Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

I just spent AGES on the other thread drawing out a detailed list of in's and out's for the summer,complete with justification for each move and theory as to spending, squad size, quality etc.

When I entered my message, I found the topic had been LOCKEd whilst I was writing it. Which was VERY annoying!!

I'm not going to do that again but the conclusion was I think about 6 players will leave and about 8 come in, leaving us with a 27 man squad of depth and quality all over the park.

I predicted that the net spend would be around £45-50million which sounds like a hell of a lot but would give us a GREAT shout of qualifying for the Champions League next season, and would be better than spending a similar amount over a longer period of time because the benefits would obviously come quicker.

I am still salivating at the squad I drew up and devastated that my detailed project was lost.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who did you have to leave? I have got a minimum of seven and those I am certain will be leaving!

Also £50million? Who did you play to buy???

Also copying and pasting works a treat for when you can't post what you want :winkold:

Who did you have to leave? I have got a minimum of seven and those I am certain will be leaving!

Also copying and pasting works a treat for when you can't post what you want :winkold:

I couldn't retrieve what I'd done unfortunately. The squad I had, which was a best case scenario job and from which you can work out the 'in's and out's' was the following:

Gordon

Sorenson

Olejnik

Hughes

Bardsley

Mellberg

Cahill

Laursen

Ridgewell

Chivu

Bouma

Baines

Young

Maloney

McCann

Barton

Petrov

Davis

Gardner

Osbourne

Barry

Richardson

Carew

Moore

Bent

Agbonlahor

Sharp

I would want the Ridge to stay but not fussed about Davis. He is less certain to become the quality player we had hoped.

For versatility alone, Hughes could be worth keeping but I doubt he would get anywhere near the team unless we were crippled with injuries!

I would sign a right back, centre back, left back, central midfielder and a striker.

For example: Bardsley (if he proves himself), Distin, Baines, Barton, Bellamy. They would cost in my opinion: £3 million, Free, £4.5 million, £5.5 million, £8 million. That is £21 million. SWP could also be added to that for £10 million making £31 million. A move for someone like Reo Coker for about £6 million could alsobe interesting.

I would then get rid of Samuel and Angel for a combined fee of £2.5million if we are lucky and if his injuries persist I would say goodbye to Sutton too. Hendire is as good as gone and Berger is likely to be off too.

We also have to keep on the look out for good young talent!

I couldn't retrieve what I'd done unfortunately. The squad I had, which was a best case scenario job and from which you can work out the 'in's and out's' was the following:

Gordon

Sorenson

Olejnik

Hughes

Bardsley

Mellberg

Cahill

Laursen

Ridgewell

Chivu

Bouma

Baines

Young

Maloney

McCann

Barton

Petrov

Davis

Gardner

Osbourne

Barry

Richardson

Carew

Moore

Bent

Agbonlahor

Sharp

I'll have that.

I would want the Ridge to stay but not fussed about Davis. He is less certain to become the quality player we had hoped.

For versatility alone, Hughes could be worth keeping but I doubt he would get anywhere near the team unless we were crippled with injuries!

I would sign a right back, centre back, left back, central midfielder and a striker.

For example: Bardsley (if he proves himself), Distin, Baines, Barton, Bellamy. They would cost in my opinion: £3 million, Free, £4.5 million, £5.5 million, £8 million. That is £21 million. SWP could also be added to that for £10 million making £31 million. A move for someone like Reo Coker for about £6 million could alsobe interesting.

I would then get rid of Samuel and Angel for a combined fee of £2.5million if we are lucky and if his injuries persist I would say goodbye to Sutton too. Hendrie is as good as gone and Berger is likely to be off too.

We also have to keep on the look out for good young talent!

Samuel's contract is up in the summer, he will leave for free. However your player choices ain't bad at all. Think Baines would cost more and I ain't interested in Bellamy. Swap him for Bent and we could be on to a very good team for what should be around £30million.

From another thread but i think we will conduct business like so in the summer -

INS - A goalkeeper, a defensive midfielder, 2 right backs, 1 good young left back, 1 centre back, 1 winger, 1 striker, 1 central midfielder.

For these id hope we look at-

GK - Carson, Foster, Cudicini

Right Back - Bardsley (impressed so far), Young,

Left Back - Hoyte, Baines, Bale!?

Centre Back - Distin, Davies

Defensive & Centre Mid - Barton, Reo-Coker, Muntari, Appiah, Parker

Winger - SWP, Milner

Striker - Bent, Keane, Defoe

Id also think that presuming we get the targets we want the following players will be sold/released/ out of contract and leave the club-

Taylor, Delaney, Hughes, Samuel, DJDJ, Hendrie, Berger, Sutton and unfortunately i think Angel & Laursen might join that group.

Out on loan - Osbourne, Gardner, Olejnik, Williams

So ideally id say transfers would resemble this -

OUT -

Taylor 1mil

Delaney released

Hughes 500k-1mil

Samuel released

DJDJ released

Hendrie released

Berger released

Sutton released

IN -

Carson 3-5mil

Bardsley 2-4mil

Hoyte 2-4mil

Baines 6-8mil

CB 4-6mil

Barton 5.5

SWP 7-10mil

Bent 10-12mil

Considering A.) Randy knew when buying Villa that the squad needed serious money invested into it and B.) Each club is going to get 45mil as part of the new sky deal i believe ( correct me if im wrong here ) Then i think we could see us spend this amount of money on these or similar profile players

I wouldn't be surprised if MON doesn't go back in for Milner - shades of Maloney from Celtic - as I think he's almost out of contract with Newcs in the summer

He was excellent the other night, he might be happy there now plus his value will have rocketed. We should have got him 12 months ago, but for Doug he be ours I recon, and at a bargain price too!

I pledge £20 to VillaTalk of we break the £10 million barrier on 1 player in the summer. I already owe £20 because we signed 3 permanent deals in the January window, so i hope to pay another one in the summer, and i hope its for Darren Bent.

I wouldn't be surprised if MON doesn't go back in for Milner - shades of Maloney from Celtic - as I think he's almost out of contract with Newcs in the summer

He was excellent the other night, he might be happy there now plus his value will have rocketed. We should have got him 12 months ago, but for Doug he be ours I recon, and at a bargain price too!

it was fat freddie who stopped us ....

I think as time moves on we will be more in the position of being able to rotate players to suit the opposition and to give them a rest where appropriate. We have begun to see this already. Essentially I am cautioning against saying that just because someone (eg Ridge) is 'dropped' for one game it doesn't necessarily mean MON 'clearly doesn't rate him'. Players are beginning to be 'rested' now rather than 'dropped'; previously we were fire fighting, now we have a certain amount of control and time, as we have a little more strength in depth.