Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

People clapping and yelping at the lights going out at the start of a high profile just released film

People standing and clapping at the end of said high profile just released film.

Im as much of a fan as the next person but clappers and whoopers can **** off :angry:

Isn't assistance only needed on the first item of alcohol? It is in my experience. She comes over, confirms you are either of age or whatever, 'unlocks' the scanner and you're good to go with the rest of them. I've never tried with paracetemol. If I really wanted to kill myself it might require visiting 2 different pharmacies (ZOMG!1!).

There are limits on the amount of acetaminophen (or, more properly and universally, n-para-acetylaminophenol) you can buy?

I realize if you take too much it will destroy your liver, but...

(the only common OTC drug that's ID controlled that I'm aware of is pseudoedphedrine... dextromorphan is also generally age-controlled)

Isn't assistance only needed on the first item of alcohol? It is in my experience. She comes over, confirms you are either of age or whatever, 'unlocks' the scanner and you're good to go with the rest of them. I've never tried with paracetemol. If I really wanted to kill myself it might require visiting 2 different pharmacies (ZOMG!1!).

There are limits on the amount of acetaminophen (or, more properly and universally, n-para-acetylaminophenol) you can buy?

I realize if you take too much it will destroy your liver, but...

(the only common OTC drug that's ID controlled that I'm aware of is pseudoedphedrine... dextromorphan is also generally age-controlled)

Don't know all the US drug names, but basically there is a two-packet (say, 2 x 16 pills) maximum purchase on any of the regular painkillers in any one transaction in a given shop. It's to discourage suicide attempts - although obviously there's nothing to stop you going to a few different shops to build up your supply, I guess that does at least slow you down and give you time for reflection.

This weather.

It's the middle of July. I should be lying in a park, drinking beer, looking at pretty chicks who are wearing next to nothing.

Am I, though? NO! I'm sitting at home watching men in windcheaters and caps hit golf balls around a large expanse of greenery.

**** the British summer time.

Don't know all the US drug names, but basically there is a two-packet (say, 2 x 16 pills) maximum purchase on any of the regular painkillers in any one transaction in a given shop. It's to discourage suicide attempts - although obviously there's nothing to stop you going to a few different shops to build up your supply, I guess that does at least slow you down and give you time for reflection.

Holy **** shit...

I can go down the street and buy a half-dozen bottles of 500 x 500mg pills off the shelf.

The others I listed are upper respiratory medications. Pseudoephedrine can be used to make methamphetamine, though there's little evidence that any substantial quantities of meth are produced using PSE... checking wiki, it's controlled similarly in the UK as in the US: must be dispensed by a pharmacist (but not necessarily with a prescription) with a 720mg limit per transaction (vs. 3.6g per day and 9g per 30 day period, with most states logging transactions in a central database).

Dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant with some mind-altering properties at high doses:

Dextromethorphan, when consumed in low "recreational doses" (between 100 & 200 mg), is described as having a euphoric effect. With middle doses (about 400 mg, or 2.5 to 7.5 mg/kg), intense euphoria, vivid imagination, and closed-eye hallucinations may occur. With high doses (600 mg, or 7.5 mg/kg and over), profound alterations in consciousness have been noted, and users often report out-of-body experiences or temporary psychosis.

A document entitled "The DXM FAQ," by William E. White, classified dextromethorphan's high-dose effects into four or five plateaus, each defined by a dosing range. The dosages are specified in ratios of milligrams (of the drug) per kilogram (of one's body mass). Doses are experientially, not scientifically derived. According to the FAQ, the plateaus occur as follows:

* First plateau: At a dosage of 1.5 to 2.5 mg/kg, effects include alertness, restlessness, increased heartbeat, increased body temperature, intensification of emotions, euphoria, loss of balance, and slight intoxication.

* Second plateau: At 2.5 to 7.5 mg/kg, effects are similar to the first plateau, but with heavier intoxication, choppy sensory input, a dreamlike state of consciousness, some detachment from outside world, and closed-eye hallucinations.

* Third plateau: At 7.5 to 15.0 mg/kg, effects include flanging of visual effects, difficulty recognizing people or objects, chaotic blindness, dreamlike vision, inability to comprehend language, abstract hallucinations, delayed reaction time, decision making impairment, feelings of peace and quiet, near complete loss of motor coordination, short-term memory impairment, and/or feelings of rebirth.

* Fourth plateau: At 15.0 mg/kg or more, an individual may experience a perceived loss of contact and control with their own body, changes in visual perception, out-of-body experiences, perceptions of contact with "superior" beings, other miscellaneous delusions, lack of movement or desire to move, rapid heart rate, complete blindness, increased hearing, and intensification of third plateau effects.

* Plateau Sigma: 2.5-7.5 mg/kg every three hours for 9–12 hours; occurs by prolonging dosage. Plateau sigma is marked by the presence of psychosis with visual and auditory hallucinations. Users have reported that inclinations manifest as auditory hallucinations; rather than simply feeling tired and sitting down, a user might hear a voice saying, "sit down now, you're tired," and feel inclined to obey. White says that of all the reports of Plateau Sigma experiences he received, over half were described as unpleasant.

Holy **** shit...

I can go down the street and buy a half-dozen bottles of 500 x 500mg pills off the shelf.

It used to be like that here - they brought in the new rule, oh maybe ten years ago.

I used to buy painkillers (paracetamol) in bulk - 200 tablet bottle - before the law changed. It's a damn nuisance. I suspect that the "suicide" thing is actually a cover to hide a de facto price increase caused by having to buy in small quantities.

Are you the Singaporean version of the legend that is trimandson (the younger)?

:? no idea what you're trying to get across.

All this just seems scarily pertinent to me.
:shock: Why?

Bipolar depressive.

Are you the Singaporean version of the legend that is trimandson (the younger)?

:? no idea what you're trying to get across.

All this just seems scarily pertinent to me.
:shock: Why?

Bipolar depressive.

Tailor-made for the military, then.

(Joking).

Holy **** shit...

It used to be like that here - they brought in the new rule, oh maybe ten years ago.

I used to buy painkillers (paracetamol) in bulk - 200 tablet bottle - before the law changed. It's a damn nuisance. I suspect that the "suicide" thing is actually a cover to hide a de facto price increase caused by having to buy in small quantities.

Apparently paracetamol suicides went down dramatically as a result; maybe 80% or something. It's also a nasty way to die, very painful and extremely slow.

Â