Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

One Alves a day keeps the moaners away. New board's tactics. Wonder who it is tomorrow. Joao Alves of Sporting perhaps? Fantastic player I'm led to believe.

In Cyber's defence, mademan, he clearly stated 'Afonso' (did his parents have problems spelling, should have been an L in there surely?) in his original post and there HAS been a lot of Dutch football on Eurosport this season. Not that I've seen any of it, of course.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dress it up how you like Jez. I don't know why I'm letting it wind me up, I expected it.

Oh well.

I'm not dressing anything up, i think the only overacting going on is from people thinking that panicking is going on when its not. :?

Asking wheather people think we have missed out or not, is not panicking.

I wouldnt be surprised if you are Pro-McCann...

NB: This is the factor that determines the valdity of any views expressed by any poster on any topic.

I'm glad somebody pointed out the lunacy of that comment.

edit - Jez, without any evidence to support an answer either way, what's the point in asking the same question over and over?

Because its the same question involving different players. :D

One Alves a day keeps the moaners away. New board's tactics. Wonder who it is tomorrow. Joao Alves of Sporting perhaps? Fantastic player I'm led to believe.

In Cyber's defence, mademan, he clearly stated 'Afonso' (did his parents have problems spelling, should have been an L in there surely?) in his original post and there HAS been a lot of Dutch football on Eurosport this season. Not that I've seen any of it, of course.

If you don't want a negative response you better keep parents out of this, :evil:

His name is spelt AFONSO, as stated here!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afonso_Alves

Jez, i think the experience of the Jagielka to Everton rumour should really serve as an example to you, and others, to not go overboard on a link/rumour when either a player is linked to us or another team.

The manager and board know exactly who they want and I for one trust them to go and make a damned fine effort to get them

this remind me of when the papers and sites kept saying "Young is believed to prefer a move to Tottenham"....it's only over when pen hits papaer IMO

Totally agree, the bottom line is the papers need a story, a majority of the PL players will be / preparing to go on holiday. Other European leagues are nearing the end of their seasons so all they can do is speculate like we are doing between ourselves. Nothing will happen until mid June

Why would we want Jagielka?

He'd be about 4th choice in central midfield and 4th choice in central defence.

And he doesn't play right back.

I am not saying that we do. But if we do then that is the manage's choice and he must feel that the player adds to our team, perhaps even as a right back who knows.

If you don't want a negative response you better keep parents out of this, :evil:

His name is spelt AFONSO, as stated here!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afonso_Alves

I think El_Hierro was on about Afonso Alves parents not yours!

Jags no deal...yet

Still time for us to sign a very good young player....:D

I wonder, on a general basis that is, if MON has several choices for each position he wants filled (which he obviously has), should he move for his 2nd choice in a situation where the transfer situation of his 1st choice might need longer to sort out? In order not to lose the 2nd choice as well I mean. Then if you buy your 2nd choice, suddenly it turns out you could have got your 1st.

I don't think we should be very surprised if it turns out that we have to wait a while before we see anything happening. Unless of course MON decides to bring in a Steven Naismith or a Billy Sharp, which probably will take shorter to sort out.

Say if Jagielka is 2nd choice for RB and Micah Richards is 1st. Would (or should) MON go for Jagielka before Everton gets him, or should he wait until the Man.City takeover is sorted and the new manager allows (or not) Richards to leave, and risk losing Jagielka?

Or if the Sneijder to Valencia thing drags out, should MON go for his 2nd choice instead(whoever it might be) and risk losing out on both?

Assuming all names are targets of course.

a player gets linked to a club and people say we've missed out, but i guarantee if the same player was linked to us those same people would probably be telling us we had no chance of getting them anyway.

This thread is getting ridiculous.

Some excellent points.

1 Your usual reference to "the moaners." Such a loveable characteristic.

2 Referring back to an earlier argument despite a mod telling people to stop it.

3 It is indeed Afonso in Portuguese - the language they speak in Brazil.

Jags no deal...yet

Still time for us to sign a very good young player....:D

I wonder, on a general basis that is, if MON has several choices for each position he wants filled (which he obviously has), should he move for his 2nd choice in a situation where the transfer situation of his 1st choice might need longer to sort out? In order not to lose the 2nd choice as well I mean. Then if you buy your 2nd choice, suddenly it turns out you could have got your 1st.

I don't think we should be very surprised if it turns out that we have to wait a while before we see anything happening. Unless of course MON decides to bring in a Steven Naismith or a Billy Sharp, which probably will take shorter to sort out.

Say if Jagielka is 2nd choice for RB and Micah Richards is 1st. Would (or should) MON go for Jagielka before Everton gets him, or should he wait until the Man.City takeover is sorted and the new manager allows (or not) Richards to leave, and risk losing Jagielka?

Or if the Sneijder to Valencia thing drags out, should MON go for his 2nd choice instead(whoever it might be) and risk losing out on both?

Assuming all names are targets of course.

Ok Jagielka could make a good right back, but its not his position. He really isn't tried and tested there. Although his a decent player, i seriously dont think he would or should get into out first team. I hope for better targets this summer i really do.