Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

On 24/08/2023 at 15:56, choffer said:

Last time I was there, I was on the back row of the top shelf. Half the pitch obscured by the scoreboard (which they'd blu-tacked two tiny telly's to the back of so we had an indication of what was going on in the bits we couldn't see. £125 a ticket. Absolute insanity, quite apart from the fact that it's generally impossible to find any tickets. Then again, it's England and that's not generally something I'm all that interested in (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿).

it used to be. they're much easier now for obvious reasons. i got tickets to all 3 home games in the 6 nations (sold the france one luckily)

i wasn't convinced jones needed to be sacked. some of the best rugby, if not THE best rugby i've seen an england side play was under him. i didn't watch today, but losing at home to fiji (warm up match or no warm up match) is a borderline sackable offence on its own. borthwick won't be the head coach for the 6 nations if the world cup goes as badly as we all expect it to

Edited by tomav84
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

it used to be. they're much easier now for obvious reasons. i got tickets to all 3 home games in the 6 nations (sold the france one luckily)

i wasn't convinced jones needed to be sacked. some of the best rugby, if not THE best rugby i've seen an england side play was under him. i didn't watch today, but losing at home to fiji (warm up match or no warm up match) is a borderline sackable offence on its own. borthwick won't be the head coach for the 6 nations if the world cup goes as badly as we all expect it to

I didn’t think Fiji were much cop today. England were abysmal though. If that’s what England fans have been being served up since Jones left, I almost feel sorry for them all. 

Borthwick seems really awkward in his interviews. Often sounds like he’s reading a press release or stumbles and stutters his way through what he’s saying. The nerves actually make me root for him a bit more as he seems like a decent guy but I don’t think it’s going to happen. 

Mate of mine has just messaged our group saying that he was at a party and met the Leicester general manager. Apparently he said that the mood in the camp is terrible - even lower than it seems - and the coaches are finding it really tough. There are a few more injuries that haven’t been disclosed and that Sinkler is definitely out of the World Cup. 

At this point it would be a big surprise if we made it out of the group. 

I went down to Twickenham today. What a steaming pile of turf that was. England are so easy to play against. So predictable in attack, no one can change what the “plan” (I use that term loosely) is, and attack space. There was one period in the first half Fiji were in the attacking 22, they had sent all the players left, England turned over and all it took was one pass to our left and Johnny May had the length of the pitch to run into, instead Lawrence stepped back inside and kicked, May was rightly going ballistic about it. In defence time time again, a simple ball back inside by Fiji and we were ripped open. 
Borthwick nice guy, did well at Leicester, but he’ll be gone post World Cup that’s for sure. 

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

This is the ABs first ever pool loss! France have got to be the favourites to win it, even if this is a weaker than usual NZ side, only SA I think get near them

You're not even giving Ireland a chanc?.  If they bring their A game, then they're a match for any team.

Edited by sheepyvillian

On 26/08/2023 at 22:29, mikeyp102 said:

I went down to Twickenham today. What a steaming pile of turf that was. England are so easy to play against. So predictable in attack, no one can change what the “plan” (I use that term loosely) is, and attack space. There was one period in the first half Fiji were in the attacking 22, they had sent all the players left, England turned over and all it took was one pass to our left and Johnny May had the length of the pitch to run into, instead Lawrence stepped back inside and kicked, May was rightly going ballistic about it. In defence time time again, a simple ball back inside by Fiji and we were ripped open. 
Borthwick nice guy, did well at Leicester, but he’ll be gone post World Cup that’s for sure. 

I knew what we would get with Borthwick, and how he proved me right. 

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

You're not even giving Ireland a chanc?.  If they bring their A game, then they're a match for any team.

I just don't fancy them for it. Probably the third best side in the world, but unfortunately for them I think that means a narrow loss to SA in the pools and then getting knocked out by France in the QFs

7 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

It's a big ask for a team who have never won a World Cup knockout match to put together three big performances in three consecutive weekends. This is made even more difficult by their reliance on a 38 year old injury prone fly half. I don't think he can do three high intensity matches in such a short space of time and prepare during the week. This is what undid England in 2019, Aus, NZ then the Boks, it's brutal and Ireland do not have that experience.

Edited by luckyeddie

10 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

It's a big ask for a team who have never won a World Cup knockout match to put together three big performances in three consecutive weekends. This is made even more difficult by their reliance on a 38 year old injury prone fly half. I don't think he can do three high intensity matches in such a short space of time and prepare during the week. This is what undid England in 2019, Aus, NZ then the Boks, it's brutal and Ireland do not have that experience.

I beg to differ. They are a machine as they proved by beating the All Blacks  on their own turf,  it doesn't get much more intensive than that. And just as that was a first, I'm pretty confident about them winning this for the first time. Let's see.

15 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

I just don't fancy them for it. Probably the third best side in the world, but unfortunately for them I think that means a narrow loss to SA in the pools and then getting knocked out by France in the QFs

Not for me, on their day there's not a better team to watch, imo. I think they will beat SA convincingly, I certainly hope they do. No better team to see get beat than them.

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

I beg to differ. They are a machine as they proved by beating the All Blacks  on their own turf,  it doesn't get much more intensive than that. And just as that was a first, I'm pretty confident about them winning this for the first time. Let's see.

I would love a northern hemisphere team to win it, Ireland are a formidable team. If I was a betting man my money would be on France, then the Boks, then Ireland. If Sexton stays fit, then I think they will be there or there abouts.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

I would love a northern hemisphere team to win it, Ireland are a formidable team. If I was a betting man my money would be on France, then the Boks, then Ireland. If Sexton stays fit, then I think they will be there or there abouts.

I've always admired the Irish Rugby team especially for their dismissive stance towards sectarianism, unlike the football team.

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

I've always admired the Irish Rugby team especially for their dismissive stance towards sectarianism, unlike the football team.

Yeah, I do like the way the team has always been a mixture of

• Northern Ireland and Eire
  • Catholics and Protestants
  • Working class (forwards) and middle class (backs) in the old days

This is the best aspect of rugby union.

Â