Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Sidwell went to Chelsea we'd never hear of him again!

Exactly. I can't believe for a second that he'd be that silly. Unless he believes he can be a world beater. I'd hope Steve Coppell would talk sense into him. Can't believe Chelsea want him either.

Realistically Villa is not in our league by a mile. He is one of La Liga's most prolific finishers and has already shown his desire to play for one of the big four.

I believe Frederic Kanoute is the most prolific finisher of La Liga this season.

He said 'one of' :?

Yes he did. I mentioned Kanoute because he was never a hit in the Premiership. La Liga is a very good league, but there is no guarantees that even the best players from La Liga would be a success in the Premiership. I would be happy if Villa came here, but I wouldn't pay more than £12-15m for him as a player and maybe £3-4m more just for his name.

Exactly. I can't believe for a second that he'd be that silly. Unless he believes he can be a world beater. I'd hope Steve Coppell would talk sense into him. Can't believe Chelsea want him either.

Well...how many believed that Baros was on his way to Chelsea? Sidwell is a very good player and I dont think that Chelsea value him any different. Sidwell would be good for Villa...and probably even for Chelsea.

I mentioned Kanoute because he was never a hit in the Premiership.

Again, I don't agree. It's a mis-conception that he wasn't a hit. He had a better than 1 in 3 ratio for Spurs and for West Ham. Only the top strikers can do better than 1 in 3 and he did - with 2 clubs.

Well...how many believed that Baros was on his way to Chelsea? Sidwell is a very good player and I dont think that Chelsea value him any different. Sidwell would be good for Villa...and probably even for Chelsea.

The main difference is that Baros was going to Chelsea to fill a hole, as a stop-gap in the January window. They wont need stop-gaps in the summer, so Sidwell going there would be a proper transfer.

I mentioned Kanoute because he was never a hit in the Premiership.

Again, I don't agree. It's a mis-conception that he wasn't a hit. He had a better than 1 in 3 ratio for Spurs and for West Ham. Only the top strikers can do better than 1 in 3 and he did - with 2 clubs.

Wikipedia says he got 29 goals in 84 apperances for West Ham and 14 goals in 60 apperances for Spurs. That's nearly 1 in 3 combined, but he didn't do it for two clubs as you say he did.

I didn't say he was poor. But 24 from 55 games in Sevilla is a much better ratio.

I only mentioned him because it might give some perspective on how good Villa really is. Savo Milosevic managed 37 in 72 games for Real Zaragosa as another example.

Wikipedia says he got 29 goals in 84 apperances for West Ham and 14 goals in 60 apperances for Spurs. That's nearly 1 in 3 combined, but he didn't do it for two clubs as you say he did.

Don't rely on wikipedia, it doesn't take substitute appearances into account. He was a sub a good few times for Spurs.

Don't rely on wikipedia, it doesn't take substitute appearances into account. He was a sub a good few times for Spurs.

OK. Checked at Soccernet and he has 71 games in all competitions for Spurs, both starting and as a sub. 21 goals in all competitions (14 in the league, 7 in cups, including a hattrick vs Crystal Palace in the FA Cup 3rd round). Still isn't 1 in 3.

But this thread isn't about Frederic Kanoute. Let's not go off topic, as we have another forum for that?

David Villa, maybe the most highly regarded striker in 2007, would cost around 30M if any club was to buy him and he wanted to go.

He is young and he bangs in goals. You don't just buy him now, you buy him for 7-8 years and he will score 25 each season.

Ability + potential + reputation + contract length + goals = 30-35M

12M? Get out of town, you wouldn't get even get Darren Bent for 12M (so it seems)

OK. Checked at Soccernet and he has 71 games in all competitions for Spurs, both starting and as a sub. 21 goals in all competitions (14 in the league, 7 in cups, including a hattrick vs Crystal Palace in the FA Cup 3rd round). Still isn't 1 in 3.

But this thread isn't about Frederic Kanoute. Let's not go off topic, as we have another forum for that?

Actually it's 14 in 41 starts for Spurs (can't really count coming on in the 89th minute and not scoring in these statistics) which is a tiny bit better than 1 in 3, but your right, it's off topic, and on another point, it's not really my business :winkold:

Actually it's 14 in 41 starts for Spurs (can't really count coming on in the 89th minute and not scoring in these statistics) which is a tiny bit better than 1 in 3, but your right, it's off topic, and on another point, it's not really my business :winkold:

And you know for a fact that in his 19 league games where he came off the bench, it was in the 89th minute and not one of these goals were scored when he was used as a sub?

I don't care if it's off topic. But I'm not a Mod. Mods don't like people who hasn't got their facts right and are encouraging other people to go off topic. :-)

And you know for a fact that in his 19 league games where he came off the bench, it was in the 89th minute and not one of these goals were scored when he was used as a sub?

I don't care if it's off topic. But I'm not a Mod. Mods don't like people who hasn't got their facts right and are encouraging other people to go off topic. :-)

OK we'll go back on topic, but El_Hierro is right, it's 14 in 41 which was my point all along :nod:

Anyhoo, he mightn't be a bad shout himself as a target cuz he might fancy another crack at England seeing as he did so well here ;)

It says you have to have 8 players in 'the squad' this is open to all kinds abuse!

What are the odds on the current offending teams simply filling a few places in their squads with token nationals and playing the same foreigner leaden 1st teams!

In my eyes if they are to implement a law like this the rule should correspond to the 1st 11!

It is restricted to clubs competing in Europe. That means of the 25 players a club can register, 8 must be homegrown. Therefore, to compete in Europe, clubs must ensure that these 8 players are of the right standard and as such will ensure that they are more than just token players.

OK we'll go back on topic, but El_Hierro is right, it's 14 in 41 which was my point all along :nod:

Good. Then I won't mention that Kanoute got a goal coming on as a sub in Martin Jol's first game in charge. Or that he scored a screamer vs Fulham when he came on as a sub... :-)