Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Grebo is also the name for a West African subgroup of people that are part of a larger group called Kru.

I was just looking it up too and it seems like 'Grebo', in the way I presume snowychap means, is a term exclusive to Birmingham, I never realised that.

It's also the guy who shot first in Star Wars as well, yeah dAVe trollface.png

Yeah, Grebo is a generic West Midlands term for anyone who is a bit "alternative" (skaters, Metallers, Goths etc). I'm sure it comes from bands like Ned's Atomic Dustbin and Pop Will Eat It's Self. Up North they're known as Boggers.

• Like 1

Grebo is also the name for a West African subgroup of people that are part of a larger group called Kru.

I was just looking it up too and it seems like 'Grebo', in the way I presume snowychap means, is a term exclusive to Birmingham, I never realised that.

It's also the guy who shot first in Star Wars as well, yeah dAVe trollface.png

Yeah, Grebo is a generic West Midlands term for anyone who is a bit "alternative" (skaters, Metallers, Goths etc). I'm sure it comes from bands like Ned's Atomic Dustbin and Pop Will Eat It's Self. Up North they're known as Boggers.

I got called a Grebo when I liked Nirvana.

An Indian Grebo! What a freak!!

• Like 1

I got called one when I started listening to Placebo.

A West Indian Grebo! What a freak!!

Although, I suppose half of me was causing no great shock , I know, I know.

• Like 1

Grebo is also the name for a West African subgroup of people that are part of a larger group called Kru.

It's also the guy who shot first in Star Wars as well, yeah dAVe trollface.png

we had the word Grebo down here in Surrey when I was at school , so looking at around 83 / 84

We used it for for people who were a bit scruffy specifically with greasy unwashed hair

Yeah you're right, it's not in general use, at least not for people of Afro Caribbean heritage.

I think it does get used for some other ethnicities of course and I mention that because if I look at some people of Indian or Pakistani ethnicity for example, I am very similar in skin tone to them and they are brown and so am I, do you know what I mean?

I think it's because I've always grown up with the attitude that I wanted to identify myself as having dual heritage because I didn't want to exclude either one of my parents so I've always said I was brown.

Because I'm not black and I'm not white but I'm as much black as I am white. So my skin is brown, if you know what I'm saying? I am quite dark skinned for someone of mixed heritage but it's brown.

But then you could argue, my Mammy is not white, she's pink and ruddy cheeked :) So I don't necessarily identify as brown just in an attempt to try and be literal, more as, like I've written, a nod to both my parents, an acknowledgement of both their skin tones as well as my own.

I think brown could be used to describe skin tone yeah and I wouldn't see it being a problem if it was. I was being a little facietous by correcting him calling me black even though I do prefer, for want of a better word, to be identified as such.

I mean, I do have dreadlocks too, I think that tips people towards identifying me as black as well.

I've always seen the label "black" as a reference to someone's (presumed) ethnic background, rather than a reference to skin colour per se.

Someone who looks "white" could identify himself as a black person, for example, if he has African ancestry, and/or grew up in a black family.

Yeah you're right, it's not in general use, at least not for people of Afro Caribbean heritage.

I think it does get used for some other ethnicities of course and I mention that because if I look at some people of Indian or Pakistani ethnicity for example, I am very similar in skin tone to them and they are brown and so am I, do you know what I mean?

I think it's because I've always grown up with the attitude that I wanted to identify myself as having dual heritage because I didn't want to exclude either one of my parents so I've always said I was brown.

Because I'm not black and I'm not white but I'm as much black as I am white. So my skin is brown, if you know what I'm saying? I am quite dark skinned for someone of mixed heritage but it's brown.

But then you could argue, my Mammy is not white, she's pink and ruddy cheeked :) So I don't necessarily identify as brown just in an attempt to try and be literal, more as, like I've written, a nod to both my parents, an acknowledgement of both their skin tones as well as my own.

I think brown could be used to describe skin tone yeah and I wouldn't see it being a problem if it was. I was being a little facietous by correcting him calling me black even though I do prefer, for want of a better word, to be identified as such.

I mean, I do have dreadlocks too, I think that tips people towards identifying me as black as well.

I've always seen the label "black" as a reference to someone's (presumed) ethnic background, rather than a reference to skin colour per se.

Someone who looks "white" could identify himself as a black person, for example, if he has African ancestry, and/or grew up in a black family.

Like in the jerk?

• Like 1

Could be, that's an interesting way to look at it.

What am I then though? Still brown? I'm someone who looks "black" with Northwestern European and African ancestry, who grew up in a black and white family. 

What am I then though? Still brown? I'm someone who looks "black" with Northwestern European and African ancestry, who grew up in a black and white family.

You my friend are Brazilian.

• Like 1

You my friend are Brazilian.

It all makes sense now.

I've exhausted my 'likes' by the way but when I get a new batch, some unleashing will be done.

Now you know why you speak Portuguese!

Just been told my phone and iPad gonna be confiscated so better go to sleep.

One thing we've learnt tonight is that Grebo is not an exclusively Brummie word. Urban Dictionary is wrong.

That's Greedo, you uncultured swine.

I know, I know. This guy -

cgbOvRW.gif

Right?

• Like 1

Yes, but you are treated as black by those around you (strangers around you, anyway), and this is an experience you share with millions upon millions of other people around the world who live in white-majority societies and happen to be of African descent (and look more-or-less black).

That's just one way of seeing it, of course.

Edited by legov
  • Like 1

Â