What's in a name?

AntrimBlack

Interesting that Hull City AFC intend to change their name to Hull Tigers for marketing purposes.

I have always been of the opinion that our change to AVFC was misguided in that Aston Villa is so instantly recognisable, so very unique, and has that `certain something' about it.

It has also been mentioned many times by posters on this and other sites that the name was one of the first things to catch their attention, and this is particularly true of international supporters.

Although tradition means a lot, I am always happy to embrace new ideas, but whereas Hull City are stepping forward with their name change, in my opinion AVFC is so bland that we should really be stepping back for a unique and much more marketable option.

Sorry. Did not make myself clear. I meant the badge. I feel that that is quite a noticeable part of our image, and always, as far as I know, carried our full name.

And no, not some daft name, but the proud name that we have carried for all these years. I just feel that the name `Aston Villa' has lost its prominance.

I'd prefer a different badge, a better one, with Aston Villa on it rather than AVFC. But my giveafuckometer is barely registering a reading.

Saying that I quite like the crest on the 70's shirts, which simply had AV under a blue lion.

We've not changed our name so moot thread is moot.

Edited by Kingfisher
  • Like 1

Aston Villa is the best name of any sports team in the world ever. The A and the V look great together as they're similar shapes but inverted, and both words have 5 letters so there's a sort of symmetry to it. It's aesthetically pleasing and sounds nice when spoken aloud. I would prefer Aston Villa on the badge, but AVFC doesn't really bother me all that much.

Anyway, if we had Birmingham in our name, then foreign players would know exactly where we're from instead of thinking we're from London. Benteke wouldn't have joined us!

Edited by Ginko

We literally have one of the best names, why change it.....

Do people in Norway know that we are from Birmingham?

Yes. The only people that don`t know are people who really don`t know anything about football 

I think we should follow the Hull City example.

Change the name of the club to Aston Villa Lions.

The club could then slowly move to just being called "The Lions".

Then, at some future date the entire franchise could be moved, US style, to somewhere closer to London, which the players would like.

The next logical step would of course be to introduce sponsorship. A huge cash injection would be available if we were to make the sensible move of adding a sponsor's name to the club's. Some large multinational company with lots of money to inject into the club. The Halliburton Lions, say.

• Like 1

Â