VillaGoMarching

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Dembele actually. They've yet to replace him. They would have had a much better chance to win the CL if he stayed too 

Yeah he was brilliant for them. Strange how he left, I swear a few months prior to his departure, Poch was saying he’s as good as Maradona, then before you know it he’s leaving to play in China for about £10m. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Yeah he was brilliant for them. Strange how he left, I swear a few months prior to his departure, Poch was saying he’s as good as Maradona, then before you know it he’s leaving to play in China for about £10m. 

Think he was nearly 33 when they sold him

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Have conceded 62 goals now this season in the league. Dreadful

I literally cant think of any of their defenders or keeper that i would prefer to ours.

Only one id consider is romaro. But he is rash. The rest are **** poor

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

Conte performed miracles with them and Mourinho was a game away from getting them a trophy which could well have happened if he wasn't sacked days before a final. Just shows that the players / board might not like their approach in the media but they know what they're doing. 

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

Conte performed miracles with them and Mourinho was a game away from getting them a trophy which could well have happened if he wasn't sacked days before a final. Just shows that the players / board might not like their approach in the media but they know what they're doing. 

'Performed miracles'? He did quite well on a points-per-game basis, at just under 1.9. I'm not sure that's 'miraculous'. 

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

'Performed miracles'? He did quite well on a points-per-game basis, at just under 1.9. I'm not sure that's 'miraculous'. 

Its the highest win rate by any Spurs manager in the Premier League not called Tim Sherwood

He was also managing shit like Lloris, Dier, Bissouma, Richarlison, Sanchez etc. The bar for Spurs is actually not that high

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its the highest win rate by any Spurs manager in the Premier League not called Tim Sherwood

He was also managing shit like Lloris, Dier, Bissouma, Richarlison, Sanchez etc. The bar for Spurs is actually not that high

Right, it's reasonable enough on a PPG basis (though it's also basically identical to Pochettino). 

But they also went out of the Champions League in the round of 16 to Milan, the League Cup in the 3rd round to Forest, and the FA Cup in the 5th round to Sheffield Utd. The football was dire. The game that precipitated his departure was a humiliating draw with Southampton where they threw away a two-goal lead. I don't think any of this is what miracles are made of. 

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Right, it's reasonable enough on a PPG basis (though it's also basically identical to Pochettino). 

But they also went out of the Champions League in the round of 16 to Milan, the League Cup in the 3rd round to Forest, and the FA Cup in the 5th round to Sheffield Utd. The football was dire. The game that precipitated his departure was a humiliating draw with Southampton where they threw away a two-goal lead. I don't think any of this is what miracles are made of. 

This is a shocking squad to get them near top 4. If they lost Kane they would probably be realistically be bottom 6 in terms of ability

Spurs were 4th when he left 9 games ago, they are now 12points from 4th

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

This is a shocking squad to get them near top 4. If they lost Kane they would probably be realistically be bottom 6 in terms of ability

Sure, but nobody's disputing that he did a better job than Stellini and Ryan Mason. Obviously he's a proper manager and neither of them are. But despite his comparatively high PPG, I suspect most Spurs fans think his time in charge was largely a failure relative to expectations, not a miracle. 

Should Spurs have kept him? Well there wasn't much choice for the club in the matter was there. And I think it would be a stretch to argue he acted professionally. I would be livid with a Villa manager who was trying so blatantly to force his way out of the club. 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Sure, but nobody's disputing that he did a better job than Stellini and Ryan Mason. Obviously he's a proper manager and neither of them are. But despite his comparatively high PPG, I suspect most Spurs fans think his time in charge was largely a failure relative to expectations, not a miracle. 

Should Spurs have kept him? Well there wasn't much choice for the club in the matter was there. And I think it would be a stretch to argue he acted professionally. I would be livid with a Villa manager who was trying so blatantly to force his way out of the club. 

