Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think there should be some sort of an attempt to try and keep this as structured as possible...i.e. maybe player/info/any info or evidence (links) otherwise think this could be a record breaker thread and even willing to put every linked/rumoured player into one post on this page.

God this thread is boring already ;)

Lets have them Klose, Nope he will want to play in europe! Good thats that one out of the way! :roll:

The quality of players we can get will be determined by where we finish in the league, which err won't be good.

Well I was just typing in the other thread that just got locked and have been redirected here. Anyway...

First and foremost I think would be right back and a reserve right back. Hughes is clearly not up to it, even in the reserve role. Bardsley unfortunately is only short term, but if this was to be made permanent then I will have no complaints. Delaney would be good for the reserve role IF he could actually stay fit, however that is getting increasingly unlikely. Bardsley is a good call, so is Luke Young, particularly if Charlton go down. If they do, I would put strong money on him coming to us. Of course there is also the foreign alternative and those are endless.

Next would be the defensive midfield player. The reason why I don't think this is the number 1 priority position is because we do already have Mccann who can play here. Yes he is not the player who will take us forward, but he would be certainly adequate in the reserve role. Diop mentioned in January but I do not see him as a player for the future. Yes he has good ability now, but being the same age as Mccann means that this role would need to be looked at again sooner rather than later. I would say Barton would be the best choice for this. Really think this guy would do the job and he would do it very well. Also being available at £5.5million is a very big bonus for us. Yes he did say that he wouldn't leave in January but it certainly does not rule out a summer move and I think if we can do well until the end of the season, he could very well be playing in a Villa shirt next season.

Next position I think would be Left Back. Yes Bouma is playing well at the moment, and it is often mooted that Barry should be playing left back. However I think Barry should be playing on the left of a 3 man midfield and that is exactly where I would put him. Bouma I think needs some decent competition in order for him to continue his good form, and Samuel ain't doing that. Therefore a new left back is definately needed. Leigton Baines is a very good call, but I have a strong feeling he will be moving to Spurs in the summer. It is no real secret that they want him and they will end up paying for him. I like Matthew Taylor at Portsmouth and although Portsmouth are doing very well this season, I get the feeling that not all is okay behind the scenes. What with the rumours that Gaydamak doesn't actually have any real money and they have already spent most of it. I think they did only spend £2million in transfer window and both players were defenders. When they are in need of a striker you kind of expect them to buy one if they had the money. If they need the money, then I would expect to see a few players leave. Therefore I think Taylor is a fairly viable option. There is also the possiblity of O'Halloran filling this position, but it is far, far too early to tell yet.

Next I would say a Goalkeeper is probably needed. I am a big fan of Sorenson, but I am doubting whether he can cut it at the next level. I am having serious doubts about Taylor as well. Yes he had good matches for Arsenal, but I am struggling to remember a decent game he has had in a Villa shirt. Yes it can be argued that he hasn't really had a chance, but surely if MON felt he could do a job better than Sorensen, surely he would have picked Taylor ahead of Sorenson? So even if Sorenson stays, we would almost certainly be looking to replace Taylor. The name that instantly comes to mind is Gordon. With Hearts looking to sell him it is a certainty that he will be leaving in the summer. Problem is that Arsenal will be looking for a keeper in the summer as well and I have heard Wenger is a fan of Gordon. However there could be some other good goalkeepers available. Foster and Carson, both on loan this season and their owner clubs have quite a lot of goalkeepers (Liverpool bought another one in January whilst Man Utd have Kuszacak (sic). With both Carson and Foster playing regular first team premiership football this season, then are not likely to want to go back to 3rd choice at Liverpool and Man Utd respectively. We should be going for these guys.

An experianced centre half and a goalscorer have both been put forward but I do not think we need either. I am confident Laursen will come back and actually play a whole season for us, therefore we don't need another centre half. As for a goalscorer, I do think that Moore will become that sooner rather than later. I have confidence in the lad and I cannot wait for his return.

As for the rest of the squad, Hendrie, Samuel, Hughes, Taylor, Sutton, Berger, Djemba-Djemba will all almost certainly be gone in the summer. Angel, Delaney, Gardner are treading a fine line. If Angel is okay playing second fiddle to Carew thats fine by me since it is hard to find a good target man. If he doesn't then a new target man will be needed. Delaney I mentioned earlier. Gardner could make it or he could not, can't tell with the guy. MON will have a much better idea though and thankfully will be the one making the decision, not me.

So with that in mind the squad will be something like this...

Sorenson/New GK/Olejnik

New RB/Reserve RB/Delaney - Mellberg/Cahill/Laursen/Ridgewell - Bouma/New LB/O'Halloran

New DM/Mccann/Osbourne/Gardner

Petrov/Davis - Barry

Moore/Young/Maloney/Agbonlahor (for both wings since all have been known to play either side)

Carew/Angel or New Target Man

You will notice that Barry doesn't have a back up, but since Davis, Gardner, the new DM, Maloney, Young, Osbourne and Mccann could all (potentially) play in that position, we should not have a problem.