 15th Sep Detroit @ Arizona
16:25 Sun 15th Sep Denver @ NY Giants (Sky)
16:25 Sun 15th Sep Jacksonville @ Oakland
20:30 Sun 15th Sep San Francisco @ Seattle
20:30 Mon 16th Sep Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati

Not confident with a few of those at this early point in the season.  Mainly Cincinnati (I always expect Pitt to bounce back), Arizona, Carolina (The Bills were no mugs against the Pats).  Even Tennessee at a strong Houston and, yes, even Denver at the always dangerous at home Giants mightn't be all plain sailing.

Brady's looked horrific through 2 games. They'll make the playoffs by default, but they're nowhere near genuine challengers IMO.

Even the fastest sports car splutters and farts when it's started cold. You know as well as I do that the Pats haven't hit their stride yet.

Will New York Giants fake injuries to slow fast-paced Broncos offense?
A shot of sports commentary each weekday near quittin' time
By Benjamin Hochman

The Denver Post

Posted:   09/12/2013 03:00:00 PM MDT | Updated:   about 19 hours ago
20130912__HappyHour091213~p1_200.jpg
Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning (18) passed for seven touchdowns in the season opener against the Baltimore Ravens on Sept. 5. (Joe Amon, The Denver Post)

Not since Barry Sanders have NFL teams had a harder time stopping B.S.

Players are faking injuries to slow down fast-paced offenses — this alleged by both opposing players and even an owner — yet how do you police something you can't prove?

That's one of the big storylines heading into Broncos-Giants on Sunday. After all, it was the Giants last weekend who Jerry Jones said were faking with the theatrics of Elaine Benes on that "Seinfeld" episode.

"It was so obvious it was funny," the Cowboys owner told ESPNDallas.com. "It wasn't humorous because we really wanted the advantage, and knew we could get it if we could get the ball snapped."

If you're a defensive player, you want to do everything you can to slow down an offensive attack. So why not slow it down by faking an injury? It's essentially impossible to prove if the guy is faking, even if, as was heard during the Philadelphia-Washington Monday night game, Eagles players screamed, "He's faking!"

And as the old saying goes — and I hate the old saying — it's not cheating unless you get caught. So really, all one can hope is that karma nails these guys, because the league can't. Sure, there's the rule that you have to miss a play if you go down injured on a previous play. But let's say the NFL implements a rule that an injured player must sit out an entire series. Is that fair to the guy who actually did suffer a painful cramp but started to feel better after a couple minutes?

Last season, the league did bust one dude for faking. Pittsburgh's Emmanuel Sanders was fined $15,000 and the Steelers were fined $35,000, according to NFL.com, which quoted a letter league executive Ray Anderson wrote to the Steelers:

"Despite the account given by Sanders during a meeting, neither the video sequence of the pertinent plays nor the observations of the on-field official support Sanders' contention that he was in severe pain, either before, while falling to the ground, lying on the ground, or when he was being assisted in leaving the field.

"Moreover, after missing the one play that is mandatory pursuant to the playing rules, and receiving no apparent treatment, Sanders returned to the game for a fourth down punt, on which he out sprinted all of his teammates 26 yards down the field, arriving at the ball ahead of all other Pittsburgh players, and then downing the ball."

Some fans will say that faking an injury is just gamesmanship and a creative way to get an edge. No. Faking an injury is a bush league move that admits that you're weaker than your opponent.

Flopping in basketball is also bush league — a defensive player figuring out a loophole to punish an offensive player who didn't do anything wrong — and this NFL faking is even worse than flopping. Offenses, notably our town's team and coach Chip Kelly's Eagles, thrive off speed and wearing down a defense. These teams accomplish this success due to hard work and dedication. All that work and creativity can be thwarted by a guy flailing on the ground? That's just unfair.

"It will slow a team down real bad," Broncos wide receiver Demaryius Thomas said. "Especially if you're going fast. Slowing the tempo will get guys a rest and get the offense out of their groove."

Indeed it's a hot topic this week because the accusations involved the Giants, the Broncos play the Giants and the Broncos play even faster than the Cowboys.

Asked about all this, Denver coach John Fox said, "I think it's something that's been going on forever. I don't think there's a way to dictate that. I think it's hard for any official. They have tough jobs as it is with some of the enforcements. To be able to determine whether a guy is injured or not, I don't think that's their lane either. You just go about your business and deal with whatever you deal with during the game."

Link

NFL players diving?

It's inevitable and tbh it's surprising it's not already widespread. It is to the NFL's credit as a sport that it can largely hold its head up high in this regard. I'd expect this from the Raiders but not the Giants.

I watched most of last night's game and I'm so sick of Mike Mayock. 

He's from the school of commentary of not commentating on the game, just gushing about players, any player. If anyone makes a play, we get about half a  minute of Mike Mayock saying how great they are, listing all of their qualities, ooo they were a steal in the draft, yadda, yadda, yadda. 

The embarrassing thing last night was that Geno Smith made a good throw early on when he got hit in the mouth. He spent most of the rest of the game saying how great he was, how promising he was, how exciting he was, this was way into the third quarter. 

Of course, Geno Smith hadn't made another good throw by then, he'd actually been atrocious and he finally shut up about how great he was. 

Â