Well Spurs knew Conte was like that at everyty club he managed, it was predicted on his appointment this would happen. I think they also didnt back him like he expected because stories are Spurs lied to him when he gave his summer targets and can see why was pissed

Spurs fans have been calling for Levys head more since Conte left so fans can see where the problem is too

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

On that point, I read a stat that Kane won them about 40% of their points this season, and without him they'd be level on points with Everton. Of course it doesn't exactly work like that and someone else would likely pick up the slack to some degree, but yeah they aren't a very good side at all. Lots of work to do.

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

Even if Mourinho wasn’t sacked when he was, he’d still have had to beat City in the final.

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well Spurs knew Conte was like that at everyty club he managed, it was predicted on his appointment this would happen. I think they also didnt back him like he expected because stories are Spurs lied to him when he gave his summer targets and can see why was pissed

Spurs fans have been calling for Levys head more since Conte left so fans can see where the problem is too

Possibly that point about transfers is true, possibly it's a convenient excuse for him to quit a job he clearly had no interest in doing, possibly it's somewhere in the middle. I do know that Spurs spent £5m on a loan with an obligation to spend a further £39m to buy a deeply flawed wing-back in the January window that Conte was bizarrely insistent on and who has been an embarrassingly shit transfer, so there's that. 

Anyway, that's enough from me on this. The point remains - I was responding to claim that Conte was 'performing miracles' at Spurs. I think he obviously wasn't, and I don't think I'm going to be persuaded otherwise. I'll leave it at that. 

9 hours ago, duke313 said:

Even if Mourinho wasn’t sacked when he was, he’d still have had to beat City in the final.

If I had the choice of manager for a final, and the 2 choices were a bloke in his 20s who hasn't managed a professional game in his life or completed his badges but gets on with some of the squad, or Mourinho, I know who I'm picking every single time. The only thing I can think of, is that there was a huge bonus in the contract for winning a trophy that Levy did not want to pay out to someone who was otherwise seen as underperforming. Which is fair as at the time I thought spurs were boring to watch and further down the table than they should be. 

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Just hyperbole on my part with Conte, I don't set the bar high enough when describing people as performing miracles. I just meant that he did a better job than I think most managers in active work would do at that club. And I don't think that gets acknowledged enough because of his unprofessional outburst that helped oil his sacking.

I do however stand by the fact I think Gerrard said things just as bad when we were underperforming just as much last season and I don't think the media even blinked, let alone start an hour by hour dialogue of how long will it be till he's jobless. Nathan Jones had more embarrassing outbursts than Conte before he'd brushed his teeth in the morning. The media did seem to gun for him more than seemed necessary and didn't seem to discuss enough for my liking, whether what he said had truth.

The whole thing at the time about Spurs not being where they should be seemed bonkers. It's a club that seems to be allowed to be self-entitled without any ridicule a lot of the time and I'm not sure they'd get away with it if Kane wasn't up front for them. I'm looking forward to seeing the narrative change next season once he's gone. 

52 minutes ago, skarroki said:

If I had the choice of manager for a final, and the 2 choices were a bloke in his 20s who hasn't managed a professional game in his life or completed his badges but gets on with some of the squad, or Mourinho, I know who I'm picking every single time. The only thing I can think of, is that there was a huge bonus in the contract for winning a trophy that Levy did not want to pay out to someone who was otherwise seen as underperforming. Which is fair as at the time I thought spurs were boring to watch and further down the table than they should be. 

Well, that's not the point I was making. I too would choose Mourinho over Mason for a Cup final, but you made it sound like they would have won if they kept Jose (they likely wouldn't have)

6 hours ago, duke313 said:

Well, that's not the point I was making. I too would choose Mourinho over Mason for a Cup final, but you made it sound like they would have won if they kept Jose (they likely wouldn't have)

I didn't mean it to sound like they would have won, I meant "could well have" as in there was a chance of them winning the trophy with them being in the final. I take your point though they were the underdogs 

17 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I do know that Spurs spent £5m on a loan with an obligation to spend a further £39m to buy a deeply flawed wing-back in the January window that Conte was bizarrely insistent on and who has been an embarrassingly shit transfer, so there's that. 

Who is this?

Â