Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

People who phone me at work, ask me something, and are then annoyed because it's not my area and I have to refer them to the person they should have rung in the first place.

Sorry, should I just guess the answer to your question? Why are you annoyed with me? YOU'RE the one who rang the wrong person. I shoul dbe annoyed at you!

TWAAAATS

People who phone me at work, ask me something, and are then annoyed because it's not my area and I have to refer them to the person they should have rung in the first place.

Sorry, should I just guess the answer to your question? Why are you annoyed with me? YOU'RE the one who rang the wrong person. I shoul dbe annoyed at you!

TWAAAATS

Cosmic. I just had EXACTLY that situation happen to me. Very irritating.

You dealt with it wrongly then. At the first point that you can, you say "ah, you rang the wrong department. I can give you their extension or put you through". Make it very obvious that they've messed up. That way they're only giving out to themselves. The mistake you make is trying to be nice to them about it. They see that as weakness and pounce! My low tolerance for fools and indifference towards diplmoacy means I rarely make your mistake :) Never rude though! Just 'to the point'.

I just said "Ah, you need to speak to Joe Bloggs. He's the finance manager for that programme"

Cue an irritated sigh and mumblings.

I really did want to say "What could I possibly do in this situation to cause you to not be annoyed right now?"

I just said "Ah, you need to speak to Joe Bloggs. He's the finance manager for that programme"

Cue an irritated sigh and mumblings.

Yeah, see, that sounds like you trying to pass it off. Making it sound like your fault for being lazy rather than being theirs for ringing the wrong department. Rookie error :P

The anti apple fan boy in my office... again!

My boss has brought his new iPad in with him today. Not to show it off, just because he's using it later. I noticed, asked him when he got it.

This loser pipes up straight away

"Oh, does your new iPad have removable memory?"

Shut up you clearing in the woods. You know it doesn't, stop trying to be a clever dick.

"I'm waiting for the kindle fire, so much better value for money than an iPad"

blah blah blah.

Dick.

I've just **** destroyed this guy.

He just said "Why on earth would Lambert leave Norwich for Villa?"

I probably look like an absolute dick right now. but **** it. I've never seen him look so speechless.

Well, I responded with

"I can't think of a single reason why he wouldn't come to Villa from Norwich" (which isn't exactly true, but I was annoyed, because he asked his question in his usual dickish, poking for a reaction manner. So I gave him a reaction)

Him: "They've got more fans than Villa"

Me: "Well that's not true"

Him: "It is, they had the same amount of season ticket sales as you last season."

Me: "A season in which we probably had our lowest season ticket sales for years, and they probably had their highest. A season when we reached our lowest point for the past 20 odd years and they reached their highest. One season means nothing"

Him: "But they finished 12th and Villa finished 16th. You could argue they're a bigger club than Villa"

Well I won't go on with the dialogue, as I then proceeded to just spout the usual stuff we say to clubs who think they are bigger than us (more fans, better stadium, more money, better squad, better history, better facilities, more potential, better academy etc etc etc).

But the rant started with "What the **** are you talking about?" and ended with "And why the **** are you bigging up Norwich anyway, you're a tractor boy!"

As I said, I probably look an absolute dick. But if we're counting times we've been a dick, he's winning about 975-1

Person rang me yesterday from my mobile company asking for stuff about my recent purchase saying how I hadn't sent off documentation. I said I had, she checked and found that I had and that she had made a mistake. Then she said, 'No problem'. 'No problem'. You have not done me a favour. I was cooking breakfast and you interrupted me with your erroneous phone call. You don't get to decide if there was a problem or not. 'No problem'. **** you

Person rang me yesterday from my mobile company asking for stuff about my recent purchase saying how I hadn't sent off documentation. I said I had, she checked and found that I had and that she had made a mistake. Then she said, 'No problem'. 'No problem'. You have not done me a favour. I was cooking breakfast and you interrupted me with your erroneous phone call. You don't get to decide if there was a problem or not. 'No problem'. **** you
Did she say "No problem" in that annoying singsong voice? "NO probl-e-e-e-m". They usually do.

Academic analysis of art, including literature.
Annoys the hell out of me when an academic does an introduction to a novel and mentions key plot points.

Academic analysis of art, including literature.
Annoys the hell out of me when an academic does an introduction to a novel and mentions key plot points.
If I particularly enjoy a novel, I will probably read the introduction. But only after reading the book, NEVER before.

Yes, that is very annoying. I absolutely detest the 'what they meant here' gibberish. No they bloody didn't. They are just a bunch of smug arses, pleased with themselves and suffer from delusions of importance. Well done you, you read through all 300 of Earl Cockstein of Warwick's love letters to his estranged wife. What a wonderful contribution to humanity you are.

All art is open for interpretation, and some leather-patched, self-proclaimed intellectuals don't have a monopoly on it. But right they do, and it puts a lot of average punters off from going to exhibitions or reading more challenging books.

All art is open for interpretation, and some leather-patched, self-proclaimed intellectuals don't have a monopoly on it. But right they do, and it puts a lot of average punters off from going to exhibitions or reading more challenging books.

I'd say that peer-reviewed analysis of literature is a hugely critical environment where it's very rare (I certainly have not come across it) for one person to have a monopoly on a subject.

I also think the process will (hopefully) become a much more open one in the near future with proposals to publish papers on Wikipedia (here) rather than tucked away in expensive journals.

I'd also say that the research required to write a full scale commentary on a subject is quite breathtaking really with bibliographies and footnotes often running into several hundred pages.

I don't know too much about the non literature art world and their review process so can't really comment on them.

If you're talking about the sort of bods that appear on Newsnight Review, that's not really academic analysis of art. It's an academic giving a review which is an entirely different matter.

Â