Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

He carried out 19 in his first season for Charlton, and was on his way half through this season when he became injured. Imagine him at a better club

Valid point. I still want to sign them both though. Seriously.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of sitting on Blandys fence :wink:, I think you're both right...

Honestly, if the cash is there, I reckon we should go after both of them in the summer (this is assuming their respective clubs go down)

One of the problems when Carew went off on Saturday - and against Newcastle - is it became blatantly obvious how we missed him holding the ball up (and accentuated what was already obvious, in as much as we were woefully poor at it before!) so that is where Ashton comes in. I also agree that he is the closest thing to Shearer that England have these days. Now, while many people on here hate the bloke, I'd seriously question anyone that dismissed his ability, so comparing Ashton to him is quite the compliment!

At the same time, I think if Darren Bent was available, it would be criminal not to go in for him.

Also, one of the biggest factors in succesful sides is options in attack. The last time we REALLY had that at the Villa was Deano/Dalian, with a young up-and-coming Dwight Yorke and a wily old Cyrille Regis as back-up. Undoubted quality all round.

Now, while we appear to have that now with the new signings, imagine a front five to pick from of Carew, Young, Maloney, Ashton, Bent. Not even counting Agbonlahor or Moore. This is of course including that Agbonlahor, Young and Maloney can all be used wide. Maybe Luke Moore would benefit from a season-long loan at a Championship side?

I am just saying that, this summer could be the biggest ever in terms of Aston Villa, and maybe our youngsters could even be in a position to gain experience at other levels, like they do at Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal. I could be getting ahead of myself here, but this could be a massive period for us, and I really hope we have gone on a bit of a late run to give ourselves a strong league position when the end of season arrives.

Feel free to mock me now... :winkold:

I rather fancy the partnership of Ashton and Bent myself,

but it would rock our squad though. It would be the end of Sutton and Angel for sure,

as well as Moore, Carew, Young or Gaby, as well as Maloney..... just too many players alike....

What luxury that would have been :)

I'm surprised David Villa hasn't been mentioned yet. Villa for Villa!

well from a link off newsnow

Villa said: "People speak of Chelsea's interest in me, but these rumours don't bother me at all. I don't have to prove myself to anybody because my present and future lies with Valencia."

he's obviously saving himself for us

I agree with everything you are saying Sheriff except for the comment about Moore. He is premiership quality in my opinion and would not benefit by playing in the Championship. I think he would sooner leave than do that and I wouldn't blamce him.

I see him as very similar to Bent and given a run in the team I think he would be scoring at a similar rate. I appreciate that this is just my opinion but I think Ashton would be more important than Bent because of this.

West Hams remaining fixtures -

vs Watford

@ Charlton

vs Spurs

@ Blackburn

vs Boro

@ Arsenal

vs Chelsea

@ Sheffield

vs Everton

@ Wigan

vs Bolton

@ Manu

Charltons last 12 fixtures -

@ Manu

vs Wham

@ Watford

vs Newcastle

vs Wigan

@ Man city

vs Reading

@ Everton

vs Sheff U

@ Blackburn

vs Spurs

@ Liverpool

Dont see either of these teams getting enuf points from those fixtures to survive, definately not wham. Maybe they might drag Sheef U or Wigan into it again but to be honest i dont think so and if that is the case i think there are a few players prime to be plucked from those sinking ships. Wouldnt touch the hired guns of wham with a barge pole but reo-coker, ashton, ferdinand maybe, and from charlton only Bent really but that is a player of such pedigree it would be a top signing!

Found this on wikipedia

It has been announced that during the 2007/2008 season, Nike will supply the team sportswear. The club are expected in the next couple of days to announce their interest in 17 year old local sensation Shaun Walsh who has caught the eye of a number of midlands based clubs. It is believed Villa are offering the teenager a two week trial before offering him his first professional terms.

here

Anyone know who this kid is or for whom he plays? Any good?