Manchester United

BOF

32 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Players being frozen out is a part of football, I don't think there is any recourse if they keep getting paid.

You’re possibly right, but there must be something driving United to bring him back. I don’t think it’s because he’s a generational talent or because they feel they owe someone who has been with them since he was 7. They know they face a world of pain, but are still trying to do it.

I think it’s because he is threatening a painful and expensive legal case against them. 

49 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Is anybody really surprised that United want him back?  The club that brought us Ryan Giggs and Cristiano Ronaldo, must be part of the "United DNA"

I am tbh. In this day and age it's such a PR blunder, so even if you have no morals as they clearly don't, it's going to hurt them far more than it'll help. It's not as if they needed him really.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

If they had any sense they wouldn't have released any statement and just sent him on loan to a different country for a season. Then see where the land lies after that. It's hard to see him being able to play premier league football without getting abused by fans at every game. Even the United fans will surely boo him. 

Would a loan have helped? I don't see how people would have forgotten; we're talking about 12 months, not 10 years. I suppose it would have been a chance for him to play himself into form and they could maybe have got a fee for him? But playing him can achieve that, and perhaps result in a higher fee. 

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I am tbh. In this day and age it's such a PR blunder, so even if you have no morals as they clearly don't, it's going to hurt them far more than it'll help. It's not as if they needed him really.

A lot of people will be outraged if he plays, but it will eventually forgotten.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

A lot of people will be outraged if he plays, but it will eventually forgotten.

I’m not sure it’ll be forgotten. People still abuse Zouma for kicking his cat. Each time Lineker writes something on Twitter the comments about the time he shat on the pitch on the 80’s.

United will lose more sponsors than Twitter, and it’ll go on for as long as they have Greenwood at the club.

I’m actually intrigued to see him play again for United just to hear the type of reception he gets. Forget about booing a former player on his return, it’ll be 100x more aggressive than that.

Edited by Genie

Television presenter Rachel Riley says she will stop supporting Manchester United if forward Mason Greenwood stays at the club. 

United say no decision has been made about his future, which is still the "subject of intensive internal deliberation".

Forward Greenwood, 21, had denied the criminal charges against him, including attempted rape and assault. 

The Crown Prosecution Service dropped all the charges on 2 February. 

"I won't be able to support United if Greenwood remains at the club," she said on Thursday.

_130818850_f3oquu9xgaa536i.jpg

I still can’t believe they’re even considering it

link

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Genie said:

I’m actually intrigued to see him play again for United just to hear the type of reception he gets. Forget about booing a former player on his return, it’ll be 100x more aggressive than that.

You'd like the think the amount of coins chucked at him would cover his wages.

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

_130818850_f3oquu9xgaa536i.jpg

I still can’t believe they’re even considering it

link

Football is a business and technically speaking he is innocent.

Football fans has been proven to quickly forget.

Once he gets up to speed and start scoring goals nobody will care.

4 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I 100% disagree. Everyone outside of only a subset of United fans will be providing constant reminders.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Football is a business and technically speaking he is innocent.

Football fans has been proven to quickly forget.

Technically speaking it didn't even go to court. Not because the CPS didn't want it to but because the key witness, for reasons that have been the subject of a great deal of speculation, decided she wasn't willing to go to court.

I think you have massively misread the mood among a lot of football fans but I don't think that will factor much at all. The sponsors and the money will drive the decision.

ATEOTD I think the people saying 'he'll be booed because people will remember' are right, but kind of so what really? Players get booed for all kinds of reasons, and boos are not magical incantations, it's just noise that players are used to ignoring. Someone upthread was saying 'well Zouma still gets booed', but Zouma is an example of the opposite point; the guy was literally filmed abusing an animal but once he was back he was back, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Once Greenwood is back he'll be back, and boos won't make a blind bit of difference to anything. 

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

ATEOTD I think the people saying 'he'll be booed because people will remember' are right, but kind of so what really? Players get booed for all kinds of reasons, and boos are not magical incantations, it's just noise that players are used to ignoring. Someone upthread was saying 'well Zouma still gets booed', but Zouma is an example of the opposite point; the guy was literally filmed abusing an animal but once he was back he was back, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Once Greenwood is back he'll be back, and boos won't make a blind bit of difference to anything. 

I agree about the boo’s, nobody gives a shit about that.

I think it’ll be much more than boo’s during games. There will be protests galore. Then we’ll see more like above from Rachel Riley, high profile fans publicly turning their backs. Then people will be attacking the sponsors so they’ll start to back away too.

It won’t go away whilst he’s playing there.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Tbf I think the zouma example was used to demonstrate fans still remember things rather than the level of abuse he will get. There are a subset of folks out there who were genuinely angry/outraged at what zouma did as cat lovers (me included!) but it’s gonna be nothing compared to the anger people have around what greenwood did.

Itll be interesting to see what happens. Maybe posters are right that he’ll just live with the abuse and things move on. But it wouldn’t surprise me if it does start to affect performances given the likely degree 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Ofc he will be booed but for how long is the question.

My prediction is it will be a lot in the beginning but eventually it will start to quiet down.

well it's got to be the sponsors and high profile fans to kick up a fuss. The usual regulars will boo and then accept anything, as they always do, and then eventually, or even swiftly they will defend every decision their club has made because they are, like many football fans, fundamentically pathetic human beings who need to rally around the team. Look how little shits the arsenal fans give about a certain midfielder of theirs? Indeed if i remember rightly, they even tracked down the woman making accusations to hurl abuse at her. Look how quickly everyone came to the defence of Mendy, who, whilst he was technically found not guilty, openly admitted to treating women badly as part of his general behaviour.  The defence of Ronaldo by pathetic ronaldista cult fanboys when he faced a rape accusation. 

These are fans who will boo symbolic gestures to fight racism, as football grounds seem to be where you find many of those bellends who espouse the all lives matter bollocks because they're the kind of specimens  who think there is no such thing as racism or sexism or homophobia, and it's all just "woke" complaints. A word none of those clearings in the woods can ever define, but gets used as a catch all by them to shut their braincells down from thinking about a situation, from interrogating their own thoughts and prejudices. 

These are newcastle fans, these are man city fans, these are the united fans who want the qatari owners etc. These are the fans who want pure money and success and literally will accept anything to get their, and dismiss any obstacles as some form of conspiracy theory or wokeism in their path. They are repellent, pathetic, devoid of the capacity to imagine doing something else with their weekends, and channel all their emotions through the lightening rod of their football club. They will defend their bastards, their cheats, their accountants. ( We do, to a certain extent, it's a matter of degree, we no doubt have fans who would happily be sponsored by Ian Huntley and Gary Glitter if they were billionaires looking to invest )

So I have no faith that substantial numbers of fans will maintain protests. Some small numbers of respectable decent people will put up a fight, the number of women who attend the games may well drop a bit, but even then you can imagine that psychological need to defend the club will effect even some of the women who will buy the "partial evidence" crap, who will start going "well if she's taken him back, it can't be that bad", that drip drip move back to acceptance, apologising for domestic abusers, just like apologising for rapists, racists, cat kickers, saudi arabia, oil state wealth etc, because doing that is easier than going 'No, I won't stand for that'. 

15 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Ofc he will be booed but for how long is the question.

My prediction is it will be a lot in the beginning but eventually it will start to quiet down.

It’s not booing that will be an issue it will be the social media campaigns to boycott any of Manchester United’s sponsors which will drive a rethink from them.

Money is the only issue that matters. 

• Like 2

Â